wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Japanese Militaria Forum

Japanese Militaria Forum All Japanese Militaria

Trying to get more information about this ww2 Japanese gunto Katana
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
PoinsettA

Default Trying to get more information about this ww2 Japanese gunto Katana

Here are some detailed pictures of the sword, and the signature on the tang. Any and all information would be appreciated. What kind of sword? Who made it? Etc.

The knot is brown and blue, handle is brown with a white sandy bead texture grip, and the scabbard is a brownish green color.

https://imgur.com/a/oVMvjts

https://imgur.com/a/NBe02od

https://imgur.com/a/TKufhsN

https://imgur.com/a/kY2Z5cF

Thanks guys

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
BruceP
Association Member

Type 98 Japanese Army Officer gunto with Company grade tassel ( Lt and Captain). Someone will help with the smith name soon.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
GHP
Distinguished Contributor

篠田氏房鍛之
Shinoda Ujifusa Kitae Kore
This was Forged by Shinoda Ujifusa

He was rated Chu-Saku [mid-level work] and won a Third Seat 優秀 “Superior” rating in the 6th New-made Japanese Sword Exhibition in 1941.
http://www.jp-sword.com/files/seki/gendaito.html

—Guy

Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
PoinsettA

Wow, I am impressed. You guys are awesome! Thank you so much, really. About what is the value of this sword?

It's in the original wood crate wrapped in the wax paper that was sent back by the Vet, and has somewhat of the leather handleguard wrap left.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #5
GHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinsettA View Post
Wow, I am impressed. You guys are awesome! Thank you so much, really. About what is the value of this sword?

It's in the original wood crate wrapped in the wax paper that was sent back by the Vet, and has somewhat of the leather handleguard wrap left.

Dunno ... I'm just someone who can read some Japanese. Everything depends on the condition/quality of the blade; has to be seen in-hand to get a proper evaluation. Others can give you a ballpark figure of its value as a military sword.

--Guy

Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
BruceP
Association Member

98's of this kind range from $900-1,400 USD, depending upon the overall condition and the blade itself. Blades made by famous smiths command higher prices. I'm not a follower of the famous smiths, so can't comment on yours, but yours should fall in the 1,000 to 1,200 range, unless somebody is looking for this smith in particular. That can push the asking price up a tad bit.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
PoinsettA

I see, the blade seems to be in really good condition, I can post more pictures of it later. I just didn’t know if being in the original wood shipping crate with the wax paper and having the leather handle guard would increase its value or not.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinsettA View Post
I see, the blade seems to be in really good condition, I can post more pictures of it later. I just didn’t know if being in the original wood shipping crate with the wax paper and having the leather handle guard would increase its value or not.
Naturally having additional accessories increases value. If you look on this site you will see hilt covers sold separately, to give you an idea of their potential worth. I’m not sure if Bruce factored that in when he gave you his ballpark figure?
http://www.guntoartswords.com/010878.html

For me, whilst the shipping box and paper are interesting, I wouldn’t pay much more for them, as it is swords which I collect. However, if two broadly similar swords were for sale at the same price, one in its box and the other not, I’d choose the one with the box. So, I’d say it may make it more saleable rather than more expensive.
Others may have a different view.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
reeder3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
98's of this kind range from $900-1,400 USD, depending upon the overall condition and the blade itself. Blades made by famous smiths command higher prices. I'm not a follower of the famous smiths, so can't comment on yours, but yours should fall in the 1,000 to 1,200 range, unless somebody is looking for this smith in particular. That can push the asking price up a tad bit.
I have some nice gendaito (traditionally hand forged) listed for not much more than your quoted range for the showato.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
GHP

Here are the images in the links PoinsettA posted. Generally an image of the full tang (without the habaki/collar) is helpful.

Cheers,
--Guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (175.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (200.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (145.7 KB, 51 views)