wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Panzer38(t) recreation
Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
t_ankmann

War Panzer38(t) recreation

~Greetings Tankers!~

I am T_ankmann, I represent a group of young engineers who are attempting to reverse-engineer and build a Pz38(t) Ausf.D from scratch. The goal is to make one as a proof of concept, showing that we can make a period-accurate AFV without shipping original parts from overseas.

We chose the Panzer 38(t) because there are no examples currently in the United States, and in our opinion the chassis was one of the most well designed and widely used platforms in WWII.

So far we've put in approximately 300 hours into design, historical accuracy, and research, including engineering a modified Wilson gearbox without a physical reference. Every assembly except the engine will be designed by us using reference images from living examples, restoration projects, CKD Archives, and users manuals.

Today we were working on networking, financing (whoo boy), chassis design, running gear design, and final drive engineering calculations. A full writeup of this week's progress can be found here. We have a webage/blog that we do most of our updates on but I wanted to reach out to you guys because it sounds like something you'd be interested in following.

Anyway, thanks for listening, I'll be revisiting this post every week or so to post pictures and updates!
-T.ankmann

P.s, I hear rumors of a Pz38(t) project built off a Pansarbandvagn 301 chassis, is that still around? I can't find hide nor hair of it online anymore. I'd love to get in contact with them and share information.

38t
Old 01-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
kubel44

Default 38t

Hello
I have and I am slowly restoring a 38t here in Illinois.
The repro may be finished before my real one is done!
Anyhow feel free to contact me for It would be nice to correspond with you in regards to your project.
Jim

Weekends and updates.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
t_ankmann

Default Weekends and updates.

@Kubel44, I would love to start a dialogue with you! We are fairly ambitious and any new information we can gain or share is always a plus! As far as I was aware we were the only Panzer38(t) Project. I'd love to hear where you got it, which Ausf, and how long you've been restoring tanks/vehicles! Email me at t.ankmann@project38.net

For everybody else, Iím very excited to bring you this update! (also seen here on our website)
First order of business, progress reports!
Framework: Beckett has done an outstanding job working and reworking his framework drawings to maintain the highest level of accuracy, after all, itís off of this frame that the shape of our tank is based. He even worked a little bit in AutoCadís 3d function to bring us the wireframe orthographic view. Looking good!
Seen here are Beckettís frame drawings and new business cards!
http://project38.net/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0239.jpg
(we also got business cards, theyíre sweet, more on that down below)

Turret: Tristan has come very close to a final design for the turret drive mechanism! In this design, the housing is made from 3.5″ schedule 80 steel pipe and pipe caps, with some cuts and holes. Round, compact, and at exactly 4 degrees of turret rotation per turn of the handle. Well, 4.007 degrees of traverse per turn but I think thatís close enough. Historical accuracy is his ďthingĒ.
http://project38.net/wp-content/uplo...nglomerate.jpg
(not a true section drawing but I just threw everything in there to give a good overview of the mechanism)

Steve put in many hours on the running gear this week, mostly modeling the wheels so that the internals can be calculated. Iíll have screenshots/printouts of his final product for next week I assume.

Business and Business cards!
Our paperwork has gone in to officially make us an LLC! Replica and Restoration Works LLC is the name chosen by the team, mainly so as not to limit ourselves to tanks, but also because it sounds a bit more. . . . [safe?] than Das Kriegsministerium, letís be honest.
http://project38.net/wp-content/uploads/IMG_02421.jpg
We also got 200 business cards in 3 different variants (see below). Weíll be needing them because tomorrow we go to Fort Indiantown Gap! Thatís right, weíll be at the Battle of the Bulge reenactment tomorrow and Saturday! Super exciting and I canít wait to talk with some of the tankers/actors there.
From top left: The front with an Ausf B. A drawing Beckett whipped up, the TNH-S (predecessor to the 38(t), and plain text.)

We also have access to Solidworks, so maybe more 3d items will come your way? Who knows? Itís all very exciting.

Thatís all for tonight! Iíll post pictures of the reenactment on Sunday!
-T.Ankmann

Old 02-25-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
M8owner

There are also several operational, Swiss made Hetzer tank destroyers in the US that were based on this design. One is in the Camp Mabry museum in Austin, TX.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
mannloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8owner View Post
There are also several operational, Swiss made Hetzer tank destroyers in the US that were based on this design. One is in the Camp Mabry museum in Austin, TX.
They were made for the Swiss not by the Swiss. A friend of mine owns one in the Chicago Suburbs.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
Remark116

Great! l love seeing tanks out there being restored or accurate reproductions that run.

You may want to talk to Randy over at Panzer Frabrik (http://panzerfabrik.net/). He built a PZ III and an Luchs from the ground up. I think he is building a few more Luchs for other people. He also has a PZ IV that he is building from some original parts.

Still working!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
t_ankmann

Default Still working!

Greetings Tankers!

Itís March, that means we have 243 days before November! Time flies when youíre having fun. Weíve been very busy and productive the past few weeks, working on all sorts of subprojects within Project38. So letís get you all caught up!

BUILD UPDATES!

Turret:

Work on the turret has been steady and encouraging. While some parts have been difficult to accurately dimension, overall I think the faithfulness to the original is pretty close. While none of the internal parts are made up, what you see below is an accurate 3D representation of the externals of the turret.
Many details are still missing,but overall weíre making good headway. If you spot any glaring inaccuracies let us know.
http://project38.net/wp-content/uploads/snap.jpg

Weíve also neared completion on the turret drive. A few details to be worked out but as it stands, the turret will turn 4 degrees per turn of the handle. The design allows for the drive to disconnect from the turret ring to freely rotate the turret if need be.
This mechanism will allow a disconnect from the drive with the switch of a lever operating above.

Of course, it wasnít always easy. Learning the 3D modelling is fun, but every now and again we run into problems. Often we turn to Beckett, the lead engineer, to help solve them. Shoutout to him for having the patience to put up with the rest of us.
After a seriously long day, Beckett troubleshoots a part in Solidworks on Tristanís computer. Iím still not quite sure what he did but he fixed the problem.

Armor Plates

Armor plates have come a long way! While the internal framing is not yet created, having the armor plates will allow us to do so easily and quickly. See below what the hulking Panzer looks like stripped of anything useful! Even this image is already outdated, with rivet holes having been added to the engine hatches and rear topside as of this writing.
Beckett has done an amazing job with the armor plates, going so far as to reach out overseas for the dimensions of the curve on the front plate. 10/10
http://project38.net/wp-content/uploads/snop.jpg

FULL UPDATE HERE: http://project38.net/the-month-in-review/