wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #16
Cmarcell

Bought this in audio book version. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. If the book is fiction it's odd. The type of accounts in the book are not something that hasn't been in other books. Nothing ground breaking, just a good perspective from the german side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2018, 05:16 AM   #17
Jean-Loup
Association Member

I first heard about this book on the US militaria forum, and have just posted this comment over there:

"I posted a review of this book on the WAF forum, and was made aware that there is doubt wether the stories are true, or fiction.

So I did a bit of digging on google, and found that the author, does not exist, nor does his name, Eckhertz, even exist. It is therefore difficult to contact him of course.

Apparently the same editing house has made several very questionable books, and is also not availlable for answering questions.

There are also some people, including myself, who noted strange similarities between the stories told by different witnesses... The very first and last stories in the book both seem very far fetched.

With all this in mind, this book in my opinion should be considered questionable until the author comes out of the shadows and proves that what he writes in the book is truthful, by telling the real name of his grandfather (who conducted the interviews) and by showing evidence that these interviews actualy exist. But since the author is deliberatly hidding, I doubt that will ever happen.

Sorry for my first very positive review, I guess this is another case of "too good to be true".

I have no problem with fiction writers, but I have a huge problem with fiction being passed off as real life stories. It cheapens the actual stories of real witnesses, and polutes the historical record with questionable and false information, so as not to say disinformation.

JL"

Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #18
Tom B

Tom

Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
Jean-Loup
Association Member

The press finaly seems to be waking up to this. In my opinion it is a disgrace that a book with such questionable provinance can have such success:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e...book-tpd9mj0vc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...brication.html

Amazon's D-Day bestseller 'is a HOAX': Historians claim 'Through German Eyes' book is a fabrication because no soldiers named in it can be traced and its author is nowhere to be seen

Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #20
Kelly w

I read only 2 accounts before seeing your review Jean in my thread. I will comment on one. On June 6 I watched a show about D-day forgot the title now, that matched the book account almost word for word from a German veteran who was captured at Normandy. Different name from the book.

Account was when 2 German troops came across a dead US Para. One guy took a photo off him of his girl and was going to take the ring or hack the ring finger off. He told the guy don't take the ring/finger because if caught they would kill him. Later captured the search revealed the photo. He was hit by the US soldier in the book version. In real he got a bayonet stab in the butt. Both accounts mention it was a good thing that the ring wasn't found.

The book looks to me to be a collection of stories some true and others not, put into a unique format about before and after capture. Maybe why the good sales.