wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
Bern

Some great shots Willi, thanks for showing what their collection used to be like.
I visited the APG in 2010, but unfortunately a lot of those machines were no longer there.
Regards
Bern

Old 01-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
Geoff Walden

Thanks for the pics, Willi - they remind me strongly of my own taken the next year. I was a teenager and this was my first visit to a large armor collection. My brother and I were quite offended at the signs directing us not to climb on the vehicles, which we promptly ignored.
Later we both went into the US Army and climbed on all the tanks we wanted!

nice souvenirs
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
pauke
Association Member

Default nice souvenirs

I made a few photos of the collection in the late 60's. Perhaps this thread should lead to a "where are they now" and "what do they look like today" development.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #19
Tim Curley
Association Member

My Father was a U.S. Army Ordnance Officer in WWII, retiring in 1962.

While he was serving at the Army Ordnance School at APG in the middle 1950s, the Revell Model Company spent a few days photographing, measuring, and sketching an M4 Sherman on site. Sometime later, when the M4 model was actually produced, Revell sent some examples to the Ordnance School as a thank you for their cooperation.

My Dad gave an unbuilt model to me. At age 11 I put together my first model, the M4, using 5 times as much glue as was necessary. But I enjoyed the experience that launched me into model building.

If I remember correctly, the APG vehicle/artillery collection was moved outside during the Vietnam War to free up buildings for other requirements. It is a shame that they sat outside all those years.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
Waldmurmeltier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSS View Post
I used to visit the Aberdeen Proving Grounds around this time as well and thought it was obscene that the U.S. Army took these unique treasures which had been originally stored safely in structures and placed them out in open fields at the mercy of the elements. These vehicles, virtually the finest examples of nearly every German armored vehicle to survive the war in their original paint and markings were allowed to be ruined by exposure to the weather; an incredibly stupid policy.
Me and my Australian brother in law made the trip down there as well. German tanks were deplorable as you said due to the exposure to the elements, open hatches and lots of rust. Funny that the US armor looked well cared for.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #21
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

This is how German armour should look. Munster in 1987. Might have to head back after a Kassel Show sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180102_220028597.jpg (82.8 KB, 606 views)

Preußens Gloria!

"To be is to do."
- Immanuel Kant

Old 01-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #22
wehl

superb photos ,abaut display russian kubinka museum has them all inside !

Old 01-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #23
101combatvet

Well, it cost money and where is it going to come from now after more critical preservations like a Civil Rights, Slave Trade, and two Harriet Tubman museums have been paid for and delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSS View Post
I used to visit the Aberdeen Proving Grounds around this time as well and thought it was obscene that the U.S. Army took these unique treasures which had been originally stored safely in structures and placed them out in open fields at the mercy of the elements. These vehicles, virtually the finest examples of nearly every German armored vehicle to survive the war in their original paint and markings were allowed to be ruined by exposure to the weather; an incredibly stupid policy.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #24
kammo man

W
Good framing the shots.
o

Old 01-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #25
hoover

The Munster Tiger II is a wreck, only painted new outside. But the Museum doesn´t have any money for a complete restauration. Also a few of the outer wheels are missing. The Jagdpanzer 38 is a Swiss G13. But nicely altered.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #26
Lloyds
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover View Post
The Munster Tiger II is a wreck, only painted new outside. But the Museum doesn´t have any money for a complete restauration. Also a few of the outer wheels are missing. The Jagdpanzer 38 is a Swiss G13. But nicely altered.
The Tiger II isnt that bad i think it has all its road wheels a bit scruffy inside but far from being a wreak

Old 01-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #27
zundappuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Z. View Post
This is how German armour should look. Munster in 1987. Might have to head back after a Kassel Show sometime.
What show in Kassel would that be?

David

Old 01-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #28
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

David, the Waffenbörse Kassel, which is usually the last week of November into December.

Preußens Gloria!

"To be is to do."
- Immanuel Kant

Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #29
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Walden View Post
Thanks for the pics, Willi - they remind me strongly of my own taken the next year. I was a teenager and this was my first visit to a large armor collection. My brother and I were quite offended at the signs directing us not to climb on the vehicles, which we promptly ignored.
Later we both went into the US Army and climbed on all the tanks we wanted!
Geoff, I too used to climb all over them each time I visited. I guess the first time I didn't was on a Rutger's Army ROTC field trip 8 or 9 years later. I was AFROTC. I was torn between the 2 programs. Was offered a slot at IOBC at Benning while active USAF, and really enjoyed the Mechanized FTX!

Preußens Gloria!

"To be is to do."
- Immanuel Kant

Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #30
tintin44

Superb photos !!