wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

New collector seeking your advice, opinions and experience
Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Bowietx
Association Member

Default New collector seeking your advice, opinions and experience

All,

I have learned a lot so far fro this site and appreciate the shared experiences and opinions of the members here. To date, I have focused mainly on weapons, but have now become interested in a wider range of Militaria and at this point have been trying to focus and learn more about German WWII uniforms. Books and this site have done much to inform and build a knowledge base, but I would like to gather your opinions on the topic of what uniforms have held value the best overtime and suggestions of what types of uniforms would be appropriate for a first time buyer. I appreciate rare items of high quality, but don't have an unlimited budget. I have tried to collect honest examples from the start as I tend to learn more from the direct experience than through second hand information. Also to buy the best that I can afford which is usually less than the best offered. To this end I would like to find an honest uniform that will hold value. It seems that the Waffenrocks are slightly more affordable on the whole, but a thread from this site circa 2005 attributed this to the perceived availability which sounds to be greater than that of combat uniforms. What are your thoughts on which may be better to pursue and what recommendations do you have for sellers that are reliable and accurate in their descriptions? What uniforms did you start with and what lessons did you learn from the experience? Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide!!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Infantry and artillery in any cut will be cheaper then others and hard to sell, just so many of them! One of my favorite uniforms is an artillery tunic but..... Anyway, if you take your time there are some good deals out there these days, I like waffenrocks too but combat tunics are usually a little easier to sell too. Then again, you almost never see rare color pipings in rocks. What price range are you looking to spend?
Good luck!
Bob

Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
Erich B.

My advice would go along with BobI's. The most important thing, however, is to figure out what branch/arm/type of unit that you find the most interesting, and look for that. As you mentioned, buy the best example that you can afford. If you are buying militaria to sell for a profit, it will take experience, familiarity with the market, working out what is selling and where it's selling, how you would market it, etc. The odds are that you will be disappointed when you decide to sell the item(s) IMO as, unless you get lucky and find something very good 'out of the woodwork', it takes a while to know what you're looking at and how easily it would be to sell.
So, IMO the bottom line is, as with any collectible, buy what you like the best and don't over-extend your finances. That way you won't mind keeping it and won't be forced to sell in a hurry to recoup the $.
Erich

Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Bowietx
Association Member

Thank you for sharing your experience and insights, each is tremendously valuable and provides a window into this subject. To answer your questions, first and foremost I am interested in correctness/authenticity. The branch for me at this point is secondary to the desire to start with a vetted uniform that I can learn from and have for a reference in regards to materials, sticking techniques and design. That said a combat used infantry tunic is of interest for the history that it saw and the story told, but also like the Gebirgsjäger uniforms. Based on your thoughts, it may be that due to commonality one could be found for a decent price. I do not want to overbuy as you pointed out so have the time to find the correct one. If it holds value I will be happy. My intent is not to buy and sell, but if a sale was required to trade up to a better example I don't want to be handicapped by a poor quality example. What were your first purchases and did you stick with that branch or decide on a different path?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Hi Bowietx!
Honestly, in your shoes I would probably spend the extra money and buy from someone like Virtualgrenadier(sp?). He has quality uniforms, he is a forum sponsor and trusted. It will be cheaper in the long run to buy from him vs. searching for a bargain. I have seen many people try to save money and not have the technical knowledge on the material they want, it cost them much more in the long run!
You can try the estand but there are bad experiences that happen there too, Mike is your best bet.
Bob

Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Bowietx
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobI View Post
Hi Bowietx!
Honestly, in your shoes I would probably spend the extra money and buy from someone like Virtualgrenadier(sp?). He has quality uniforms, he is a forum sponsor and trusted. It will be cheaper in the long run to buy from him vs. searching for a bargain. I have seen many people try to save money and not have the technical knowledge on the material they want, it cost them much more in the long run!
You can try the estand but there are bad experiences that happen there too, Mike is your best bet.
Bob

Sir,

Copy and completely agree with the buy once cry once philosophy. What is the thought process on worn vs new looking? The combat worn uniforms have a greater draw for me from a been there done that look, but not sure what the industry thinks in this regard. Thanks again and I sent you a PM with a query.

V/R

Will

Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
BobI
Forum Sponsor

Hi Again Will!
I think that depends on the individual, I have both. Some worn uniforms are just plain cool, especially combat uniforms!!! Waffenrocks should be mint though (for me) since they are dress tunics. It also depends on how the wear or damage looks for me.
Bob

Old 06-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Steve Turner
Forum Sponsor

Hi,

I think it's personal preference, if you prefer to collect waffenrocks or combat uniforms both have some rare and desirable variants so it just depends what you like. I have always liked combat uniforms personally, they are a little rarer and seem to trade hands quicker when for sale.

Good luck, I'm sure you will find a lot of information here on the forums

Regards,
Steve