wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present

Bundesrepublik Deutschland, 1949-Present From West Germany through to the modern reunified German Republic.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #31
Guardian 5
Association Member

Hi Gents,

kration continues to make great strides and is looking for tips on field gear placement.

It is my recollection that unlike the "gear queers" of the U.S. Army where devising combat versus sustainment load was somewhat of a fetish, the BW mechanized warrior was very much minimalist. A belt, "y" straps, and a couple of G3 mag pouches and that was it. Constantly mounting and dismounting from a Marder with anything more than the basic kit above was just asking for trouble.

What say you Kelten Krieg Panzergrenadiere? I can't recall ever seeing a Greni with a canteen on his belt while many mechanized U.S. troops carried two.

Thanks,
TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv2.jpg (181.4 KB, 187 views)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #32
Guardian 5
Association Member

More gear pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear view.jpg (237.7 KB, 187 views)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #33
Guardian 5
Association Member

Another.

I would highly recommend the book, Modern German Panzergrenadiers by Michael Jerchel for detailed looks at Cold War era "West" German infantry in the field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rv1.jpg (249.8 KB, 187 views)

Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #34
ivbaust
Association Member

I’ve stumbled by accident over this thread and was immediately reminded of my service in the German Bundeswehr

I was serving in a „Panzergrenadierkompanie“ in 88/89. I have been with my platoon on a military exercise when the Berlin Wall came down and the border between West and East Germany was opened.

It was weird, strange, funny, fantastic, unbelievable! Really hard to describe! We practiced and of course the enemy was the „red army“. And suddenly the Iron Curtain didn’t exist anymore. Really strange!

Here’s a photo from October or November 1989, I think. We’ve been exercising with our „Marder Schützenpanzer“ in Northern Germany. I’m the one with the “Panzerfaust“ and „G3“ rifle in the middle of the front row
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 621F3F40-1C27-4FF4-A39F-20DE480BF890.jpg (126.1 KB, 126 views)

Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #35
Guardian 5
Association Member

Super foto!

Thanks,
TJ

Old 06-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #36
Proud Kraut

Nice "transition phase" picture. Looks like the soldier in the front row far right is wearing Flecktarn camo uniform already. These were the days...

Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #37
ivbaust
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Kraut View Post
Nice "transition phase" picture. Looks like the soldier in the front row far right is wearing Flecktarn camo uniform already. These were the days...

Yep, the comrade on the right came from a unit in Bavaria. They were equipped with the new stuff. Will search for more photos.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #38
ivbaust
Association Member

Here’s another photo from autumn 1989. It’s me during a break on the firing range. I’ve participated in the officer cadet course, which included the education to a tank commander on the armored tracked vehicle called “Marder”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4093FB33-8632-478F-8B5F-80891D89B9DF.jpg (94.1 KB, 92 views)

Old 06-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #39
Albert
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian 5 View Post
Hi Gents,

kration continues to make great strides and is looking for tips on field gear placement.

It is my recollection that unlike the "gear queers" of the U.S. Army where devising combat versus sustainment load was somewhat of a fetish, the BW mechanized warrior was very much minimalist. A belt, "y" straps, and a couple of G3 mag pouches and that was it. Constantly mounting and dismounting from a Marder with anything more than the basic kit above was just asking for trouble.

What say you Kelten Krieg Panzergrenadiere? I can't recall ever seeing a Greni with a canteen on his belt while many mechanized U.S. troops carried two.

Thanks,
TJ
The problem with the BW canteen was that it's carrier was very impractical compared to its U.S. counterpart. While the U.S. canteen was carried in a cloth carrier which was attached to the belt by two clips that held it in place firmly and, most importantly, quietly, the German canteen was carried in a metal container that was attached to the belt by a single relatively loose strap. The BW canteen would dangle around and create noise. Furthermore, getting the U.S. canteen out of its carrier was easy and could be done quickly, this was not the case with the German canteen. Therefore, we most often carried the canteen (w/o the carrier) in the side pocket of the ruck.

Yes, it was noted that the U.S. troops seemed to carry more, and always had their helmets on, but, at the same time their equipment was the object of our envy. We did believe that our boots were better though LOL. This was back in the late 80ies.