wehrmacht awards


Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum

Daggers and Edged Weapons Forum This is the corner of the site where you can talk about daggers, bayonets, swords and knifes of the Wehrmacht and related organizations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #16
Mac 66
Member
 
Mac 66's Avatar
 
Mac 66 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,977
Default

Origional factory white grips turned various shades of orange & red with time ?

why are there still white grips the have not changed colour & still white ?

any evidence of this colour change claim apart from a photo ?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Bulldog
Member
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Bulldog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac 66 View Post
Origional factory white grips turned various shades of orange & red with time ?

Shown by grips with different shades of colour from having one side faced down for a long period of time and also where a portapee has been for a long time.

why are there still white grips the have not changed colour & still white ?

Plaster filled celuloid wrapped which remains white/cream and artificial ivory.

any evidence of this colour change claim apart from a photo ?
Evidence explained in my first answer.

Russ.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Mac 66
Member
 
Mac 66's Avatar
 
Mac 66 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Evidence explained in my first answer.

Russ.
Ok so the white grips tthat have not turned orange ect are not made from Trolon but instead made from plaster which does not change colour with UV light ?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #19
Bulldog
Member
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Bulldog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac 66 View Post
Ok so the white grips tthat have not turned orange ect are not made from Trolon but instead made from plaster which does not change colour with UV light ?
It appears so, this is also seen with all navy dagger grips, the solid Trolon ones are now colored and the wooden core celluloid wrapped ones have remained white/cream. Plaster army grips are plaster filled with a celluloid wrap like the wooden cored navy grips.

Russ.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #20
Mac 66
Member
 
Mac 66's Avatar
 
Mac 66 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
It appears so, this is also seen with all navy dagger grips, the solid Trolon ones are now colored and the wooden core celluloid wrapped ones have remained white/cream. Plaster army grips are plaster filled with a celluloid wrap like the wooden cored navy grips.

Russ.


Thanks Russ
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #21
Mac 66
Member
 
Mac 66's Avatar
 
Mac 66 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,977
Default

Here, what about the orange glass grips, i suppose they were white as well to start with then turned orange ?, or is this talk of changing colour a lot of bull ?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #22
Bulldog
Member
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Bulldog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac 66 View Post
Here, what about the orange glass grips, i suppose they were white as well to start with then turned orange ?, or is this talk of changing colour a lot of bull ?
Not very often seen (compared to others) artificial amber as far as i know. It might be bull but until someone comes up with another answer observations are all we have to go on.

Russ
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #23
stratocaster3
Association Member
 
stratocaster3's Avatar
 
stratocaster3 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac 66 View Post
Here, what about the orange glass grips, i suppose they were white as well to start with then turned orange ?, or is this talk of changing colour a lot of bull ?
I don’t subscribe to the all white theory without further evidence. We must include Luft and Navy grips in making our observations as the same materials were used. Yes there is darkening of colors with the degree depending on the chemical stability of the base material and environmental conditions it saw in its life. I received an orange gripped KM dagger with a large chip (down to the blade tang) in the grip which occurred in shipping and the material was the same color throughout with the exception of a very thin rind I would guess only a few microns in thickness, at the surface that was slightly darker. Some white grips never changed color because the base material was not the same as the colored grips but was casein plastic. The glass grips of course aren't really glass but some other form of “resin” that is harder and more prone to chipping. We see a spectrum of colors ranging from lemon yellow to reddish brown. However, has anyone seen a grip color between white and yellow that is the same material?

Last edited by stratocaster3; 01-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #24
Bulldog
Member
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Bulldog is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster3 View Post
However, has anyone seen a grip color between white and yellow that is the same material?
I have seen very pale yellow grips, perhaps too much time has passed for any white-yellow ones to still remain. If only this most basic of questions had been asked decades ago to the factory owners or workers when they were still around.

Russ.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #25
spacey
Expelled
 
spacey is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I have seen very pale yellow grips, perhaps too much time has passed for any white-yellow ones to still remain. If only this most basic of questions had been asked decades ago to the factory owners or workers when they were still around.

Russ.
All interesting replies.
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 AM   #26
GaryMJ
Association Member
 
GaryMJ's Avatar
 
GaryMJ is offline
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Africa
Posts: 619
Default

I believe the only true white grips are the Galalith, Ivory and Celluloid over wood/plaster. As mentioned previously, I also have Heer, Luft & Kriegs daggers with dark orange on the obverse and dark yellow on the reverse which were probably hung in a pub during their lives...

A fiend of mine who specialises in Heer daggers took a broken Trolon grip which was dark orange and broke it open to reveal the white Trolon base material. He left a broken piece in the sun and with a couple of months had also started to darken.

There may be some truth to the white grip theory with the exception of amber/glass grips which I'm certain must have been yellow or orange from the outset.

Red
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grips-Toned.jpg (36.0 KB, 30 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #27
Mac 66
Member
 
Mac 66's Avatar
 
Mac 66 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,977
Default

Thanks Red for this valuable info & pix

good to see the broken Trolon orange grip is white inside !!



Regards Mac 66.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #28
spacey
Expelled
 
spacey is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMJ View Post
I believe the only true white grips are the Galalith, Ivory and Celluloid over wood/plaster. As mentioned previously, I also have Heer, Luft & Kriegs daggers with dark orange on the obverse and dark yellow on the reverse which were probably hung in a pub during their lives...

A fiend of mine who specialises in Heer daggers took a broken Trolon grip which was dark orange and broke it open to reveal the white Trolon base material. He left a broken piece in the sun and with a couple of months had also started to darken.

There may be some truth to the white grip theory with the exception of amber/glass grips which I'm certain must have been yellow or orange from the outset.

Red

Now we're getting somewhere.

Great responses everyone!

This is why I come to W-A.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump






vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Wehrmacht-Awards.com