wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Aberdeen Proving Grounds UNWORTHY LEFTOVERS
Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
billbert
Association Member
 
billbert is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 7,312
Default Aberdeen Proving Grounds UNWORTHY LEFTOVERS

I know that satellite maps are often NOT CURRENT...but after looking at the OLD ORDANANCE MUSEUM grounds...It appeared that maybe 50 or so UNWANTED AFV and Field Artillery pieces remain in place...CAN ANYONE CONFIRM a recent Observation?? Thanks
Billbert
__________________
"They NEVER did that....YEAH they did ....."
  Reply With Quote

Apg;
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
slade007
Member
 
slade007's Avatar
 
slade007 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 317
Default Apg;

I haven't been over there for about 5 years but I was on the Ordnance Museum Foundation board before the Ordnance School and Museum was moved to Ft. Lee. in 2011. It was planned that about 1/4th of the AFV collection would stay at APG. Mostly the less desirable AFVs in the collection. Not sure what they left there after the big move was completed. Much more security to get on base any more now days.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
mudsharkangler
Member
 
mudsharkangler is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 551
Default

Nothing remains of the old ordnance ground collection any longer. Most all have been relocated.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
billbert
Association Member
 
billbert is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 7,312
Default

@ Mudsharkangler..thank you..So you are telling me youve been on the PROPERTY and that all the concrete parking spots thru out the Museum grounds itself are completely DEVOID of museum equipment..Billbert
__________________
"They NEVER did that....YEAH they did ....."
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
mudsharkangler
Member
 
mudsharkangler is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 551
Default

yes...The museum is now, I believe, just for local history.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
billbert
Association Member
 
billbert is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 7,312
Default

TANKS A LOT !! Billbert
__________________
"They NEVER did that....YEAH they did ....."
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
t_ankmann
New Member
 
t_ankmann is offline
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 4
Default

They moved them down to Fort Sill but the tanks were never unboxed. I had wanted to take a detailed look at the Grille but they won't let civilians look at any of the exhibits. From what I understand they moved all the AFV's down there and then either ran out of money (not likely) or just got lazy/change of command/change of mind. So they're all crated up and will be for the foreseeable future
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Geoff Walden
Member
 
Geoff Walden's Avatar
 
Geoff Walden is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Posts: 288
Default

The Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) act that resulted in the move of these museum exhibits (to include the Patton Museum at Fort Knox), did not initially address moving the museums. When it was later decided to move them, there was only sufficient money to move the vehicles and artifacts, not to build museums or display the vehicles for the public. Also, the Army has always officially considered these as military school study collections, not necessarily as public museum collections. Due to all of this, most of these items remain in storage where they were moved to, not open to the public.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Willi Z.
Moderator
 
Willi Z.'s Avatar
 
Willi Z. is offline
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,092
Default

It's all about priorities. The USAF Museum was based on the needs of the USAF Institute of Technology. And now it serves the public's interests as a superb museum.


http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vis.../WWII-Gallery/
__________________
Willi

Preußens Gloria!

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." - Immanuel Kant
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
N.C. Wyeth
Association Member
 
N.C. Wyeth's Avatar
 
N.C. Wyeth is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 3,063
Default

Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.
__________________
Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship - Buddha
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
DwightPruitt
New Member
 
DwightPruitt is online now
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.
Any sightings of the black bear there lately? I've hunted the Big Oaks Refuge a couple of times, and the Lost River Game Farm nearby. Neat area.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
DonC
Association Member
 
DonC's Avatar
 
DonC is offline
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central Tejas
Posts: 9,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.
Well, that WOULD save you the trouble of spotlighting them!

Don
__________________
"Der Führer vasn't a mousy little momma's boy - Der Führer vas Butch!" - Will Ferrell in The Producers
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Mark C.
Member
 
Mark C.'s Avatar
 
Mark C. is online now
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,405
Default

I took a lot of pictures just before the relocation started.

Lots of memories for me...got me started in WW2 collecting.

My Grandfather was stationed there after the war.( N.Africa and Italian Campaigns)

I remember some of them you could crawl into inthe late '70's
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
scotty1418
Association Member
 
scotty1418 is online now
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 2,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.
Guess it wasn't a rumor (depleted uranium)...

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ange/19803587/
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Collector of French ww2-era insignia.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com