wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Pionier - Artillerie schirmmutze
Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
NickG
Association Member

Default Pionier - Artillerie schirmmutze

Thoughts on this Pioneer - Artillery red piped black banded field gray visor cap.
What is it worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1cap.jpg (40.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg WW1cap1.jpg (32.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg WW1cap2.jpg (32.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg WWcap3.jpg (34.9 KB, 66 views)

Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
NickG
Association Member

I got it for $490...
The original price was well north of $700...
Hope I did OK.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:19 AM   #3
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Wow that is some cap. I would have expected officer cockades on such a nice cap instead of NCO ones. Also the black cord band on the cap instead of velvet is rather unusual but quite attractive.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
BenVK
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
I got it for $490...
Hope I did OK.
You did just fine!

Caps made from this fabric are commonly described as "Colonial" but I'm not 100% sure that's accurate because why make a hat from thick corduroy for hot climates?

More examples:
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imperi...adgear-529060/

Anyway, your is a very nice example and I would have been happy paying that price.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
You did just fine!

Caps made from this fabric are commonly described as "Colonial" but I'm not 100% sure that's accurate because why make a hat from thick corduroy for hot climates?

More examples:
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imperi...adgear-529060/

Anyway, your is a very nice example and I would have been happy paying that price.
Germany's colonial troops (Schutztruppe) wore corduroy uniforms - hence the term colonial.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
I got it for $490...
Hope I did OK.
I would have no problems with a price tag of 600 usd - so 490 is doing well.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
phild

I also think that the price is good.

The discussion of corduroy material has come up several times before both as it relates to WWI and WWII era uniforms. What is often missed is that corduroy type weave was used both for wool (as is this cap) and cotton fibers and it seems that many or most collectors have no idea how to tell which is which.

Plenty of colonial and even tropical uniform items were made of different weaves and weights of wool to be sure, but most of this wool corduroy material is pretty heavy and tightly woven.......certainly intended for cooler climate wear.....probably even warmer than issue woolen uniform cloth.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
Plenty of colonial and even tropical uniform items were made of different weaves and weights of wool to be sure, but most of this wool corduroy material is pretty heavy and tightly woven.......certainly intended for cooler climate wear.....probably even warmer than issue woolen uniform cloth.
Let us remember that German troops were dying of thirst under the scorching sun during the day and freezing at night whilst campaigning in German South West Africa. Hard to make a uniform that covers these extremes.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
BenVK
Association Member

I find it very interesting that corduroy fabric, wool or cotton, was chosen at all.

There must have been a good reason to do so and it's probably documented somewhere.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
phild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
I find it very interesting that corduroy fabric, wool or cotton, was chosen at all.

There must have been a good reason to do so and it's probably documented somewhere.
I have seen it specified as an option on officer uniform price lists, I think it was called “Kord” but not 100% on that as it has been about 20 years since I have studied imperial private purchase catalogs.

I understand it was very hard wearing and it can been seen in wear in many studio portraits of officer and NCOs.

All that said, there were different qualities available. The cap shown in this thread appears to be made of one of the lighter weight wool kords that I am familiar with, but I would have to see it to say for sure.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
NickG
Association Member

I will confirm the material and get close up images as soon as it arrives!
Here some web images of other gear covered in corduroy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180528_161553.jpg (60.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180528_161541.jpg (84.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180528_161849.jpg (92.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by NickG; 05-28-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
phild

The canteen and field cap appear to be in cotton corduroy. The colonial uniforms that I have examined in cotton corduroy are more tan in color like the field cap you show, not a variation of feldgrau. A lot of wartime trousers were supplied in brownish cotton corduroy for soldiers wear on western and eastern fronts and these can be seen in photos. It was a utility fabric in cotton.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
NickG
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post
The canteen and field cap appear to be in cotton corduroy. The colonial uniforms that I have examined in cotton corduroy are more tan in color like the field cap you show, not a variation of feldgrau. A lot of wartime trousers were supplied in brownish cotton corduroy for soldiers wear on western and eastern fronts and these can be seen in photos. It was a utility fabric in cotton.
Good points hard wearing sturdy material.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 AM   #14
kaiserwilhelm2
Association Member

IMO kord or corduroy was the more expensive material to have a uniform made of. Fieldgrey kord uniforms are much rarer than non-kord uniforms and are (almost) always officer tunics and always private purchase tunics. This with the exception of the Schutztruppe. However the Schutztruppe was something of an exception with uniforms being supplied by the high end German tailoring firm Tippelskirch which made a big profit outfitting the Schutztruppe.