wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975.

Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975. Covering, French Indo China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #61
macphongtran

Old 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #62
Draxus

thx for show us these great pics.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #63
stdrbs14

Very Nice and thanks for sharing.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #64
Tora_Tora_Tora!
Association Member

Simply....absolutely...definitely....speechless... .
One of the most wonderful Thread ever seen on this forum and wherever.
Many thanks for sharing with all of us not only a piece of military history but a real life of an Hero and of a Father.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #65
wiskyjac

I can add nothing to this, but.... Thank You....

Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #66
uscob
Association Member

Great Stuff. I'd like to have some of my families stuff but I think it makes no sense to ask the russians if they want to give back what they took in 1945. But it was only a Prussian General Field Marshal in the Army of Frederic the Great and later.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #67
101combatvet

Great stuff....

Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #68
Papa Nambu
Expelled

Thank you for the comments everyone.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #69
Papa Nambu
Expelled

Bumping this thread because I have some additional information.
I've confirmed my father served both in RT Michigan and RT Oregon during his time in Vietnam.
I have the 1-0 Jacket with the "RT Oregon" mark, and the book "On the Ground" by John Stryker Meyer and John Peters mentions him in Chapter 18 as the 1-1 for RT Michigan with 1-0 Eldon Bargewell. On a March 1969 mission to the A Shau Valley the LZ came under mortar fire and one SF soldier broke his arm jumping from the helicopter. The chopper was sent back with the wounded man and the NVA assumed the whole team had left and went about their business unaware RT Michigan was still there. The team found some bunkers that had been left unattended and one of them had maps and documents inside which Bargewell grabbed. Further on they found an AK47 with a chest pouch leaning against a tree, a Montagnard carried the AK and Bargewell put the vest on. They then surprised some NVA soldiers who were playing cards, but were spotted when attempting to take one prisoner and the NVA ran into a bunker. Still hoping for a prisoner, Bargewell chased them into the bunker where he was shot in the chest. However, the the AK magazines in his captured chest pouch stopped the bullet. (This is a story I remember my father mentioning.) My father called Covey for the CSS Hatchet Force to come to the bunker complex, but there was a delay so they went back to the command bunker they had found and grabbed more stuff to take back. On the way to their LZ they came into contact with the NVA force that was supposed to be guarding the bunkers, but these support troops were no match for RT Michigan. The captured AK might be the one my father was photographed with.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #70
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Nambu View Post
Bumping this thread because I have some additional information.
I've confirmed my father served both in RT Michigan and RT Oregon during his time in Vietnam.
I have the 1-0 Jacket with the "RT Oregon" mark, and the book "On the Ground" by John Stryker Meyer and John Peters mentions him in Chapter 18 as the 1-1 for RT Michigan with 1-0 Eldon Bargewell. On a March 1969 mission to the A Shau Valley the LZ came under mortar fire and one SF soldier broke his arm jumping from the helicopter. The chopper was sent back with the wounded man and the NVA assumed the whole team had left and went about their business unaware RT Michigan was still there. The team found some bunkers that had been left unattended and one of them had maps and documents inside which Bargewell grabbed. Further on they found an AK47 with a chest pouch leaning against a tree, a Montagnard carried the AK and Bargewell put the vest on. They then surprised some NVA soldiers who were playing cards, but were spotted when attempting to take one prisoner and the NVA ran into a bunker. Still hoping for a prisoner, Bargewell chased them into the bunker where he was shot in the chest. However, the the AK magazines in his captured chest pouch stopped the bullet. (This is a story I remember my father mentioning.) My father called Covey for the CSS Hatchet Force to come to the bunker complex, but there was a delay so they went back to the command bunker they had found and grabbed more stuff to take back. On the way to their LZ they came into contact with the NVA force that was supposed to be guarding the bunkers, but these support troops were no match for RT Michigan. The captured AK might be the one my father was photographed with.
Hard to believe how this thread can get any better. But it consistently does. Thanks for the additional information.
We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945

Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #71
Beau Brummel.

Absolutely Incredible, thank you Ted for keeping us up to date with your research.

Yours, Guy

Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #72
Granate

You Sir, are sitting on a gold mine of items. You are very lucky to have such a dad. MACVSOG was the most top secret of all of the units present there. Some of it is still NOFORN LIMDIS. The most secret are the RT's 5that ran Ops in North Vietnam, Southern provinces of China, and into Thailand border regions. Though Thailand kept that secret so that they could still be considered "Neutral" at the time and I mean somewhat.

Your father served proudly and received good awards while serving in SOG. Although I collect MACVSOG items as this is my primary hobby and would want to offer you a great amount of money for your dads collection (just kidding as at the moment I am flat broke). My recommendation would be to keep all of it and not sell a single item. You have some very true artifacts there and when you look at them all, always remember your dad.

By the way, the picture of the CAR-15's (XM177e2) are just plain beautiful. I saw one on the weapons boards (they handle Class 3 weapons too) they had the an XM177E2 selectable switch lever from Safe, Semi, and Auto. I wanted it so BAaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddd, that I was going to take out a second mortgage on the house and a Class 3 dealer hold onto it until I got my license. Can any one here guess on the Price of the XM177E2/Colt Model 629?

HINT: It was in "Mint" condition and the real deal. It was over $10,000.

Mark

Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #73
buccaneere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Nambu View Post
My father passed away a few years ago. Being the collector in the family, I ended up with most of his military items and photos. I'm always glad to share them with people who appreciate seeing them.

My Father and I

Wow.

Again. Still. Wow.

Have you found your Dad's name on any unit rosters here ?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #74
John Hodgin
Distinguished Contributor

Simply wonderful! Important history preserved here! Thanks very much for posting these images.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #75
Granate

PN,

I do not know if you new the following info on your Father:

Sheppard, Donald C, Rank SP4, assigned to CCN, 5th Special Forces Group, He can also be found in issue #4 of the Volume of the" Green Beret Magazine". Hope some of this helps, or possibly you already knew all about this.