wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Optics Forum

Optics Forum Rangefinders, binoculars, sniper scopes, cameras and their accessories

Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
SINGLE CLAW

The German Army did NOT use 8X Scopes . They did use 4X & 6X and the Triangle Mark can be found on the Zeiss 4X & 6X Scopes Military Scopes .

The Pictures of the High Turret Sniper Rifle with the 8X Scope from German Sniper Rifles Book that is shown here , this piece is a Fake .

The reticule in this 8X being discussed is one of the Reticule Types that was offered when the Scope was ordered . I have seen this Reticule Type before . I have only seen this Reticule Type in 4X 6X 8x Zeiss Commercial Scopes .

The 8X being asked about , if I am not mistaken has a Set of High Turret Rings which are Reproduction . In fact that whole set is a FANTASY Piece that is waiting for some uninformed/wronglyinformed collector that will purchase it .

Old 01-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #17
hchris

As far as I know there are no World War II era photos of soldiers using 8x scopes, are there?

Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #18
Promo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison987 View Post
This is what the owner responded with, when I said this was not military:

"I will not agree with you and your thesis because Germans and English in the period after World War I underestimated snipers as soldiers who could outweigh the victory on their side. I have been interested in sniper activity for 25 years and from what I know about the First World War, Germans and Englishmen did not order any rifles for the army. Often German First War rifles, e.g. mauser gewer with scopes, were delivered to the civilian market (sold for a song) or lay as superfluous in warehouses. The only nation that developed sniper ranks among the people were Russians who promoted shooting sport among ordinary people. They often organized shooting competitions. When World War II began the Germans had virtually no rifles or trained snipers. In urgent mode, they began to train snipers and order and buy equipment, rifles and telescopes. Some of the scopes used by German snipers came from the 1930s and were stored in factory warehouses, and earlier these scopes were intended for the civil market, but the immediate order of the army forced entrepreneurs to withdraw the scopes from the civil market from sales and handing them over to the army. In this case, this is exactly what Zeiss did and was handed over to the wermacht. The Zielacht x8 spotting scopes were used by sniper riflemen acting alone or with an observer, and the zielsechs x6 spotting scopes and the Zielvier x4 spotting scopes of course in the wehrmacht, but as I remember correctly in platoons, and that is the difference.

In addition, Zielacht spotting scopes were mainly used for tactical shooting at at long distances, e.g. steppes in Russia and were used in the German army, but they were not as widespread as telescopes with x4 or x6 magnification. In addition, most sharpshooters had the option of choosing a telescope, and often a mounting type. Such a selection of weapons took place already at the sniper school. This course lasted about six or four months. German sniper school was located during the war 200 meters from my place of residence, and I see the shooters where snipers were shooting from my window"
This is BS. Original documents claim that only 6x magnification is allowed. Of course when trying to sell something you try to get most money. This happens when you claim it is something rare.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #19
Mikedenmark
Association Member

Don´t be so harsh. He SAW them, okay. From his window, no less. I love how real experts can identify the magnification of a scope under such conditions.

It is like, when I was at Ciney a couple of years ago. Someone had very nice SS regulation books for sale. Asked where such nice items came from, the answer was: A book printer. Not wrong, only, not exactly a dating either. The seller smirked at me, while saying so. Still, I bought a couple. Acknowledging they were fun and that he didn´t really lie to me.

The reply shown below doesn´t REALLY say anything that is a lie. Somewhere, someone, probably, used at least one Zielacht.
But, the statement lacks a lot in accuracy. And, if you believe you have found a rare gem/bargain, then this is exactly the flim-flam that will make you trust your own beliefs and good luck, rather than stop, and think.

Last edited by Mikedenmark; 01-25-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #20
SINGLE CLAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchris View Post
As far as I know there are no World War II era photos of soldiers using 8x scopes, are there?
Agree , I have been collecting German Sniper Rifles , Scopes and Mounts also Period photos for well over 20+Years and I have never seen an Original photo or an 8X Scope that was Period Original Sniper Scope .

The biggest Travesty IMHO is the fact that A. Wacker saw fit to put photos of a Fake Post War put together High Turret with 8X Zeiss in the Book , The German Sniper from the Propaganda series Book .

A Wacker would have been better off to just reference the fact that 8x Scopes were tested by the Heer for use on Sniper Rifles but it was found that the 8x Scopes field of view was not suitable and therefor it was disqualified . But he choose to put an outright fake in the book which has lead to all the disinformation and fakery by those wanting to cash in at the expense of uneducated collectors .

Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #21
harrison987
Association Member

Thank guys!

Much appreciated...

Someone should tell Ed Harris...hahaha

https://www.facebook.com/251stummel

Any donations are welcome to help fund the restoration of this very rare vehicle.