wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Where are these Pickelhauben?
Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Default Where are these Pickelhauben?

I found these photos from a trip I made in 1989. The envelope is marked "Belleau Wood and Reims".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180703_201607286.jpg (118.7 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180703_201556858.jpg (108.6 KB, 383 views)

Preußens Gloria!

"Democracy is more vindictive than cabinets, the wars of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
-
Winston S. Churchill, 1901

Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
leaftree
Association Member

Oh wow. That is nice.

pickelhauben
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
soldbuch

Default pickelhauben

Hi Willi, Fort de la Pompelle. Check their site 116 photographs.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
gregM
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaftree View Post
Oh wow. That is nice.
I agree ---- WOW

I was addicted to the Hokey-Pokey, but I turned myself around.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Alan Wilson
Association Member

Amazing! I am visiting France next Summer. This site is definitely on my list of places to visit. Mike

Old 07-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Chris Boonzaier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ve1tmqlWmI

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Thanks for posting these old photos Willi. As you mention, they were taken in 1989.

Sadly, it is my understanding that this view of the helmets is no longer available since 2015. They changed the displays, and only have a fraction of the collection now on view. At one time there were over 500 pieces of Imperial German headgear on display.

I was told by a collector friend that the whole helmet/headgear collection was amassed, in years when hardly anybody was interested in these objects, by a single individual, Charles Friese, who was an architect in the city of Nantes, in Western France. He donated his former collection to the museum.

The YouTube video is from 2012, before they changed the displays in 2015. Thanks for posting it Chris.

Here's a link to more discussion about the display on pickelhaubes.com forum: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/view...ompelle#p70160

Best Regards,

Alan

Brussels
Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
Steve Mezey
Forum Sponsor

Default Brussels

They also have a nice collection of Pickelhaube's at the War Museum in Brussels. Quite nice.
Steve

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Thanks for the link and information Alan!

Steve, I have been wanting to go to that museum in Brussels, so will do one day soon.

Last year I was at the museum at the Spandau Zitadelle, and they had Pickelhauben on display as well.

Preußens Gloria!

"Democracy is more vindictive than cabinets, the wars of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
-
Winston S. Churchill, 1901

Old 07-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
ROBB
Association Member

Very impressive display , shame it has gone.Rob

Old 07-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
Chris Boonzaier

hmmmm I was there a couple of times in the last 3 years.... I think they still had everything in the video?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Hi Chris,

I understand your statement of having been there a couple of times in the last 3-years. A full 3-years ago would put the clock back to 2015, when things were drastically changed in the museum, and from my understanding, they pulled most of the helmets off from display and made an entirely different much smaller display featuring less than 100 helmets all grouped together, lying on an inclined display panel, from the photo I have seen of the newer display. (I have never yet visited the museum, unfortunately. I have only seen photos of the old and new displays which were posted by friends on the pickelhaubes.com forum).

Here below is a direct quote from a collector friend who I believe lives in Belgium, and his quote is dated from December 18, 2015, on the pickelhaubes.com forum where the thread is located here on that forum: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/view...ompelle#p70160

Quote:
from "Pickelhaubes.com" Forum thead: by kaiser » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:33 pm
i have been there past july /august on a little trip and it was a verry big dissapointment
in the section welcome to pickelhaubes.com we all welcomed louise ,i have posted there some of my pics taken inside the fort but i doubt it if the see me again in there museum
normaly the have 560 helmets in display,wenn i was there the had not more of 20 or 30 in display as you can see on those pics
in 2016 the would move back som helmets but not all of them
if you made your trip down there you could let us know what ther status is on the pickelhaubes in display

jonas

I will search the pickelhaubes.com forum for some photos posted in 2015 of what the downsized display looked like, if I can still find them posted on that forum in light of the photobucket debacle sad loss of many photos on that fine forum.

Best Regards,

Alan

Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Sadly the photos that were hosted by the old photobucket are gone from the pickelhaubes.com thread that depicted what the post mid-2015 Much Smaller display of helmets looked like. You can read more about this fact on a different thread than what I posted above, this one also from pickelhaubes.com located here: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/view...p=67864#p67864

Best Regards,

Alan

What once was...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #14
pauke
Association Member

Default What once was...

Fort de la Pompelle looked like crushed concrete on the outside in the 1980’s when I was there and then inside the fantastic display in climate controlled cases was beyond belief. I’ll never forget the amazing totally unexpected display.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
Chris Boonzaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1czechlegion View Post
Hi Chris,

I understand your statement of having been there a couple of times in the last 3-years. A full 3-years ago would put the clock back to 2015, when things were drastically changed in the museum, and from my understanding, they pulled most of the helmets off from display and made an entirely different much smaller display featuring less than 100 helmets all grouped together, lying on an inclined display panel, from the photo I have seen of the newer display. (I have never yet visited the museum, unfortunately. I have only seen photos of the old and new displays which were posted by friends on the pickelhaubes.com forum).

Alan

Maybe it was a renovation? The 100 helmets on the sloped display is in the front passage, the ones Willi posted in the passages to the rear. Maybe the rooms to the rear were closed for some reason?