wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

King Tiger Track Links
Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
Peter Wiking
Association Member

Default King Tiger Track Links

Members or visitors of this forum, who in their collections have track links for the Panzer VI b (King Tiger), could you kindly meassure the height of both guide horns in millimeters. I am trying to solve an enigma that troubles me.

Peter

Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
steverobertsbbc

95mm from the base line of the link to the highest point on the horn. Both identical height. This is the two-piece link Gg26/800/300 with solid interconnect link for use with the 9-tooth drive sprocket.

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-12-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
steverobertsbbc

What's worrying you, Peter?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Peter Wiking
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
What's worrying you, Peter?
I am under the impression that there were two types of links. One had identical height of the guide horns. On the other type the inner horn was shorter so it could pass free over the drive sprocket. I have seen this on a "frensh" technical drawing and I think I can see that in photos as well.

Peter

Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
steverobertsbbc

Well, there were definitely three types of cross-country link through the life of the Tiger II, plus the transport track.

Gg24/800/300 - five-part track link consisting of ground contact tread, small solid interlink, three small tie-bar links. For use with 18 tooth sprocket.

Gg26/800/300 - two part link consisting of ground contact tread and large solid interlink. For use with 9 tooth sprocket.

Kgs73/800/152 - single-part link. For use with 18 tooth sprocket.

I've never seen one with unequal height horns.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
steverobertsbbc

I did just find this though...

http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/28546/flat

Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
steverobertsbbc

Actually Peter, I've gone down and had a proper measure and the inner one is indeed slightly smaller, although it's quite subtle.

From the tip of the outer guide horn to the centre of the track pin hole is 123mm. On the inner horn, the distance is 117mm.

The shape of the squareish notch cast into the side of the two horns is visibly different too, which can be seen in photos from the time.

Edited to add: I also notice that my outer horn tips are more worn than my inners. If I measure from the centre of the notch in the horn instead, I get a difference in height of 10mm rather than 6mm measuring to the tips.

So yes, I would agree that the inner is definitely shorter - probably more so on a new link than can be seen in my ground-dug battlefield relics. Good info, you learn something new every day!

Last edited by steverobertsbbc; 01-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Peter Wiking
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Actually Peter, I've gone down and had a proper measure and the inner one is indeed slightly smaller, although it's quite subtle.

From the tip of the outer guide horn to the centre of the track pin hole is 123mm. On the inner horn, the distance is 117mm.

The shape of the squareish notch cast into the side of the two horns is visibly different too, which can be seen in photos from the time.

Edited to add: I also notice that my outer horn tips are more worn than my inners. If I measure from the centre of the notch in the horn instead, I get a difference in height of 10mm rather than 6mm measuring to the tips.

So yes, I would agree that the inner is definitely shorter - probably more so on a new link than can be seen in my ground-dug battlefield relics. Good info, you learn something new every day!
Thank you for doing this for me. It confirms my own findings. Are there any more owners of King Tiger tracks that could carefully measure the height in millimeters. Both inner and outer guide horns.

Peter

Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
kastensfh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiking View Post
Thank you for doing this for me. It confirms my own findings. Are there any more owners of King Tiger tracks that could carefully measure the height in millimeters. Both inner and outer guide horns.

Peter
Thank you for pointing that difference ! I have 2 track links and teeths both have a difference in height. Well my measures are not careful but it gives some 97mm and 90mm...

Eric

Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Peter Wiking
Association Member

Thank you Eric for the measurements and confirmation.

Peter