wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

88mm Flak/Anti Tank guns
Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Panther11

Default 88mm Flak/Anti Tank guns

Hello
I am trying to find any information in regards to the units of Anti Tank guns using the 88mm flak gun. I am sorry if I sound a bit stupid but it seems you can get information regarding most units of the Wehrmacht, but the actual units that were used primarily for killing tanks, that used the "dreaded 88mm gun" are hard to find at least for me, any help would be appreciated. Cheers
Iain

re flak units
Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
timg
Association Member

Default re flak units

Hi Iain,

Try looking at orders of battle for the Wermacht and look for the attached Luftwaffe units. Being flak heavy (ie 88mm) a lot were actually luftwaffe units acting in a duel role

Latter in the war their were actual bespoke designed anti tank guns in 88MM that could not be used as flak against aircraft.

Ive got a book on the 88MM and I will look to see if its got any typical organisations for you (truth be told the book leans more towards the tech side than organisations)

Old 02-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Hi Iain

Not sure if you mean the 88mm ATG developed late in the War which could only be used in the antitank mode or if you meant the earlier 88mm Flak gun which was a duel purpose weapon ?

The 88mm ATG was utilized by some of the PzJg Bn's in '44-45.

If you meant the 88mm Flak gun ? The 88mm was the primary weapon in the LW/Herr Hv Flak Bn's. In Afrika where the legend began the most famous DAK unit armed with the 88mm was from the Luftwaffe 135th Flak Regt, 1/33 Flak Bn. Single Baty's destroying entire English Tank Regt's in the summer of 1941.

cheers
Tim

Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 02-03-2018 at 06:33 AM.