wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Militaria Forum

Imperial Militaria Forum The discussion and study of Imperial German awards and of their Central Powers Allies from the First World War

Naval Landflyer Prinzensize
Old 10-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Hagrid
Association Member

Default Naval Landflyer Prinzensize

Hello!
After the intense debating of Mario´s and Marko´s imperial flight-badges, I would like to contribute another piece to the discussion:
A prinzen landflyer (actually two of them...), that was part of a group I recently bought. It originates from an "old collection" and might as well have been put together with the other pieces because there was no name connected with the group.
I liked the clasp a lot, especially the "Luftkrieg" and "1.SFA" clasps on the ribbons! (The IC 1st class is a privately purchased AWS made of 925 silver...)
When researching the "Prinzen", I found it in Stephen´s latest book (twice!), classified as "contemporary" and original. Baldes on the other hand lists it as "collectors copy" (five pages prior to his rating of a perfect Quadrat Seaflyer as "fake"...)
When examined in hand it´s a very convincing and detailed piece of jewelery - I´m personally having no issues with it.
Because I want to part from one of them, I would like to have other opinions about these badges:
Who has seen other examples, when and where? What do you think of the time frame they have been built in? Any comments about originality and rareness? Ideas on the value or former prices in auctions etc.?
Every input is highly appreciated - check the pictures as well....

Regards
Hagrid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050578.JPG (100.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P1050581.JPG (161.6 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Hagrid; 10-03-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Hagrid
Association Member

Pictures of front and reverse - hard to photograph because of the shiny surface.
The traces of wear are visible at the usual places...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04_Seeflieger.jpg (235.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 05_Seeflieger.jpg (66.3 KB, 71 views)

Old 10-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #3
Hagrid
Association Member

Hardware setup - the catch is slightly bent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prinz13.jpg (119.8 KB, 69 views)

Old 10-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Ferg 1

Hi Hagrid, I had one of these halbgrosse badges a while ago and thought it was a fine badge by the quad maker...... until I found a correct one by this maker. I agree that the detail on yours is good but compare it to the correct quad made piece and you will see a world of difference. It is perhaps even better detail than the full size counterpart ! I assume that both badges you have are the same?
Alas , I cannot post pics but it you pm me your email I will send you pics of my quad made piece , it is a stunning piece. The badges that you have may well be later pieces ,who can tell. The hardware on reverse seems very similar to mine but that is all. Ferg

Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Hagrid
Association Member

Hi Ferg!
You're right - both badges are the same. Until your post it never occured to me they could be Quadrat pieces...
Regards
Hagrid

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Ferg 1

I am not sure they are, would be cautious about them. Ferg