wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #31
ROBB
Association Member

Is the perp still alive ? that is the question . If he's so good at doing decals did he do camo's as well ? Rob

Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #32
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB View Post
Is the perp still alive ? that is the question . If he's so good at doing decals did he do camo's as well ? Rob
Although very tempting to name suspects and start a lynching for these frauds which, because of the amount of money defrauded rise to many serious felonies under the US criminal system, I would personally advise every member of this Frourm to refrain from making any specific allegations or accusations against any person. Even if such person is guilty of the offenses, such person may bring defamation / libel suits against his/her accusers and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to prove that such person was the actual "artist" who manufactured these fantasy helmets. All he/she needs to allege if shown that such person was in the actual chain of custody of such helmets is that he/she was also a "victim" of the fraud. So in order to avoid further potential ugliness and avoid additional victims, there should be no mention of who the potential culprit or culprits are in this gran heist.

Anyway, I found this thread that I had posted back in 2011 which explained my observations on the subject of champagne runes. I think it is an interesting read in light of recent developments:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=Champagne

We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945

Last edited by WalterB; 11-28-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #33
Bill Hermann
Association Member

Well done Doug and ZAM , reading that thread does make one cringe. A lot of folk are going to lose out with this new info . Amazing when you look back on the overspray , it really stands out like dogs nasties to anyone who is familiar with air brushing ! Bill

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #34
Crusader17
Association Member

Terrific work Doug, and very much needed.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #35
Oregon

Bravo, Doug!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #36
DougB

Yes Walter good point. Gentlemen for my part it was to simply prove from a technical aspect that these either were real, or were not. Who made them is of little consequence. They haven't been made for some time. We have a photographic record of most if not all of them now thanks to GHW and WAF. We now know exactly and precisely what to look for. Case closed.

Rob it's my understanding that the faker stuck to decal forgeries and not camos. He has made a Pocher but it is easily spotted.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #37
Raymond270
Association Member

So now it is called Golden toned.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #38
DougB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond270 View Post
So now it is called Golden toned.
It's not toned anything. It's all paint.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 AM   #39
Raymond270
Association Member

I know I am just going off what I saw from a couple of days ago a helmet with a champagne decal to be called golden toned today on a well known website
for helmets I am on your side I collect SS items but not helmets and I usually run them thru forums check photos on the internet and look in my books and still
it can be very hard the blacklight test is inconclusive.
As far as guarantees go you have to be sure there are no disclaimers such as (To The Best Of My Knowledge) which is used by experts also in their books.

Last edited by Raymond270; 11-29-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: more info

Old 11-29-2015, 03:27 AM   #40
nlmedic

Great!

Old 11-29-2015, 04:29 AM   #41
ZAM
Expelled

At least it all will come to an good end!

It was not only some posts in the thread, i got some very bad pm`s back then, from the helmet seller and a few "collectors", who i am that i would wrote such things...

I forgot the thread in the meantime, thanks for the PM`s FrenchVolunteer and RoyA

Best regards
Dirk

Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #42
bigschuss
Association Member

Doug, just out of curiosity about the learning process for you. You disagreed with Walter and Dirk in both of those earlier threads that were posted. Was your eventual change of opinion based on a slow accumulation of evidence and a reshaping of your ideas? Or did it come more suddenly like a light bulb going off?

I'm fascinated by this watershed moment. You are the Charles Darwin of German helmet collecting.

Blair

Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #43
Paul.B.

Excellent work and outcome Doug.
Lot of egg on a lot of faces.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #44
Eric Von Rader

Doug is the CSI of helmet investigations!

He used sounds scientific methods to prove / disprove a theory. Had it not been for the internet and collector forums this would had never came to light. No doubt one of the biggest cases of grand larceny regarding a 25 year scam. Who wants to bet all decals were fabricated from 1 person? Its only a matter of time as the name will come out!?

Interesting many old guard still have a hard time embracing the "dot.com sites". As we can clearly see it has educated many of the collectors. It also allows us to track items, once posted its a living document and owner history. If any "tinkering" takes place it will be noticed.

Great job Doug! You clearly didn't obtain a massive collection by a passive person! Bravo

Education is our greatest defense!

Old 11-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #45
Glenn66

Great work Doug!