wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Tiger drain !
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
feind-hort-mit

Default Tiger drain !

A question to those more in the know .. David
At the bottom rear of the Tiger-1 Engine bay is a drain plug, operated by a remote handle, I've seen a few plugs for sale saying they're from tiger 1's.
My problem is the very few photos show the actual plug as being extremely small, maybe an upper diameter as seen inside the engine bay of 50mm +/-.
Any thoughts at all from the good and famous would be appreciated
-------

[IMG]imgbb.com/">IMG 7726 1000x1000[/IMG]

Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
kastensfh18

Ha ha ha !
I have two of them. Both with round gasket. I would say for Tiger I and I asked David... who didn't know !
Can it be Panther ?

The fun part : I had one in the stove and it came almost red hot ( 500 - 600°C )before I dropped it in cold water ( bounce bounce ! ). Movable parts can now move. And the red primer color is still here : very heat resistant !!!!

To come : A post titled "Show your Tiger I oil drain ?

Eric

Old 02-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
feind-hort-mit

Hi Eric
The Tiger-1 has been photographed probably millions of times, by experts researchers and the general public, almost daily I look in books and online for clear images of areas tucked away in and on my favorite Panzer
I have most of the detail books on the tiger, there is not one detailed shot of that plug in situ..that I could find..happy to be proved wrong of course
I did find a photo of the belly plate.. from the rear, it did show the larger lower face of the plug, it tapers..so in the engine bay it is the small diameter you would see.
I'm happy to believe it is a tiger-1 plug, but not necessarily solely t-1.
I don't have the facility to heat up to that temperature but I've had really good results with rust removal baths, specifically Bilt Hamber desolvable salts.
Thank you for your reply mate, kind regards..Ian "feind-hort-mit"

Last edited by feind-hort-mit; 02-01-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
kastensfh18

Hi !
So well hidden that nobody knows !

Here is one... pic found on my PC. Maybe the oil drain that I bought on internet...
I should check...

Eric

Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
dsotm

Quote:
Originally Posted by feind-hort-mit View Post
Hi Eric
The Tiger-1 has been photographed probably millions of times, by experts researchers and the general public, almost daily I look in books and online for clear images of areas tucked away in and on my favorite Panzer
I have most of the detail books on the tiger, there is not one detailed shot of that plug in situ..that I could find..happy to be proved wrong of course
I did find a photo of the belly plate.. from the rear, it did show the larger lower face of the plug, it tapers..so in the engine bay it is the small diameter you would see.
I'm happy to believe it is a tiger-1 plug, but not necessarily solely t-1.
I don't have the facility to heat up to that temperature but I've had really good results with rust removal baths, specifically Bilt Hamber desolvable salts.
Thank you for your reply mate, kind regards..Ian "feind-hort-mit"
Hope this helps. Engine Compt. drain plug in situ on the Aberdeen Tiger as detailed in our book Tiger: A Modern Study of Fgst. NR. 250031

Bear in mind the method of operating the plug was changed very soon after this chassis - this plug is operated from the engine deck whereas the newer version was operated from inside the fighting compt.

Last edited by dsotm; 02-04-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
feind-hort-mit

..the one book I do not have
Thanks though dsotm
I'm happy that the above plugs are from the tiger, don't duppose you took the thing apart
Cheers for the info, Ian "feind-hort-mit"

Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
dsotm

Quote:
Originally Posted by feind-hort-mit View Post
..the one book I do not have
Thanks though dsotm
I'm happy that the above plugs are from the tiger, don't duppose you took the thing apart
Cheers for the info, Ian "feind-hort-mit"
If you are looking a book with super clear images of all the nooks and crannies you should have a look at the reviews and screenshots. We had unprecedented access.

Hope this helps

Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
feind-hort-mit

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the heads up on the book, t'is a brilliant thing.
I did occasionally..find myself thinking..what's under there or I wish they'd taken that off, but it is a brilliant book, thank you dsotm
Now if only boring ton did the same I'd be happy
Highly recommend the book to any tiger nutter
Best wishes..Ian "feind-hort-mit"