wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #31
Greg
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Walden View Post
Thanks for the pics, Willi - they remind me strongly of my own taken the next year. I was a teenager and this was my first visit to a large armor collection. My brother and I were quite offended at the signs directing us not to climb on the vehicles, which we promptly ignored.
Later we both went into the US Army and climbed on all the tanks we wanted!
During that trip; ah, to be that skinny again!

It was unfortunate that the vehicles and equipment outside at APG were steadily deteriorating (though they did get a superficial coat of paint at times), but there was something to be said for being able to get to them close up. So many now are unaccessible to the general public (like the ones now stored at Ft Benning), and will probably remain so for a long time.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3321972leftGreg.jpg (24.0 KB, 559 views)

Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #32
DonC
Association Member

Where is that Tiger I now? When I visited in the mid 1990's it was already gone.

Don

Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #33
tony james

I think its in pieces at Ft. benning .

Old 01-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #34
grndevil44
Association Member

nice photo's Willi

the closest I got to Aberdeen was from books sadly

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
djpool
Association Member

I went to school at Aberdeen in 1980? What a wonderful display of armored vehicles. Unfortunately the military museum's have always been underfunded. I believe most vehicles and equipment are still stored outside. At least that's the case at Ft Sill. I heard that some of the vehicles were turned to scrap for steel during the Korean War.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
MikeP
Association Member

I was 1st there in 70. Several times again over the years. Always some changes.

It was interesting to see all the stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web 8 rad.jpg (82.7 KB, 397 views)

Old 01-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #37
billbert
Association Member

First visited late 60s...worked there for a few months in 70son a hush hush remote location ..a club I belonged to visited THE ARMS ROOM as guests of curator Dr Atwater around 2000 ...about a year before closure visited the Restoration area..wandered into a dusty musty storage area.. poorly stored helmets on shelf..FJ helmet ..single decal WH M40 helmet...NAMED to general..Ferdinand Neuling..commander of LX11 Korps captured US Army during Southern France Invasions..OMG !!!!! If I ever wanted to be a criminal..Billbert

Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #38
eldenwaff

Holy moly, rail gun still exist ?"

Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #39
BB75

"... rail gun still exist ?"

Yes, it (the rail gun) does exist.

Anzio Annie is at Ft. Lee, Virginia, along with the Elephant/Ferdinand and other vehicles and ordnance from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. At least it was/they were a few years ago when I trekked down there. Like others, I went to APG in the 1970s as a teenager and visited it when there was no museum building, then visited when the museum building had just opened and it was like grandpa's attic with glass cases of FG-42s, MP-44s, a full scale, real-to-life Schwimmwagen/Ardennes Offensive diorama with a mannequin dressed as von Manteuffel, water cooled MGs one could handle, N*zi war art hanging on the walls, etc. Then much later, in the 21st century, I returned and the museum had lost its luster and had been "sanitized" much like the old Navy Yard Museum in Washington, DC had been tidied up. No more war art on the walls and many of the vehicles gone, dispersed to who-knows-where. Two springs ago I went to the military vehicle show at Aberdeen/"Cal Ripken Baseball Complex" and one of the gents there said there was nothing left at APG. I did not drive across I-95 to check it out. Maybe others have been there recently? It really was something for tank buffs, not just the huge field with artillery, tanks, armored cars, but also other roads all over the base with U.S. tanks in dark green paint from 1920 to what was then modern times.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #40
g43cart

Great pics guys of APG.I was stationed there the summer of 1971 while I was in the army before I got sent overseas.On my time off on weekends I would go and look around at the tanks & other stuff that was on display there.The pics sure bring back some old times.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #41
jack944
Association Member

Default Thanks

I visited there with my dad in the 70's and took almost the same pictures. I need to dig them out. Like you this kick started my interest. It was great to climb on a king tiger. I remember some of the front armor plate had scoops of armor missing Where shells had hit and bounced off.

Aberdeen
Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #42
TK GUY
Association Member

Default Aberdeen

Hi,

Willi Z great pictures! I appreciate your posting the old photos. It is a shame these AFVs, etc. are not on public display at this time. Does anyone know where the Jagdpanther in picture #4 is currently? Any information on where it was captured/unit it was from? I did not know one of those was in the U.S.

BB75 - the Elephant/Ferdinand, featured in picture 3, has been fixed up and is on temporary loan from Ft. Lee Virginia to the Bovington Tank Museum in the UK , for their special Tiger exhibit. I was able to see it in June of 2017. I am 6'6", so you can see the hull is quite tall. (Must have been fairly easy to spot on the horizon on the plains at Kursk.) Here is a close up of where it was hit on the gun mantle and body. Captured in Italy.

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferdinand Elephant small.jpg (104.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Ferdy hit marks small.jpg (225.5 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by TK GUY; 01-25-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #43
Willi Z.

This has been a fun trip down memory lane. Thanks for all the contributions.

I was sorting through boxes of old photos, and had a good time looking at them. Have more on armor in museums at Ft Knox, Imperial War Museum, Duxford, Bovington, Münster, etc, etc. Museums were always high on my priority lists, and they still are. Lots of fond memories of seeing many with my Father.

Preußens Gloria!

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." - Immanuel Kant

Old 01-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #44
Tim Curley
Association Member

Here are some photos I took of a Jagdtiger at APG back in the 1970s.

You can clearly see the huge gouge in the gun mantlet and a number of shell gouges in the frontal plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg JagdPzA.jpeg (149.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpeg JagdPzB.jpeg (131.6 KB, 207 views)

Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #45
Tim Curley
Association Member

Additional photos of the APG jagdtiger.

You can see closeups of 3 shell gouges in the frontal armor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg JagdPzC.jpeg (124.5 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpeg JagdPzD.jpeg (114.5 KB, 209 views)