wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds UNWORTHY LEFTOVERS
Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
billbert
Association Member

Default Aberdeen Proving Grounds UNWORTHY LEFTOVERS

I know that satellite maps are often NOT CURRENT...but after looking at the OLD ORDANANCE MUSEUM grounds...It appeared that maybe 50 or so UNWANTED AFV and Field Artillery pieces remain in place...CAN ANYONE CONFIRM a recent Observation?? Thanks
Billbert

Apg;
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
slade007

Default Apg;

I haven't been over there for about 5 years but I was on the Ordnance Museum Foundation board before the Ordnance School and Museum was moved to Ft. Lee. in 2011. It was planned that about 1/4th of the AFV collection would stay at APG. Mostly the less desirable AFVs in the collection. Not sure what they left there after the big move was completed. Much more security to get on base any more now days.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
mudsharkangler

Nothing remains of the old ordnance ground collection any longer. Most all have been relocated.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
billbert
Association Member

@ Mudsharkangler..thank you..So you are telling me youve been on the PROPERTY and that all the concrete parking spots thru out the Museum grounds itself are completely DEVOID of museum equipment..Billbert

Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
mudsharkangler

yes...The museum is now, I believe, just for local history.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
billbert
Association Member

TANKS A LOT !! Billbert

Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
t_ankmann

They moved them down to Fort Sill but the tanks were never unboxed. I had wanted to take a detailed look at the Grille but they won't let civilians look at any of the exhibits. From what I understand they moved all the AFV's down there and then either ran out of money (not likely) or just got lazy/change of command/change of mind. So they're all crated up and will be for the foreseeable future

Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Geoff Walden

The Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) act that resulted in the move of these museum exhibits (to include the Patton Museum at Fort Knox), did not initially address moving the museums. When it was later decided to move them, there was only sufficient money to move the vehicles and artifacts, not to build museums or display the vehicles for the public. Also, the Army has always officially considered these as military school study collections, not necessarily as public museum collections. Due to all of this, most of these items remain in storage where they were moved to, not open to the public.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Willi Z.

It's all about priorities. The USAF Museum was based on the needs of the USAF Institute of Technology. And now it serves the public's interests as a superb museum.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Vis.../WWII-Gallery/

Preußens Gloria!

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." - Immanuel Kant

Old 01-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
N.C. Wyeth
Association Member

Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
DwightPruitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
Near me, we have the old Jefferson Proving Grounds - and following the BRAC order, nearly 90% of that facility became a National Wildlife Refuge. The other 10% is still used by the National Guard. Rumor has it, uranium was left behind in the Wildlife Refuge . . . but I have still to see a deer or rabbit, glowing in the dark.
Any sightings of the black bear there lately? I've hunted the Big Oaks Refuge a couple of times, and the Lost River Game Farm nearby. Neat area.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
DonC
Association Member

Quote:
Well, that WOULD save you the trouble of spotlighting them!

Don

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Mark C.

I took a lot of pictures just before the relocation started.

Lots of memories for me...got me started in WW2 collecting.

My Grandfather was stationed there after the war.( N.Africa and Italian Campaigns)

I remember some of them you could crawl into inthe late '70's

Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
scotty1418
Association Member

Quote:
Guess it wasn't a rumor (depleted uranium)...

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ange/19803587/