wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 05-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #31
Funksammler

With the help of Reidmuller (many thanks!), I received a copy of the after action report on the la Caine raid. Due to copyright restrictions, I can not post the material online but I will share my analysis.

The report is based on observations after the area was liberated and it was mainly concerned in analysing the damage done by the ordnance dropped during the raid. It revolves around 7 "incidents" of vehicle wrecks found and describes the damage inflicted on those vehicles. Unfortunately no armoured vehicles are described, the only thing that the Germans left were wrecks of some light staff cards, an omnibus and some light trucks. The report also contains a photograph of the original mass grave listing the names of the fifteen fatal casualties of the raid including Gen. Von Dawans.

Most vehicles were analysed were hit by shell fragments of nearby explosions. It is clear that the vehicles had been stripped of anything useful before the allies arrived, some are missing their engine, most are missing their wheels.

One of the vehicles discussed is listed as a signals lorry (I have not been able to identify the type of vehicle yet, the grainy picture shows the underside of the vehicle which is lying on its side), The report states that "one or two strikes on top of the lorry had probably been caused by machine gun fire. This would be consistent with the damage found on the radio rack.

So the report gives no direct evidence to support or discount the destruction of a Kommandofunkwagen at the la Caine raid but it does give an impression of the damage inflicted. Most vehicles were damaged by shrapnell from nearby explosions with some evidence of machine gun damage from above. Interestingly the report also states that no evidence of rocket motors or direct evidence of the rocket propelled attacks (... by Typhoons...) could be found.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #32
Funksammler

I found this quote from the "Kriegstagebuch" of the 5th Panzer army:

"10.6 20:30 Mehrmaliger Angriff amerik.Jabos und 2-mot Bomber auf Gef.Stand Panzergruppe. Im Stabe 17 Tote und 1 Vermisster. Unter den Toten des Chef des Genst. Gen.Maj.v.Dawans, 1a Major i.G Burgstahler, 1d Major i.G v.Waldow, O 1 Rittm.Kühl, O 3 Rittm.Buchheim. Vermisst Flivo der Panzergruppe Hauptmann Hinkeldeyn. Bei der Pz.Gr.Nachr.Abt.676 12 Tote , darunter der L.d.N.Oblt.Fugh. Bei Wachkp.3 Tote. Nachts weiterhin laufend Bordwaffen-angriffe auf La Caine.
Stab in den Nachtsunden auf dem Gef.Stand herausgezogen un zu H.Qu verlegt.
O.B.-Staffel verlegt 23.00 Uhr zur Qu.-Staffel.
Gemäss Funkspruch Chef des Stabes AOK 7 an I.SS.Pz.Korps gibt Panzergruppe den Befehl an Kom.Gen. I.SS-Pz.Korps ab."

Of the 17 killed, 12 were in the Pz.Gr.Nachrichten.Abt. 676. The "Leutnant der Nachrichten: Oblt Fuhg is mentioned specifically. Note that his name is spelled incorrectly in the "Kriegstagebuch". The Bombing Analysis Unit report also misspells his name taken from the original grave marker at la Caine as "Fulig". I visited his grave at la Cambe this afternoon:

photo P1040622_zps7vykv5ds.jpg

What is clear is that the signals unit 676 was the hardest hit unit during the raid.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #33
Yuri D.
Association Member

More pictures of this rack I found in my archives:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8KHM250BFunk1.jpg (134.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 251_3interiorElevatedWBS_ML .jpg (112.8 KB, 51 views)

Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #34
Yuri D.
Association Member

And more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251_3VRosiInteriorML.jpg (29.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Concord70160019_resize.jpg (93.4 KB, 47 views)

Old 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #35
Yuri D.
Association Member

A couple of more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ellissen 05.jpg (186.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg GP38.jpg (93.4 KB, 49 views)

Old 12-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #36
Funksammler

Thanks for posting these, they show some interesting details of the variations that could be build with the late war type frame. The one of the Luftwaffe Flivo's is different though, this was a special frame to hold the FuG 10 aircraft installation. They have strapped a Torn.E.b with battery case on top for good measure....

regards,

Funksammler