wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Japanese Militaria Forum

Japanese Militaria Forum All Japanese Militaria

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

,Tanto help reved please
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
merdock
Association Member
 
merdock's Avatar
 
merdock is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ,ENGLAND
Posts: 5,834
Default ,Tanto help reved please

Hi,
Any help with these two items would be great will great some more photos asap.
Thanks Merdock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_48.jpg (86.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4d.jpg (46.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4f.jpg (59.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_49.jpg (28.3 KB, 117 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
merdock
Association Member
 
merdock's Avatar
 
merdock is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ,ENGLAND
Posts: 5,834
Default

the 2 x blade photos are to the tang with 2 inscriptions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4a.jpg (28.3 KB, 118 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Luis22
Member
 
Luis22's Avatar
 
Luis22 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,004
Default

Old blade traditionally made...possibly from and old Katana that has been cut..
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
GHP
Distinguished Contributor
 
GHP's Avatar
 
GHP is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
Hi,
Any help with these two items would be great will great some more photos asap.
Thanks Merdock
長光道
Nagamitsu Michi
see same signature here. DISREGARD the comment:"The kanji 道, is usually accompanied by the character 剣, reading 剣道 - kendō, which means 'Way of the sword'. ---- it is waaaaaay off base; in regards to the signature, [pronounced "michi" in this case] is used as a given name!

They think this was a Showa-era smith, but none of the Nagamitsu smiths signed with "Michi"
cf: pp. 18-19 for 15 Nagamitsu smiths.

The other side, a date, is pretty wierd, as it gives a 16th century date.

天正九
Tenshō 9 ?
1580 ?

That faint kanji looks like , but I'm not 100% certain.
is appended to names as a counter for sons. For instance, Ta;
Ji; Sabu. This does not make sense to me following an era date.

Maybe it makes sense to a collector and/or native-speaker.

======
The other tang:

光定
Mitsusada
p. 375 lists five 15th century smiths using this name.


You'll want a collector to give his perspective on your tangs ... and everyone will want to see a full image of the blades.

--Guy

Last edited by GHP; 06-12-2018 at 01:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Luis22
Member
 
Luis22's Avatar
 
Luis22 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,004
Default

Can you post a full picture of the second sword...?

thanks,
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
Luis22
Member
 
Luis22's Avatar
 
Luis22 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHP View Post
長光道
Nagamitsu Michi
see same signature here. DISREGARD the comment:"The kanji 道, is usually accompanied by the character 剣, reading 剣道 - kendō, which means 'Way of the sword'. ---- it is waaaaaay off base; in regards to the signature, [pronounced "michi" in this case] is used as a given name!

They think this was a Showa-era smith, but none of the Nagamitsu smiths signed with "Michi"
cf: pp. 18-19 for 15 Nagamitsu smiths.

The other side, a date, is pretty wierd, as it gives a 16th century date.

天正九
Tenshō 9 ?
1580 ?

That faint kanji looks like , but I'm not 100% certain.
is appended to names as a counter for sons. For instance, Ta;
Ji; Sabu. This does not make sense to me following an era date.

Maybe it makes sense to a collector and/or native-speaker.

======
The other tang:

光定
Mitsusada
p. 375 lists five 15th century smiths using this name.


You'll want a collector to give his perspective on your tangs ... and everyone will want to see a full image of the blades.

--Guy
If you compare the overall condition of the Nakago it make sense that one sword is a showa period sword an the other one much older..
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
GHP
Distinguished Contributor
 
GHP's Avatar
 
GHP is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis22 View Post
If you compare the overall condition of the Nakago it make sense that one sword is a showa period sword an the other one much older..
Indeed, you are correct. Which is also why I'm puzzled by the date 天正九. That first date is no mistake for 大正 Taishō; similar, but the lacks the additional top horizontal stroke that has ... and no swordsmith will make that error.

It just confuses me!


--Guy
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
gunto
Member
 
gunto's Avatar
 
gunto is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scandinavia.
Posts: 2,236
Default

Nakago in first 2 photos looks so fake!
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #9
GHP
Distinguished Contributor
 
GHP's Avatar
 
GHP is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunto View Post
Nakago in first 2 photos looks so fake!

I agree with you -- I especially do not like the "penmanship" .... however, a similar sword is shown at the link I posted.

????


--Guy
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #10
gunto
Member
 
gunto's Avatar
 
gunto is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scandinavia.
Posts: 2,236
Default

Nakago-ana looks very fresh.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 03:28 AM   #11
merdock
Association Member
 
merdock's Avatar
 
merdock is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ,ENGLAND
Posts: 5,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHP View Post
Indeed, you are correct. Which is also why I'm puzzled by the date 天正九. That first date is no mistake for 大正 Taishō; similar, but the [SIZE=3]大[/SIZE.
lacks the additional. top horizontal stroke
that has ... and no swordsmith will make that error.

It just confuses me!


--Guy
Hi,
Thanks for the help you say lacks the additional top stroke but imo its clear it is there on my monitor?
Will get some better photos.
Thanks Murdock
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 AM   #12
nickn
Association Member
 
nickn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: london
Posts: 2,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunto View Post
Nakago in first 2 photos looks so fake!
I agree the rust looks atificial
Iodine induced
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
GHP
Distinguished Contributor
 
GHP's Avatar
 
GHP is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdock View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the help you say lacks the additional top stroke but imo its clear it is there on my monitor?
Will get some better photos.
Thanks Murdock
Hi Murdock,

I was not clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
the lacks the additional top horizontal stroke that has ... and no swordsmith will make that error.
IF this was meant to be "Taisho" it could not be a mistake because it has too many strokes. I was trying to show the difference between the two similar kanji & 天. (That still doesn't sound like what I'm trying to say) ... In other words ... there is no way someone could say, "This is a misspelling of 大正 Taishō".

Anyway, there is NO WAY this could be a 16th century blade, and that is exactly what 天正九 implies -- to my uneducated (swormakers/history/idioms/etc) eye.

--Guy
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
merdock
Association Member
 
merdock's Avatar
 
merdock is offline
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ,ENGLAND
Posts: 5,834
Default

HI,
Thanks for the clarification .to guy and the others a big thank you,I decided from your remarks to leave it ,so just picked up the other one will take some photos for you .thanks again Merdock
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
oldhonda
Member
 
oldhonda is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: earth
Posts: 242
Default

These are fakes. Unfortunately the one you picked up is also a fake.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com