wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

EW.f ?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
umformer

Default EW.f ?

Does anyone know what radio this was used with. Its like a EWb but is marked for 2.4 volts and has a remote turn on which connects to the L and R terminals.

Wolfgang

Last edited by umformer; 06-20-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
snaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by umformer View Post
Does anyone know what radio this was used with. Its like a EWb but is marked for 2.4 volts and has a remote turn on which connects to the L and R terminals.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

TM - E 30-451 list the E.W.f as a 2.4 volt vibrator charging unit for the 15 W.S>E and The Torn. Fu. k.

Richard

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
umformer

Hello
and welcome to the site

That is what I thought also, but not everything is correct in the 30-451

The 15wsea or b I own a b requires +90vdc and -10 vdc for the reciever

That cant be done with this EWf it has a grounded high voltage out, +100 and the negitive side goes to ground.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there is a EWf1 which is used with the 15wse it supplies reciever voltage from a 2.4nc58 or the 4.8 volt battery. It also has a plug in for the pedal generator to run the transmitter of the 15wse and can also be used to charge the 2.4nc 58 and 4.8 volt batteries
Its the size of a torneb.

This EWf can be used with any radio reciever that requires 2.4 filiment voltage and 100 volt plate voltage,negitive to ground.
there are several sets it could go with. In the Heimdal book a few mistakes in there also they show a Ae 1020 which is a torneb type set that uses 2.4vdc tubes and operates on .2 to 15mhz, I would love to find one of those. I was just wondering if any one knew what it was used with forsure.

regards
Wolfgang

Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Funksammler

The E.W.f indeed belongs the the 15 W.S. The receiver part of the 15 W.S. was fed from a 2.4 NC 58 battery via the E.W.f while the transmitter was powered by the T.M. 15 bicycle generator. The battery could also be charged by the T.M. 15 when the transmitter was not in use. Below a picture of hte E.W.f in it's case:

Photobucket

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
umformer

Thanks funksammler

I have a 5/10/44 dated manual D 1024/1 Der Wechselrichtersatz (E) f 1and it is different it shows a complete frount panel with no slide in power supply EWf yours may be an earlier version? If so were do they get the -10 volts dc for the 15wse grid bias

If it does come from the EWf I will have to take a look at it again to see why the negitve high voltage goes to ground possible someone changed it.

This is good news for me

Thanks
Wolfgang

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Funksammler

Correct, a later version called the E.W.f1 was developed which had the vibrator supply integrated into the supply unit. Both your and my E.W.f are 1941 dated, coupled to the green colour makes them a typical early war piece of equipment (the later E.W.f1 is usually found in grey, pointing at a post 1943 manufacture). I don't have any schematics here at the moment, so I can't check for the negative bias voltage.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Yuri D.

The nice battery / pedal generator unit Funksammler has is called the "5a". Note the reference to the E.W.f1 in the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060049.jpg (61.8 KB, 300 views)

Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
Funksammler

I think it is "Sa" standing for "Sammler". By the way, I am still looking for better references to the elusive Fu 25 box. Since both the E.W.F and E.W.f1 are "Halbtornister" (Half back loads), I suspect the Fu 25 was the other half, connecting on top of the E.W.f (in the same way that the Torn.E.b and Zubehoer boxes are connected).

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Yuri D.

By the way, how did the Gegengewicht work? Looks like there are 3 * 6 meter wires? Were they buried or just laid on the ground? Were there grounding spikes involved?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Funksammler

The Gegeggewicht is are wires laid on the ground. Typically they were laid roughly in the direction of the other station. I suspect the Gegengewichte of the 15 W.S.E. were of similar construction to those of the Torn.Fu.b1 etc, I have to check the length to see how they compare.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Tornfuté

the gegengewicht is 4 wires of 1,8m laying on the ground , they plug on the set at the plug marked G by a banana plug .
earth of coax cable is connect to antenna base by small wire with banana plug
center of coax connect to top of antenna
pierre

Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #12
Funksammler

The "Stabhochantenne A" used with the 15 W.S.E.b is not a VHF ground plane antenna, it does not use a coax feed. The 7,5 meter feed wire in series with the 1,4 meter rod essentially forms a nearly 9 meter long rod antenna. At 3-4.8 Mhz (60-100 meters wavelength) this is 1/8th wavelenth antenna.

A counterpoise is needed with this type of antenna to reduce the ground losses. At 6 meters or 10% of the lowest wavelength the ones used for the 15 W.S.E.b seem a bit short but it probably leads to an antenna efficiency of just over 30%, enough to give the 15 W.S.E.b a decent tactical range of about 200 km.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Yuri D.

30% antenna efficiency is damn good (if actually achieved). I believe the post-war SEM25 was able to get around 22% efficiency, but war-time portable and vehicular devices were far less efficient.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri D. View Post
The nice battery / pedal generator unit Funksammler has is called the "5a". Note the reference to the E.W.f1 in the diagram.
I belive that TM 15a is a pedal generator at this schematics - TretMaschine 15a.
From there connection goes to the EW.f, but what's the 5a?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Funksammler

Sa is the Sammler. The reciever is fed from a vibrator power supply which is fed from a 2,4 Volt NC battery. The Transmitter is fed directly from the TM.15. The TM 15 can also be use to recharge the battery when not transmitting.

The vehicle power supply is equally complex, an E.W.e vibrator power supply supplies the receiver, the U15 powers the transmitter. Both power supply units are connected via a KV 15 "Kabelverteiler" to the tranceiver.

Alternatively to the TM 15 pedal generator, you could use the U15 with the E.W.f as a field supply.....

regards,

Funksammler