wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
Chip M
Member
 
Chip M's Avatar
 
Chip M is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,334
Default

Hans,

It came with a K.u.K. marked Gummimaske.

Chip
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
Hans K.
Association Member
 
Hans K.'s Avatar
 
Hans K. is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip M View Post
Hans,

It came with a K.u.K. marked Gummimaske.

Chip
It's remarkable how often I've seen A-H issued masks in the wrong carrier. That's rarely the case with German masks.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

I just got hands on this (sadly) overpainted gm15 can. Please help me with 2 questions:

1. Remove the grey paint or leave it as it is.
2. The straps look good but i think that these are gm17 can carrying straps or am i wrong?

Thanks
Hagen










  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #19
Hans K.
Association Member
 
Hans K.'s Avatar
 
Hans K. is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,182
Default

I agree with you about the straps being GM17 types. I doubt they're original to the canister. The Germans did reissue the old Gummi GM16 cans with paper cloth straps but in that case they were refitted with deeper lids to accommodate the GM17 leather mask. These are sometimes erroneously referred to as M1918 canisters.

I can't help you regarding the paint removal. I would leave it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #20
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans K. View Post
I agree with you about the straps being GM17 types. I doubt they're original to the canister. The Germans did reissue the old Gummi GM16 cans with paper cloth straps but in that case they were refitted with deeper lids to accommodate the GM17 leather mask. These are sometimes erroneously referred to as M1918 canisters.

I can't help you regarding the paint removal. I would leave it.
Great help! Thanks!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #21
Gran Sasso
Association Member
 
Gran Sasso is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: bavaria
Posts: 14,273
Default

I would remove the paint. If the original paint would not come up, you can repaint it again, in better color than is it now. So it will improve anyway.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Sasso View Post
I would remove the paint. If the original paint would not come up, you can repaint it again, in better color than is it now. So it will improve anyway.
I will try to remove it and show you the results!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #23
Johnny R
Association Member
 
Johnny R's Avatar
 
Johnny R is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern US
Posts: 17,307
Default

The paper tag looks like a museum acquisition tag where the donor would be McQueen and the rest of the information related to control numbers and the place where it was found and "WWI". Wherever it came from there probably is a inventory card with more info.
__________________
Collecting Nebeltruppe-Smoke Troops Items and Post-War Unit Histories
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 AM   #24
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny R View Post
The paper tag looks like a museum acquisition tag where the donor would be McQueen and the rest of the information related to control numbers and the place where it was found and "WWI". Wherever it came from there probably is a inventory card with more info.
Could be...maybe our french collectors know more about a local military museum in Beaupaume.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #25
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

I just got hands on this nice untouched Rahmenmaske. The written initials are Post war IMO but i hope you like it though.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #26
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans K. View Post
...another "early" feature hagen191's can has is the absence of some sort of wire cage or other device inside the lid to help compress the mask into the canister when closing the lid, as seen on these Austrian cans below. The very early German M16 canisters also lack this trait - left can in lower picture.
I found this early Bereitschaftsbüchse with the same blue/grey finish like the second one from your pic, Hans. Named to M Barth/10. Kompanie.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #27
Hans K.
Association Member
 
Hans K.'s Avatar
 
Hans K. is offline
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,182
Default

Very nice. The colour does compare closely to the paint on my canister, and the inscription is particularly well done. I have to update my early mask collection and will take some pictures during the summer.

Last edited by Hans K.; 06-03-2018 at 10:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #28
naxos
Association Member
 
naxos's Avatar
 
naxos is online now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen.191 View Post
. Named to M Barth/10. Kompanie.
Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Another nice can Hagen!

BTW: the "M" stands for Musketier

Musketier
Barth
10. Kompanie
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #29
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naxos View Post
Another nice can Hagen!

BTW: the "M" stands for Musketier

Musketier
Barth
10. Kompanie
Thanks very interesting additional Information!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #30
hagen.191
Member
 
hagen.191's Avatar
 
hagen.191 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans K. View Post
Very nice. The colour does compare closely to the paint on my canister, and the inscription is particularly well done. I have to update my early mask collection and will take some pictures during the summer.
I am really looking forward to see the new pics

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com