wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Cloth Headgear Forum

Cloth Headgear Forum Covers officer visor, overseas caps, field caps, and any cloth headgear.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Heer converted tropical cap
Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Gustav 43
Association Member
 
Gustav 43's Avatar
 
Gustav 43 is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,496
Default Heer converted tropical cap

A nice been there 42 dated Army cap converted to LW.South African vet bring back according the info I have.If this one could talk...
Hope you like it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Army converted cap.jpg (205.9 KB, 310 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,497
Default

Really need to see more photos of this interesting cap
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Gustav 43
Association Member
 
Gustav 43's Avatar
 
Gustav 43 is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,496
Default

here some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (208.8 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (201.4 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (127.4 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (176.3 KB, 313 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Gustav 43
Association Member
 
Gustav 43's Avatar
 
Gustav 43 is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,496
Default

inside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f.jpg (156.4 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (79.7 KB, 313 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
RGD51
Member
 
RGD51's Avatar
 
RGD51 is online now
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,181
Default

Lots of character for sure. Nice to see a later one that saw some service.

Robt.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
90th Light
Member
 
90th Light's Avatar
 
90th Light is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,539
Default

Rare maker, I do not think I have seen that maker before. And 1942 dated sweatband model rather than 1943 dated

I think they call that type of material "Serge" and I am told it is from captured French stocks. Often seen on billed tropical caps dated 1940 and 1941.

Ton of character, no way of knowing exactly when the LW eagle was put on. However, given the nature/ stitching of the field repair. Every chance it was used by an LW soldier in Afrika.

Hard to say if the tropical cockade is original to the cap based on images alone. The stitching does not look replaced but it shows an incredible amount of wear. May-be moths/ bugs or goggles ?

Chris

p.s. is the "Serge" twill a tan or green hue in colour ?

Last edited by 90th Light; 07-09-2019 at 06:22 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator
 
Willi Z.'s Avatar
 
Willi Z. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,829
Default

Gustav, congrats on yet another nice pickup.
__________________

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

On a journey returning to my Nüchternheit roots.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
NZMark
Association Member
 
NZMark's Avatar
 
NZMark is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 5,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90th Light View Post
Rare maker, I do not think I have seen that maker before. And 1942 dated sweatband model rather than 1943 dated

I think they call that type of material "Serge" and I am told it is from captured French stocks. Often seen on billed tropical caps dated 1940 and 1941.

Ton of character, no way of knowing exactly when the LW eagle was put on. However, given the nature/ stitching of the field repair. Every chance it was used by an LW soldier in Afrika.

Hard to say if the tropical cockade is original to the cap based on images alone. The stitching does not look replaced but it shows an incredible amount of wear. May-be moths/ bugs or goggles ?

Chris

p.s. is the "Serge" twill a tan or green hue in colour ?
Agree, of course. The cockade may have possibly been attacked by silver-fish but that doesn't seem so in this case. The wear, is wear - so goggles quite possibly. The sloppy application reminds me of Vorwerk & Sohn, and like you Chris, that's a new one on me.
Mark
NZ
__________________
Collector of Afrikakorps Uniforms & Fieldgear -
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=130267
Mannequin Painting -
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=180061
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #9
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,497
Default

Thanks for the added photos. Was sure i had seen this cap before about a year ago. Nice late '42 transitional cap without a soutache but with a sweatband. This maker is already on the list guys. The Herr eagle was there for some time as it's ghost is well pronounced. The thread used to attach the LW eagle and cockade appear to be the same. Hence the insignia is likely added post war or possibly late war post Afrika.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 AM   #10
90th Light
Member
 
90th Light's Avatar
 
90th Light is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 7,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post

The thread used to attach the LW eagle and cockade appear to be the same. Hence the insignia is likely added post war or possibly late war post Afrika.
On my monitor the thread used to attach the cockade looks thinner than the thread used to attach the eagle or for the field repair ???

Who can say for sure when the eagle was put on or the field repair carried out. ??? But I like the way they are done a lot

If the thread holding the cockade is thinner then there is every chance it is the original thread from hand sewing when the cap was made

Chris
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #11
Gustav 43
Association Member
 
Gustav 43's Avatar
 
Gustav 43 is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,496
Default

Thanks for your opinions
Having the cap in hands I can say the thread used on cockarde is thinner than the thread used on the eagle and field repair,definitely a different thread...and different colour of the threads used too.The colour of the cap is green.
Could this cap be produced earlier in the 1942 because of the manufacturer's name and not RbNr ?
Thank you,
Gustav
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
RGD51
Member
 
RGD51's Avatar
 
RGD51 is online now
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90th Light View Post
On my monitor the thread used to attach the cockade looks thinner than the thread used to attach the eagle or for the field repair ???

Who can say for sure when the eagle was put on or the field repair carried out. ??? But I like the way they are done a lot

If the thread holding the cockade is thinner then there is every chance it is the original thread from hand sewing when the cap was made

Chris
The thread used on the Luft eagle is button thread common in a soldiers kit. I think the cockade is orig to cap even though sloppily applied.

Robt.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
RGD51
Member
 
RGD51's Avatar
 
RGD51 is online now
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav 43 View Post
Thanks for your opinions
Having the cap in hands I can say the thread used on cockarde is thinner than the thread used on the eagle and field repair,definitely a different thread...and different colour of the threads used too.The colour of the cap is green.
Could this cap be produced earlier in the 1942 because of the manufacturer's name and not RbNr ?
Thank you,
Gustav
Yes, a transitional period as makers names gave way to RBNr’s. Very cool cap!

Robt.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator
 
Willi Z.'s Avatar
 
Willi Z. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD51 View Post
The thread used on the Luft eagle is button thread common in a soldiers kit. I think the cockade is orig to cap even though sloppily applied.

Robt.
I agree. The whole cap (with the repairs and eagle application using the same thread, and the cockade using a different thread) is exactly how a soldier in the desert with limited resources would accomolish such a task. True "field-made" work IMO.

You can even see how the cap is slightly darker where the Heer eagle was. I wonder how the cap looks under the eagle. Worn with a Heer eagle and then with the Luft eagle. Fascinating...
__________________

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

On a journey returning to my Nüchternheit roots.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #15
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member
 
Tim O'Keefe's Avatar
 
Tim O'Keefe is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: over the hills and far away
Posts: 4,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav 43 View Post
Thanks for your opinions
Having the cap in hands I can say the thread used on cockarde is thinner than the thread used on the eagle and field repair,definitely a different thread...and different colour of the threads used too.The colour of the cap is green.
Could this cap be produced earlier in the 1942 because of the manufacturer's name and not RbNr ?
Thank you,
Gustav
Thanks for the added info. So the thread used to attach the cockade is thinner. Then there is a good chance that the cockade is original. The thicker thread used to attach the eagle is a different color than the thread used for the repair. I do like the repair alot, looks like a terrible rip originally.

This cap was produced either in Aug '42 or in the next few months after. The combination of the lack of a soutache, it does have a sweatband & makers mark & not an rbn#. The Herr eagle was on for long enough to leave a strong impression. So this cap arrived in Afrika at the earlist in the last few months of 1942. (if it actually went to Afrika ? A few months in the Sud Front would produce the same impression of the Herr eagle. So the LW eagle could have been attached as early as 1943 in Tunisia, Sicily or Italy. Was the cap issued to a LW solder originally ?

In 1941 the early LW Flak units in Afrika wore Herr tunics and caps. Did this still occur in 1942 /43 ?

Either way it's an Outstanding cap
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com