wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

View Poll Results: Best Machine gun of WWII?
MG34 174 13.46%
MG42 951 73.55%
Bren 37 2.86%
Browning M2 90 6.96%
Type 91 2 0.15%
Type 99 5 0.39%
Browning .30 cal 28 2.17%
MG15 6 0.46%
Voters: 1293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #46
prussian.guard

hitlers buzz saw was no doubt the best machine gun produced during the war
it outclassed anything on the battlefield

Old 06-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #47
Alex R.

With a top notch machinegun crew,Iwould say hitlers Zipper aswell.

The M2 is considered a heavy machinegun . Should not be compared with
Squad guns. ( IMO )

Alex R.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #48
Daniele C
Association Member

i have to say that its too easy to answer!its obviously the MG42!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #49
MikeP
Association Member

Having been in the Infantry ang humped a lot of ammo I would prefer the MG 34 over the "42.
That high rate of fire simply wastes ammo.
A squad can only carry so much.
Most people never realize what slogging around under all that stuff entails.
Then there is the weather and the mud-etc.
There wasn't a whole movie about one weapon. It was a familiarization film for trainees on enemy wepons.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #50
Gary Cain
Association Member

Hi Mike,
Actually they did devote a whole film to the '42. Granted it was a short film but it took the whole reel. The film also dealt with tactics to deal with it etc. Having owned both I will say that for shooting for pleasure it is the MG 34 all the way, but if I were in combat give me the 42. It is much more reliable, easier to field strip(about 9 seconds as opposed to 1 minute) barrel changes take about 3 seconds as opposed to 20 to 30 seconds depending on what position you are firing from, ease of clearing stoppages, power rating of the feed system, I could go on. Rate of fire is very high and that is a problem if you are shooting at long ranges from the bipod. At around 500 meters you can sometimes miss the target because a hole will open in the pattern of bullets. But it is extraordinarilly accurate when fire from the Lafette. I could squeeze off a 2 shot burst and have both rounds hit within 15mm of each other at 440 meters. the 34 was good as well. As for the perception of not having enough ammo....well all I can say is in reenacting my guys and I would carry the Lafette, the gun, and 1000 rounds of ammo all day long up hill and down dale without too much of a problem. We are in fair shape(but not good shape) and youngish (I was doing that at 41, my friends are mid 30's) we never once ran out of ammmunition because we know how to use the weapon well and were conservative in it's consumption(just like a german squad would be because their supplies were very limited) and only used it when it would have the greatest effect. So I must respectfully disagree with your complaints about the weapon, oh and BTW the Germans who used for real disagree with you too.

Cheers
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
Having been in the Infantry ang humped a lot of ammo I would prefer the MG 34 over the "42.
That high rate of fire simply wastes ammo.
A squad can only carry so much.
Most people never realize what slogging around under all that stuff entails.
Then there is the weather and the mud-etc.
There wasn't a whole movie about one weapon. It was a familiarization film for trainees on enemy wepons.

Last edited by Gary Cain; 12-10-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #51
MikeP
Association Member

Silly me-thinking my 11B4S MOS and 18 months in the bush with SF 68-70 would give me some insight as to deployment and use of weapons.

One thing I do know-live targets don't stand still-infact they often respond in kind. I got two purple hearts.

Wait-did you actually just compare playing army with being in combat?
I saw reenactors fold up their stuff because it rained. A luxury we didn't have.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:15 AM   #52
Undertaker

I don't own all in that list but the pole says "best" MG.

The MG34 would have to be the "best" made. It is an engineering masterpiece of design ,manufacture, with quick change barrels. Selective fire and able to do multiple jobs.

The MG42 would have to be the "best" at scaring the enemy , the coolest sound, the "best" at eating 7.92/57 ,and production design.

The Bren would be the "best" on accuracy and transportability. You can sit the butt of a Bren on your chin and spilt a pumpkin at 100 metres consistantly. but make sure you aren't being attacked by more than 30 pumpkins as the 100 round mod was very rare.

