wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Book Review and Media

Book Review and Media All books, TV and movies belong here.

re: omissions in the Beaver/Bando book
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #46
M Bando

Default re: omissions in the Beaver/Bando book

No single reference book on SS collectibles has ever been done, or ever WILL be done, which includes ALL categories of SS material between a single set of covers.
That is exactly why it is unfair to condemn my work on the grounds of being incomplete, rather than appreciating all the superior aspects of what it offers, like the large, detailed color images of insignia, and the uniquely documented veteran provenance and history of so many of the items illustrated in it. Most collector references on TR collectibles, across the board, are 'eye candy', but lacking the detailed historical aspects, which make my book unique. I own many other collecting books and after perusing them a few times, they go on the shelf, only to be referred to on rare occasions, over the decades. My book is not like that.
My gripe since 2012, is that more collectors want to condemn it for what is missing, than to acknowledge it for what is IS, and the ways in which it has surpassed previous efforts. Compare the visual presentation to the Angolia book, with its black and white format of small drawings and photos. No Comparison.

BTW, the invitation for me to moderate the SS collectors' forum on German Daggers.com came several years 'before' my SS Insignia book was published.
I can tell you for a fact, that as a moderator of that (or this) forum, if anybody produced a book comparable to mine, I would have done 'something' to announce it and at least 'acknowledge' it, to SS collectors on that forum. Instead, my book has been pointedly ignored, by those who run the WAF forum. This is simply a fact, which is unfathomable to me. (I'm not talking about the mixed comments of readers and reviewers, which is in a different category).

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #47
jacquesf
Association Member

This thread is a very clever piece of marketing, and creating publicity for and awareness of this book. J

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #48
macleod
Association Member

Dear Mark,

you are obviously very passionate about your work. This is admirable, for without that passion, books on subjects of relatively narrow interest (to the outside world) such as W-SS insignia would never get published. As collectors, we are very grateful for your efforts. And clearly, many members here have bought your book and are very happy with it, myself included. It is a great reference. And personally, I like the anecdotal sections...
However, if you persist with what appears to be an unwise rant, you are going to damage your reputation. Please desist...
With that, I'm looking forward to your next project!

respectfully

macleod

Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #49
Jeff V

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bando View Post
No single reference book on SS collectibles has ever been done, or ever WILL be done, which includes ALL categories of SS material between a single set of covers.
That is exactly why it is unfair to condemn my work on the grounds of being incomplete, rather than appreciating all the superior aspects of what it offers, like the large, detailed color images of insignia, and the uniquely documented veteran provenance and history of so many of the items illustrated in it. Most collector references on TR collectibles, across the board, are 'eye candy', but lacking the detailed historical aspects, which make my book unique. I own many other collecting books and after perusing them a few times, they go on the shelf, only to be referred to on rare occasions, over the decades. My book is not like that.
My gripe since 2012, is that more collectors want to condemn it for what is missing, than to acknowledge it for what is IS, and the ways in which it has surpassed previous efforts. Compare the visual presentation to the Angolia book, with its black and white format of small drawings and photos. No Comparison.

BTW, the invitation for me to moderate the SS collectors' forum on German Daggers.com came several years 'before' my SS Insignia book was published.
I can tell you for a fact, that as a moderator of that (or this) forum, if anybody produced a book comparable to mine, I would have done 'something' to announce it and at least 'acknowledge' it, to SS collectors on that forum. Instead, my book has been pointedly ignored, by those who run the WAF forum. This is simply a fact, which is unfathomable to me. (I'm not talking about the mixed comments of readers and reviewers, which is in a different category).
You seem to have an exaggerated sense of your own importance. Do you really think there is some conspiracy by the moderators to not push book sales for you? I have owned your book for years and enjoyed it but it never crossed my mind that this book was so amazing that I should start a thread about it and push sales for you.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #50
Michael Miller
Association Member

It's the responsibility of the writer, not forum moderators or anyone else, to promote his work. And there is a right and a wrong way to go about that.
I was first published (by Bender) in 2007, and five times since. Little if any inclination seen by forum moderators to trumpet the glories of my work. And that's fine by me. I'm happy to let it stand on its own merits (or fall on its own faults, if that's ever the case). And happier still to do the work, because if one does not enjoy it, there's no point (and no financial reward or broad popular acclaim for most of us who choose the Third Reich for a genre).

~ Mike

Last edited by Michael Miller; 01-11-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #51
Seigfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Scapini View Post
Maybe I miss something, but I have a question: is this thread about a self-celebration or what?
Talk about blowing your own trumpet! This is a blatant sales pitch.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #52
chen
Association Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesf View Post
This thread is a very clever piece of marketing, and creating publicity for and awareness of this book. J
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20180109-WA0005.jpg (31.9 KB, 586 views)

Old 01-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #53
eubank

I bought Mark's book years ago, very much enjoyed it, and still do. An excellent and engaging piece of research. Have just read Steven M Hewitt's wacky review and to any sensible collector/historian it is utter codswallop, and the bloke has missed the premise of the book completely ( and must be a tightwad to boot). I think militaria collectors are missing the point if they seem indifferent to the actual history of the pieces themselves, and the circumstances in which they were " liberated".

Mark, there is absolutely no need for you to stoop to his level, and it would be a real shame if others were put off your work by this thread.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #54
Marcel Banziger

I have the book as well and like it (though I'm not an SS collector).
What I don't like at all is the childish behaviour of the author shown here in this thread. It ALWAYS harms when you try to portray yourself as being more important than you actually are.
Yes, it is a very good book and be proud of what you achieved but quit the nonsense. Your behaviour here surely doesn't do you good.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #55
John P. Moore

Mark - I am surprised by your reaction to the critics of your book. When was the last time that you heard of a politician with 100% approval ratings? Accordingly, authors should not expect 100% approval ratings either. Be thankful for your book sales and the positive comments that you receive from readers as well as constructive criticism. I have all three of Mike Beaver's books as well as the Angolia book on cloth insignia. Those were enough for me.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #56
Dietrich Maerz
Forums Moderator

“Praise is the absence of critiscism”
(Old German saying)

There has been a recent spike in sales
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #57
M Bando

Default There has been a recent spike in sales

...possibly attributable to the remarks posted here in recent weeks.
If you are thinking of adding this book to your library, perhaps you
should act soon; only about 70 copies remain. After that, it will be
'out of print' until/unless a publisher decides to create a reprint. Used
copies will almost certainly sell for more than the current price of $80-.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #58
90th Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bando View Post
...possibly attributable to the remarks posted here in recent weeks.
If you are thinking of adding this book to your library, perhaps you
should act soon; only about 70 copies remain. After that, it will be
'out of print' until/unless a publisher decides to create a reprint. Used
copies will almost certainly sell for more than the current price of $80-.
Just goes to prove,

"no publicity is bad publicity"

It is a book and reference well worth having

Chris

Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #59
gj dettore

In case anyone is interested, I will be selling my book, "Screaming Eagle Gliders" and will have Bando's ss book at the SoS for sale. Table will be in the author's area near the veterans. gjd.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #60
CPB
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj dettore View Post
In case anyone is interested, I will be selling my book, "Screaming Eagle Gliders" and will have Bando's ss book at the SoS for sale. Table will be in the author's area near the veterans. gjd.
Thanks Gary, I heard your book is excellent.