wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #151
Alex1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann mor View Post
Alex,

Looking at your interior picture, where are your steering brakes?

Jon,

This is an early photo. Look for turns, brakes.
Uncomfortable that I clutter up your thread..

Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #152
Alex1967

Quote:
Alex,

Looking at your interior picture, where are your steering brakes?

Brakes inside leading stars. A standard disk, from a passenger car. Controlled by hydraulics. Pictures little. They are uninformative. After Christmas I will be in the hangar, photographed read mor

Old 01-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #153
Satcong101

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Good questions, I should have taken some pictures of the process, maybe I will in future. It was a very Neanderthal process. The sheet was tack welded on the base of the hull then I welded three long lengths of 2" steel angle on to the other end of the sheet to give me some extra leverage. Using 5 ratchet straps, I pulled the sheet around the curve of the hull and welding it as the two surfaces came in contact with each other. It needed heat as well, just to soften things up.

I have got an engine, not my first choice but I hope that it will do. The original was a six cylinder petrol producing around 140 BHP in a tank weighing 9 tons. I wanted something basic, I don't want computers and spares have to be readily available. The engine that I have is a four cylinder turbo diesel producing approximately 110 BHP in a tank that I estimate will weigh about 5 tons. The engine is shorter than the original and so I am hoping that the engine and gear box, a 5 forward 1 reverse box, will fit in to the engine bay. The original had a remote gearbox and clutch which would be a real headache. If my cunning plan works out, life will be a lot simpler, if it doesn't, then its plan B. Then of course I will have a large space at the front of the hull where the gear box should be, I am going to make a false gear box which will be empty apart from a reduction unit and the differential. Its not going to be easy and I am working on the details but I am confident. With some luck and a good wind, I should get the rest of the strengthening ribs and bearing houses in over the next week and then I can test fit the engine/gearbox.

But first I need to get over the dreaded Man Flu.

Jon
Hi Jonathan, firstly let me congratulate you on your current projects progress, absolutely stunning work so far, loving this thread and following your exploits. I remember you bringing your Kubelwagen to the Victory Show.

About to embark on a similar project myself (already built a Sd.Kfz.222) and I was playing around with ideas for the drive and transmission on these sorts of small tracked vehicles knowing that the usual donor parts from FV432's etc wouldn't really fit in these smaller vehicles where space is very tight.

I too have considered track braking with a differential unit....but another idea is using hydraulic motors from say a mini digger etc, granted your top speed wouldn't be much but it would be a very compact solution and parts easy to obtain.........I've also noticed certain older models of farm tractors use final drives in there arrangement with some actually being capable of individual wheel braking, you can practically drop the drive chain straight in with some of those and being a tractor is would easily cope with the loads expected.

Best wishes Simon Garner.

panzer 111
Old 01-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #154
TONY GANZ
Association Member

Default panzer 111

One word. "unbelievable" Your skill, patience and attention to detail are the best.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #155
johann mor
Association Member

Thanks Tony

Simon,

Sorry, I Must know you but I am c*ap at remembering names, faces are a different matter, but hello anyway. I have thought of the hydraulic route but I am loath to use it. The hydraulic units would have to from a high speed dumper and they are expensive, I know because I had to buy one. The easiest option is the braked diff but as Alex points out, this is not the most ideal option. I have been offered a steering mechanism from a similar sized JCB crawler, which could be ideal. I suppose the question really should be, what am I going to use the vehicle for. If I am going to invade Poland in September, then I need at least a unit with a brake clutch differential, however if I am going to use it for the odd re-enactment and for running at home, then possibly it would be best to keep it simple with a braked diff.

I didn't get a lot done over Christmas but I did manage to spend a few hours down the workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04539.jpg (104.4 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04541.jpg (122.7 KB, 517 views)

Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #156
johann mor
Association Member

and 2 more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04545.jpg (117.5 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04546.jpg (127.6 KB, 518 views)

Old 01-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #157
airborne_steve
Association Member

Talking

You have been busy!! Looking good.

Collector of DAK Related Uniforms and Equipment

See my collection: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=201191

Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #158
Alex1967

Quote:
Thanks Tony

Simon,

Sorry, I Must know you but I am c*ap at remembering names, faces are a different matter, but hello anyway. I have thought of the hydraulic route but I am loath to use it. The hydraulic units would have to from a high speed dumper and they are expensive, I know because I had to buy one. The easiest option is the braked diff but as Alex points out, this is not the most ideal option. I have been offered a steering mechanism from a similar sized JCB crawler, which could be ideal. I suppose the question really should be, what am I going to use the vehicle for. If I am going to invade Poland in September, then I need at least a unit with a brake clutch differential, however if I am going to use it for the odd re-enactment and for running at home, then possibly it would be best to keep it simple with a braked diff.

I didn't get a lot done over Christmas but I did manage to spend a few hours down the workshop.

Jon,

If you stay on a simple differential with brakes, it is recommended to use gearbox CVT(Continuously Variable Transmission ). It compensates for the strangulation of the engine when taxiing.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #159
Mark Gibson
Association Member

Jon,

I'm glad to get back to this thread and see your incredible progress. I have to say "best thread ever" on WAF as far as I'm concerned. The work that you've done is amazing, particularly since I was initially watching you build a turret but to now see you build a complete tank is unbelievable.
Incredible work.

Mark

Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #160
airborne_steve
Association Member

Question

Jon,

Question, what is the thickness of the steel you are using? 4mm? Steve

Collector of DAK Related Uniforms and Equipment

See my collection: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=201191

Old 01-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #161
johann mor
Association Member

Sorry Steve I hadn't seen your question, generally 6mm.

Jon

update
Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #162
johann mor
Association Member

Default update

Not much going on over the Christmas period but I did manage to give it a coat of red oxide to stop surface rust and I have finished fabricating the 10 suspension arms. Next job is to turn the location arms that locate the suspension arms in to the hull.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04569.jpg (86.1 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04570.jpg (107.8 KB, 372 views)

Old 01-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #163
johann mor
Association Member

Fabricating the suspension arms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04574.jpg (137.7 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04576.jpg (120.0 KB, 370 views)

Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #164
johann mor
Association Member

And my wife demanded a chocolate cake now that chocolate eggs are out for Easter, the dog decided she might like some too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04579.jpg (101.1 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04561.jpg (89.8 KB, 370 views)

Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #165
Arthur Kullmer

I am loving this thread seeing your progress & fantastic workmanship, keep up the good work, its great to see