The browning has a more practical fire rate but a very unpractical barrel change. The US BAR man shouldn't be forgotten either. 3006 stings more than 8X57

Haven't owned or fired any of the others

regards

Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #53
MauserKar98k

IMO the MG42 is, without a doubt, the best machine gun of WWII (as long as you have plenty of ammo ). It was (and is) so good, variations of it with small modifications are still being made and fielded by several nations around the world, including Germany.

Kind of makes me wish that I had one. To make some serious noise for the Forth of July, I would set it up in my driveway and eat through a whole 250-round belt of blank ammo without taking my finger off of the trigger (would take 8 1/3 seconds going the full 1800rpm). This would probably scare the crap out of my neighbors!

Old 07-03-2006, 02:57 AM   #54
Gary Cain
Association Member

I respect your service very much. My point was that some middle aged jackasses could tote the thing around and stay upright. Imagine what twenty somthings in incredibly good shape could do. I unfortunately destroyed both of my knees before I could join the service and even with that issue(if I step wrong off of a ladder I dislocate a knee) we were able to employ the weapon well. Granted we were never shot at much less wounded but that does not negate the point I made, middle aged semi out of shape, semi cripples had no problem using it in a mock battle situation.
We never ran out of ammunition and when I used it with live ammunition it was exceptionally accurate and very deadly. BTW which SF Group were you with?

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
Silly me-thinking my 11B4S MOS and 18 months in the bush with SF 68-70 would give me some insight as to deployment and use of weapons.

One thing I do know-live targets don't stand still-infact they often respond in kind. I got two purple hearts.

Wait-did you actually just compare playing army with being in combat?
I saw reenactors fold up their stuff because it rained. A luxury we didn't have.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #55
PZIV
Expelled

MG-42 hands down.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #56
Steve in Florida

I'm gonna say MG 34 (only because I just bought one). 42's have tendencies to FOOB, which is not good for the gun or the shooter. Never seen a 34 FOOB. As the Germans continued to produce the 34 right to the end of the war instead of phasing it out for the 42, that might also be some sort of indication they liked it. The 42 may have had sloppier tolerances making it more reliable (when it wasn't FOOBing) and been cheaper and quicker to produce than the 34, but more 34's were fielded during the war on more fronts than any other German MG. The 34 is much more controllable than the 42. The 34 breaks down to suitcase size and the receiver is just a marvel of German engineering. John Moses Browning is a gun design god, but the 1919 is a pig.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #57
Gary Cain
Association Member

Hi Steve,

The '34 is definately nicer to shoot but the later 42s had a special anti bounce piece to prevent the FOOB problem. The Germans kept the '34 in production because it would have been too costly and take to much time to retool.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Florida
I'm gonna say MG 34 (only because I just bought one). 42's have tendencies to FOOB, which is not good for the gun or the shooter. Never seen a 34 FOOB. As the Germans continued to produce the 34 right to the end of the war instead of phasing it out for the 42, that might also be some sort of indication they liked it. The 42 may have had sloppier tolerances making it more reliable (when it wasn't FOOBing) and been cheaper and quicker to produce than the 34, but more 34's were fielded during the war on more fronts than any other German MG. The 34 is much more controllable than the 42. The 34 breaks down to suitcase size and the receiver is just a marvel of German engineering. John Moses Browning is a gun design god, but the 1919 is a pig.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 AM   #58
Steve in Florida

Gary sez, "......the later 42s had a special anti bounce piece to prevent the FOOB problem. The Germans kept the '34 in production because it would have been too costly and take to much time to retool."

I know, but it sounded good

Old 07-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #59
Steve in Florida

...and had I purchased an MG42, I'da probably said "The MG42 is the best MG of WWII."

Old 07-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #60
har wagner

M2 Big .50 still in use today.