wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #76
markus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
I look forward to any updates that you may be able to provide, especially photos of the scissors scope in use on a Tiger. I'd also be interested in seeing, as I'm sure other members of the forum would be, the other pieces of Wittmann's that you have in your possession. And I am being sincere.
Regards
Bern

Hi Bern --

I'm thinking of including it in a publication rather than on a forum. It would fit very well as a continuation of the Wittmann article shown in "Intl Militaria Collector" (March 2015 issue). It's basically the other half of what is in the Wolfe & Hardin Collection today.

Cheers,
Markus

Old 02-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #77
dando1944

Hi - I know this thread has been slow and not used for a while... but I am hoping that some of the knowledgeable members might be able to help me with something.

It concerns the 101st SS Heavy Tank Btn in Normandy.

I was reading the daily losses of the 101st in Tigers in Combat - the excellent book by Schneider, and it shows the losses as they happen by tank number. But I wondered about the numbering system they used for replacements.

Surely they did not simply write any number on a new tank turret to fill a gap? If they did - then we need to re-think all of our study of period photographs.

If Tiger 007 was originally issued on say April 1st (as an example) you could assume that it was not used in combat prior to that. But the tank may have originally had a different number and it COULD have been in action somewhere else? Are we duplicating or missing numbers of Tigers in some battlefields?

It makes tracking the numbers of Tigers difficult because we all go from the numbers we see on the turrets in photographs - or the losses (using that number) in the After Action and Unit Records.

If we have a record of which day each tank number arrived in Normandy - then we could say for sure which tanks were and were not involved in each action. The losses are known daily - but what about the replacement numbers.

So - Does anyone have a record on which dates replacement Tigers went into action -- and then how did the unit numbering system adapt to accommodate them.

An obvious answer the Germans would be to give each replacement tank a number and fit it into the new company to fill the gaps as they arrive ... but what number did the tank have when it left the factory, etc?

Without a definitive number for each vehicle - then there could have been duplicates in service with the same unit AND service records and maintenance records must have been a nightmare.

And that is before we get into repairing old tanks over time and making them serviceable again. What if those tanks were re-issued later to their original units (where their number was re-used?).

Did any re-numbering decrease our understanding of the actual number of Tigers manufactured - if some were repaired and re-issued by the factory.

I think that the only way the Germans could have kept an accurate track of them was via chassis number - so do those records exist anywhere.?

I hope this makes sense and I apologise if this is a very obvious set of questions.

Thanks

Last edited by dando1944; 02-03-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #78
markus

I have a hand-written summary notes from Michael Wittmann and a couple of letters sent to him by his Abt. Kdr. etc. incl. turrent numbers.
I will check them over the weekend. Haven't really had time to study them closer...

Markus

Michael wittmann
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #79
markus

Default Michael wittmann

Tonight I quickly checked my Wittmann estate/ stuff, but unfortunately no further information which could shed light to your interesting question.

The first document, which I had hoped would help is Michael's handwritten company listing as per June 1944. It includes a numeric summary of Officers, NCOs and EMs and vehicles of his 2./101. Unfortunately no mentioning of Tiger numbers. I assume Michel prepared the paper (all in his own hand!) for the unit KTB, but instead he took it home when on home leave after Villers-Bocage.

The second letter which I had in mind was unfortunately from Jan. 1944 (Shytomir/Bertichev) and was sent to Wittmann by his good friend SS-Obersturmführer Hannes Philipsen. So obviously nothing on Normandy yet. Philipsen (later KIA at Villers-Bocage and Honor Roll Clasp holder) does describe the formation of the SS-Panzerabteiling 101 in great detail though, but not making mention of any turrent numbers.

Hopefully others have more information!

Cheers,
Markus