wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

Flak Visier or Flak Optics Help
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Huntermann

Default Flak Visier or Flak Optics Help

I'm Looking for any kind of info on the flak sights; preferably the Flak visier 40.
Images would be appreciated too.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Herr Lyppe

Think you'll need to be a bit more specific. Flakvisier 40 is the early pattern assembly on the 2cm Flakvierling 38 on which was mounted the Visierkopf 38/40. As with every other sight used on the weapon, it was common with the 2cm Flak 38.
To date, no definitive information has been published on these assemblies or their accompanying optics.
If anyone who is in a position to, would care to help with the information I'm missing, I'm keen to make all the information on 2cm Flak 30 and Flak 38 that I've compiled readily available.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Huntermann

http://regimentals.img.jugem.jp/20100215_1713453.jpg

This is not the Flakvisier 40 but it is more of what I am looking for. I would really just be happy with any type of Flak sight that is not some sort of basic iron sight.
Any German sight that uses a lens for Flak and any information on them and Images. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Herr Lyppe

That's a Visierkopf 37. Don't have the manuals for it unfortunately, but I do have on of the sights.
Not entirely sure what you're after. Do you want to buy one?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Mikedenmark
Association Member

Sorry. Wrote something silly.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Huntermann

I just want information and images on any German Flak sight. I do not have money to buy. Looking for Info and Images on Flak sights that look like this one. Basically Flak sights that use Lenses and electronics. Info like: books, pictures, websites, PDFs etc. Stuff like that. I have very little knowledge on German aiming devices in general, and little idea of what they look like especially the reticles they used. Flak sights are one area I would like to gain knowledge on. I just want to be able to get an idea on how they looked, worked, and functioned. Sorry if have not been clear enough.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ch%C3%BCtz.jpg

Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Herr Lyppe

C'mon Mike, we can all do with a bit of humour.

Huntermann, the sight pictured in that link is a Visierkopf 38/40 on a 2cm Flakvierling 38. As i mentioned before, there is no definitive reference on optics such as this.
Probably the best book available at the moment is Nuts & Bolts Vol. 27 '2cm Flakvierling 38'. Detlev Terlisten did a great job of providing a fairly comprehensive overview of the weapon and it's sighting devices.
Below is an illustration from the Flakvisier 38 manual on the basic concept of the Visierkopf 38/40.

Another member here (mlespaul) created a website devoted to optics but it's been some time since I've looked at it so not sure how far it's progressed.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
mlespaul

thanks, and no it hasn't progressed very far.

Herrlyppe and I have had some spirited discussions on here in the past regarding flakvisieren. I think this particular point of departure is on the V.Kopf 37 Uwe, right?

But yes, if we count the 38/40 here as an electronic-visual device, yes, there is a lot of interesting points. HL knows as well as I do, that the Germans figured out an ingenious way to synchronize the visual image received on the glass plate and reflected through the prismatic system, to an electronic array that computed the rotational requirements needed to keep the zieleinrichtung rotating at the necessary speed, and the gun firing at the necessary lead ahead of the aircraft to keep the round going into the path of the plane.

Of course now, we have the modern CIWS system which does that same thing so much better .

Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Huntermann

Thanks for the info. sorry for the late reply.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #10
Asbjørn

I just received this device which I believe is the control panel for the Flakvisier 38/40, am I right?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Herr Lyppe

That's the faceplate/ control panel for both the Flakvisier 38a and Flakvisier 40a.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
Asbjørn

Thank you for the confirmation, do you know if there is a reproduction manual available somewhere?

Here's two more photos:

Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 AM   #13
MoritzSchweik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntermann View Post
I'm Looking for any kind of info on the flak sights; preferably the Flak visier 40.
Images would be appreciated too.
Sir, just joined the site. I own a 98% complete Flak 38 including reflector and 3X ground sites. I can send pictures if you wish. I need help. What would be the rank of a Flak 38 gun commander? Anybody help. Also what personal weapon woul dhe carry?

Old 08-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Eddy.S

Hello,

i am looking for such an schwebekreisvisier 38 or an Visierkopf 38/40 for my Flakprojekt.
Who can help me and offer me such an item for sale?
Thanks for any offer or help which will bring an Demag 1tonner complete with its 2cm FLak38 into the collection and ready to show....

[/QUOTE]