wehrmacht awards

Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
byterock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM7 View Post
That's interesting, but doesn't it conflict with the sub's log in the previous post saying the commandos were taken on board at night. If they never returned, why is that not in the log? Dates seem to match.
Not really what you are reading there is definatly not the log but just a summary of the few day of the war patrol. Most likely orginaling from one of the many volumes of S. E. Morison Offical History of US Naval Operations in the Pacific or from the Offical War partol report.

These sorts of reports are notrioluly inacuarate on details like these as this sort of commando stuff was just a sideline to the writeres. They where much more interested in attacks against Japanese. The human story side of the war was left to later writers.

Still looking for some more details on this patrol nothing yet.

Opps found it (whitout having to pay a penny)

https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documen...e-war-reports/

In the offiaical history in the first part of the report says little more than what we have now, see page 4~5 vol 1.

In the actual partrol report pg 5 this is all that is there

22~27th March
Conducting special missions

Like I said not much there.

The Actual Log may have more but that will be harder to find

Last edited by byterock; 07-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #17
PeterM7

These photos are in the Australian War Memorial photo collection. Perhaps that's where the OP got his copies? But more importantly the men's names are listed. They are in fact on board the Dace. There is also an account of the mission in the book "Australian Submarines; Volume 2" by Michael White. Captain G.C. "Blue" Harris with two other men in a heroic stand held of Japanese forces of superior numbers for 4 hours until they exhausted their ammunition. This enabled other members of the commando unit to escape capture. Harris said nothing under Japanese interrogation in with he was bayoneted and eventually died. Five members of the team made it back to Allied lines through the jungle.

Last edited by PeterM7; 07-11-2019 at 05:20 AM.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #18
Asterperious

These were found in a unnamed WWII US Navy photo lot I bought a little while ago. I was going to just list them on eBay as a photo w/ commandos + native soldiers, but it's been absolutely awesome to see how much info has been found!

Old 07-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #19
PeterM7

The Australian War Memorial museum sells copies of these same photos. I guess you have to determine whether your photos are old prints or new? But they not unique.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
scotty1418
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterperious View Post
These were found in a unnamed WWII US Navy photo lot I bought a little while ago. I was going to just list them on eBay as a photo w/ commandos + native soldiers, but it's been absolutely awesome to see how much info has been found!
Can probably assume the sailor was on the sub then?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #21
Asterperious

Finally got around to testing the blacklight on these and they look to be period
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9756.jpg (21.8 KB, 34 views)

Old 08-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #22
SkaraBrae

Silent Service TV series, Season 1, episode 21, "The Grouper Story" is about this mission or a very similar one.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-s...isodes/4813361

I highly recommend it -- because my Father is in it! I still have the Australian bush hat which he traded a black USN watch cap for before they went ashore.