wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum

Order of Battle and Individual Research Forum Order of battle, unit history, personality research.

Italy - Futa Pass Defense Line 1944
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 AM   #1
Jürg
Association Member

Default Italy - Futa Pass Defense Line 1944

Hi all,

Has any of my forum colleagues information, what units manned the Panther turret position in Santa Lucia/Futa Pass- Highway 65 (now SR65) as well as the Pak/Artillery bunker in Panna just near Santa Lucia? it could be Festungs-Kompanie 2 but I am not sure. Futa Pass was attacked by the US The 362nd Infantry Regiment Sept 10 to Sept 21, 1944.

Any help is appreciated,

Regards

Juerg

Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Luft 76

Ask to member Mufasa. He knows certainly.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
mufasa
Association Member

I have many of material, photos and news about the Pantherturm, but only of the Gothic Line around Rimini, but here we on the SS 65 between Bologna and Florence and who can give you best help is my my friends Ironcrowm (I remember oin ne of our recent conversations, precisely on his research on the units of this Pantherturm)

sure you already know these photos of Bundesarchiv from the SS 65 Pantherturm

Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 AM   #4
mufasa
Association Member

I'll pass some data in the meantime

On the Italian front, there would be 18 turrets at the end of 1943, and another 26 in 1944.

those used for fortifications on the Gothic line were mounted between Pesaro and Rimini to the south, and on the strategic Futa Pass (the main road between Florence and Bologna)

At the beginning the crews were mixed (artillerymen and soldiers of the fortifications) and this can explain the little resistance of some Pantherturm, while those later guarded by more motivated soldiers (for example that of Tavullia in Pesaro, or those of the airport or San Giuliano in Rimini, taken by the paratroopers) caused many losses to the British tankers.

the Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1 (29.4.1944 bei H.Gr. C aufgestellt und etatisiert) was located between Rimini and Pesaro

while the Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 2 (30.7.1944 bei H.Gr. C aufgestellt und etatisiert) was located between Porretta and Passo della Futa (south of Bologna)

both from autumn 1944, when the front was stabilized south of Bologna, they change (if I understand) they change identification (and troop composition: more anti-tank soldiers, and less "festungs" man)

Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1209 (Aufstellung gefordert durch Org.Abt. Am 19.11.1944 mit v.b. zum 31.12.1944)
and
Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1210 (Aufstellung gefordert durch Org.Abt. Am 19.11.1944 mit v.b. zum 31.12.1944)

Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #5
mufasa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürg View Post
Hi all,

Has any of my forum colleagues information, what units manned the Panther turret position in Santa Lucia/Futa Pass- Highway 65 (now SR65) as well as the Pak/Artillery bunker in Panna just near Santa Lucia? it could be Festungs-Kompanie 2 but I am not sure. Futa Pass was attacked by the US The 362nd Infantry Regiment Sept 10 to Sept 21, 1944.

Any help is appreciated,

Regards

Juerg
always waiting for confirmation of Ironcrown (who lives nearby)

I think this is the posizions:

GPS: 44° 03' 44''N,11°17'32''E 653 asl

from this site:

https://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.c...-then-and-now/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb467429c33a3f46822e5d717477fd26.jpg (228.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Cattura.jpg (96.6 KB, 59 views)

Thanks
Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Jürg
Association Member

Default Thanks

Hi Mufasa
I am the owner of stand where they fought Website and was at the exactly Location 3 Times. I also Know Ironcrown personally, however WE both Do Not Know what Unit was in the Panna Gun Bunker.
Thanks anyway For your Info.
I Go back to Futa Pass in April

Juerg

Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
mufasa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürg View Post
Hi Mufasa
I am the owner of stand where they fought Website and was at the exactly Location 3 Times. I also Know Ironcrown personally, however WE both Do Not Know what Unit was in the Panna Gun Bunker.
Thanks anyway For your Info.
I Go back to Futa Pass in April

Juerg
then you are already in excellent hands!! :