wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

KM officer's visor cap question
Old 02-03-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
George Stimson
Forums Moderator

Default KM officer's visor cap question

At a show this weekend I saw a Kriegsmarine officer's visor cap that appeared to be "textbook" except that the seam for the mohair band was off center -- in fact over the left ear! Could this be so on an original cap?

George

Old 02-06-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
George Stimson
Forums Moderator

So nobody has a problem with a KM officer's Schirmmutze with the band seam over the left ear?

George

Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
Perry Floyd
Lifetime Member

I'm not sure as I only have a general knowledge of cloth caps. But having said that if that is original it would be what collectors call a factory flaw, in other terms it's a liability and may make it difficult to resell. Gary Wilkins you out there??

Thanks Perry
Old 02-06-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
George Stimson
Forums Moderator

Default Thanks Perry

"if that is original it would be what collectors call a factory flaw, in other terms it's a liability and may make it difficult to resell"

That was my concern. Other than the misplaced seam, the cap looked great! And, the price was right!

George

KH with Side seam
Old 02-09-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
Gary Wilkins

Default KH with Side seam

HI George, Perry !

Sorry, have been in the midst of making a decision whether to change my present job, and move to another pary of the state, or not; have not had time to visit the Forum of late until today, and missed Perry's "Gary out thre" call. I did get your message today, George. So here goes: The cap band on Navy caps technically should have the seam at the front center. There are several issues involved with this, though. There is an outer mohair cap band, which is actually moveable on some caps (i.e. notably on the removeable blue top visor cap, for example) and thus can slip position. The mohair band seam is supposed to be positioned at the front, however, under the wreath. There's also the actual, structural cap band - part of the cap itself - behind the mohair.
The mohair band in some cases can actually be removed, and this is why the bottom of the cap band area has a ridge rather than standard piping - to prevent the mohair band from slipping down. On Luftwaffe caps in comparison, the ribbed mohair (or rayon) band is always an absolutely integral, permanent part of the cap's construction.

On the structural cap band beneath the mohair, where is the actual structural seam located?

A seam on the side is technically a liability, but there were so many companies - some of which were not always in accord (either knowingly or unknowingly) with regulations - that an exception is always possible; assuming every other aspect of the cap is right on, I would not necessarily dismiss it due only to the seam's location (particularly if the seller is willing to give you a guarantee).

Hope this helps!

Gary Wilkins

Old 02-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
George Stimson
Forums Moderator

Gary,

Thanks for the answer!

As for the location of the actual structural seam of the cap, I didn't really examine it thoroughly enough to notice. Everything else about the cap looked good except for the outside seam.
One other thing that bothered me about the fellow, though, was that although he had a lot of good looking KM stuff (tunics and headgear), one of the caps he had was an officer's cap for chaplains. Like the other cap, it looked very good. But he had a card next to it that claimed it was featured in your recent headgear book. I've been through your book many times looking for it (a pleasurable excursion every time!), but I haven't seen such a cap in there!
I didn't get the dealer's name as I was not really in a position to seriously consider buying any of his material.

George

KM Chaplain Visor
Old 02-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #7
Gary Wilkins

Default KM Chaplain Visor

Hi George,

Thanks for the comments - all I can say is that my intention for the book was to create something that would be used. Thus far, it seems I have achieved that, at least!

Given the additional info you've told me about the fellow, he seems to have knowingly fibbed (making his products questionable, too)- there is NO such picture in my book - in fact, I forgot to even mention the chaplain insignia in the book...something for the second edition, or a supplement, I suppose! No matter how hard you try, you always miss something..

Thanks again, and glad to help.

Gary Wilkins

Old 02-11-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
kennethc
Association Member

Gary,

Thanks for the book cover and book plate A+.
All the best in your career.

regards
kenneth

Kriegsmarine Officer white top cap
Old 10-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
baldwinloco12

Default Kriegsmarine Officer white top cap

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group and not sure if this is where I should post this but could you guys tell me what you think about the Kriegsmarine officer cap with a white removable top? I have an opportunity to buy it from a dealer for a good price.

Thanks, Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_0137.jpg (71.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_0140.jpg (69.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_0141.jpg (88.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_9742.jpg (51.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_9743.jpg (78.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 560212-DSC_9747.jpg (93.1 KB, 77 views)

Old 10-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #10
jacquesf
Association Member

You have posted in the helmet forum, try the next one for soft headgear. Don't buy this hat, there is a reason why it has a "good price". . J

Old 10-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #11
Schwerpunkt
Association Member

Looks like a Das boot movie prop.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
panzer1432

Clearly reproduction. Nice for Halloween !