wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Japanese Militaria Forum

Japanese Militaria Forum All Japanese Militaria

Old 09-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
nickn
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeder3 View Post
Looks like one of the fakes being sold on eBay with flamboyant hamon and fake aged Nakago to me.
Please may we have a link to Sword’s like this one for sale on ebay

Old 09-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #17
reeder3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
When it comes to gendai, nihonto, I'm not an expert. But I would second Steve's comments here. I've never seen a Chinese fake with metalurgical flaws that have been exposed by multiple polishings, like this one. I agree, somewhere in it's life, someone has re-filed the nakago, but the shape of the nakago looks legit (as oposed to most Chinese fake nakagos), and fittings got swapped/replaced/ugraded by the Japanese owners and post-war owners alike.

If I was selling this, I'd simply point out these issues, in full disclosure, and let the buyer make his own decision.
"If you are not a collector of these, then, honestly, we're not interested in hearing your non-expert opinion. It would be like me jumping in on a Chevy Corvette forum (about which I know nothing) and blathering about this and that on Corvettes." BruceP, GBF, 3/6/2018. If this is how you feel, then why are you commenting here?

I guess I need to clarify that I never said that this sword was a fake, simply that it looked like, or resembled, some of the fakes currently being sold on eBay. Most of the earlier ones had similar flamboyant hamon just like this one, and all had better nakago, but still looked like something was wrong with it. I also never suggested that Nick thought it was a fake, only that he commented that the nakago appeared to have been messed with. EIther way, it's unpapered, mumei, has flaws, and looks like someone messed with it in one way or another. Really, all the swords you posted recently all look messed with.

[QUOTE=Please may we have a link to Sword’s like this one for sale on ebay[/QUOTE]

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...12#entry261026 There's a couple of others selling similar swords using different names.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
BobI
Forum Sponsor

These Chinese blades are interesting in the link you provided. I have seen similar blades in person and they were pretty good. The one I saw was a naginata-naioshi in military fittings, it was glued into the tsuka and no way to see the tang, I know why now!

Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #19
BruceP
Association Member

Quote:
"If you are not a collector of these, then, honestly, we're not interested in hearing your non-expert opinion. It would be like me jumping in on a Chevy Corvette forum (about which I know nothing) and blathering about this and that on Corvettes." BruceP, GBF, 3/6/2018. If this is how you feel, then why are you commenting here?

I guess I need to clarify that I never said that this sword was a fake, simply that it looked like, or resembled, some of the fakes currently being sold on eBay. Most of the earlier ones had similar flamboyant hamon just like this one, and all had better nakago, but still looked like something was wrong with it. I also never suggested that Nick thought it was a fake, only that he commented that the nakago appeared to have been messed with. EIther way, it's unpapered, mumei, has flaws, and looks like someone messed with it in one way or another. Really, all the swords you posted recently all look messed with.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic...12#entry261026 There's a couple of others selling similar swords using different names.
Thanks for clearing that up Reeder. I see the difference, now!

At the risk of getting off topic, I'll simply say that I enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and truth. I enjoy WWII gunto, so naturally, I enjoy these forums! Whether you (not sure who the "we" are that you refer to. I'm pretty sure you're speaking for yourself, not everyone else), are interested in my opinions or not is totally up to you my freind. I simply enjoy the conversatons about very intertersting things! Sometimes my under-educated questions or thoughts prompts someone, who really knows, to chime in and add clarity to the matter. But, we are getting off topic.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
BobI
Forum Sponsor

I used to be a collector/researcher of Nihon-to. All real collectors will understand this, I am now a accumulator, I just don't have the time to research anymore or only do when I need to research a specific piece. I see this as "stuff" and is meant for fun and relaxation, still mad I did not make the SF show this year. Anyway, BruceP and GHP have been wonderful people willing to help everyone.
Anyway, just wanted to say that. Anyone heard from Bob Coleman, have not seen him on here in a bit, I hope he is well!
Bob

Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #21
reeder3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post

At the risk of getting off topic, I'll simply say that I enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and truth. I enjoy WWII gunto, so naturally, I enjoy these forums! Whether you (not sure who the "we" are that you refer to. I'm pretty sure you're speaking for yourself, not everyone else), are interested in my opinions or not is totally up to you my freind. I simply enjoy the conversatons about very intertersting things! Sometimes my under-educated questions or thoughts prompts someone, who really knows, to chime in and add clarity to the matter. But, we are getting off topic.
You do realize those are your words from one of your prior posts right? Hence the quotation marks and citation. I guess it was a bit of a cheap shot really.

I’ve always commended your efforts and enthusiasm. And I will continue to try redirect that enthusiasm towards a deeper dive into nihonto vs Arsenal stamps and emergency island swords. But I suppose we study and research what we love, not what someone else loves.

Last edited by reeder3; 09-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
BruceP
Association Member

Quote:
You do realize those are your words from one of your prior posts right? Hence the quotation marks and citation. I guess it was a bit of a cheap shot really.

How rude of you to quote me being rude! Ha!

I’ll shut up, and sit down now.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #23
Franco
Association Member

Do the Chinese fakes have a hada? Its something that never seems to be mentioned.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
BobI
Forum Sponsor

I spoke to quick when I considered the though this was a Chinese fake, it is not. And yes, some of the high quality Chinese swords are pretty impressive!
This sword has issues and some sort-of serious. For example, look at the pitting in the tempered portion of the blade, that is not something I would be happy with and seriously hurts the value of this sword. With the market the way it is these days you can buy a really nice sword for considerably less then the asking price on this one.
Bob

Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #25
Sengoku

Interesting Hamon. I would suggest putting it on http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/. It reminds me of a particular school, but I am not going to stick my neck out..... Though a previous false attribution would explain the Nakago being altered, as that was the standard way of dealing with false Mei. (Gimei)

Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #26
BobI
Forum Sponsor

It is a really cool hamon but, cutting the nakago was not a really good way to remove a signature. Signatures can be removed, especially if they used a chisel with a rounded head that did not remove metal. Shortening it I think had to do more with regulations for different times.
The pitting in the hamon is a serious flaw, not as bad as a hagiri but still bad and can not be repaired by an experienced polisher.