wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

e-stand pioneer pickelhaube
Old 11-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
nlmedic

Default e-stand pioneer pickelhaube

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for....php?t=1020675

May I have your thoughts on the leather chinstrap?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

I'm not as worried about the chinstrap on this one as I am about something else. The chinstrap may be original, or it may not be original. Without better photos of it taken off the helmet, showing close ups of the stitching on the back side and the back side leather of the strap, it's hard to say whether or not the strap is original.

What does concern me is that it looks like someone took an M15 Prussian helmet with steel fittings and nickel plated or chromed the exterior viewable area of the fittings on this helmet. Just my two cents worth opinion on it.

And this would be the first M15 Prussian enlisted helmet I've seen that has a carry/storage case with it.

Best Regards,

Alan

Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
TheGuardian

Interesting remark, anyone sharing this thought...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L29 met Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
Jleb2
Association Member

Sorry, Have to agree with Alan on this one. M15 plated IMO

James

Old 11-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
C. Roelens
Association Member

IMO, Alan's assessment is spot-on. Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but this whole helmet appears to have been boogered up. In addition to the hardware being chromed or nickel plated, the outside shell and underside of front visor and rear neck guard have also been cleaned or polished, or? The Prussian kokarde is a relic, while the white ring on the National/Reichs kokarde has been repainted. The leather on the chinstrap has been replaced, it is not original. The condition, and two seams in the liner should be looked at a litter closer. Lastly, the case and helmet do not belong together. Unfortunately, there's way too many red flags on this one.

Chuck

Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
C. Roelens
Association Member

There is a similar helmet currently running on ebay - Item 113955319034.

Chuck

Old 11-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #7
wer27
Association Member

hello, the helmet was given to me by the collector's son that the helmet had been kept by him inside the case and so I thought I would sell them together, even if it is not an official helmet. I think this is something more positive than not. Live shows better, which is not a m15 stripped and nickel-plated for sale but an original nickel-plated original with all nickel-plated elements and accessories

Old 11-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Quote:
by member wer27:
I think this is something more positive than not. Live shows better, which is not a m15 stripped and nickel-plated for sale but an original nickel-plated original with all nickel-plated elements and accessories
Sorry, this sounds like the dog wagging its own tail.

They never made M15 helmets with this type of M15 removable spike and then nickel plated them to turn them into a Pioneer helmet. Someone did this a long time after the war ended, in my humble opinion.

Sadly I can see in some of your fine photos that they only nickel plated or chromed the top or "outside" exterior surface of the Iron or Steel Metal Parts on this helmet in question. I can see this clearly on the iron or steel split brads inside the helmet. They are iron/steel in your photos. Looking inside the vent hole inside the helmet, my eyes can easily see the inside of the M15 spike base is clearly iron (with absolutely no nickel silver finish on it).

Original Pioneer helmets had the German NeuSilber fittings, (nickel silver) parts that were usually brass underneath the neusilber/nickel silver coating or finish on the fittings. The entire fitting was coated in neusilber/nickel silver, meaning the back side, inside, and all the entire surface of the fitting was covered with neusilber finish.

I know of absolutely No Existence of an M15 Enlisted Helmet with the M15 twist-off spike that was plated during the war and made into a pioneer helmet. In my opinion, someone doctored this up long after WW1 ended. Maybe in the 1970's or 1980's time period. We'll probably never know for sure when someone did this to the helmet.

Best Regards,

Alan

Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
Jleb2
Association Member

Alan- sounds like we are beating a dead horse here, he has obviously made up his mind it is good...

You have made all the valid and correct points on the helmet.

Hopefully someone does not get burned on it.

James