wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

German uniform ID
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
kevin917z

Default German uniform ID

I have been going through my great grandfathers photos and found pictures of his brothers that served in ww1 german army. I found one I believe is the brother who died in the last battle of Riga who has a marksmanship lanyard? This is the only known picture of him if it is in fact him. If he was pictured later in the war in the new style uniform would he have been wearing the lanyard still? I have seen later war pictures of other people still with the lanyard which is why I believe the other pictures are not him but his brothers. If yes the other pictures of his brothers with no lanyard mean the photo I think is him real is. The brothers at different times in their war photos look very alike.

I am also hoping you can tell me more about my other relatives, my great grandfather is in the 1910 photo in "color" and was a drummer in the K.B. 4th infanterie regiment king Wilhelm von wurttemberg 12th kompanie according to his militarpass book and 4 on his shoulders. I have not seen this script 4 anywhere else to date. This is the only photo we have of him in uniform. He came to the USA shortly later with his bayonet and rifle. He boarded a ship in Antwerp 2 days after the last entry in his militarpass book. He joined October of 1908 and left for America august of 1912

Last picture is my great great grandfather who died in 1898. Photo is in bad shape but would love to know what the uniform indicates he did, I googled a bit and thought he might be in field artillery? All my relatives were in Bavarian units according to all the documentation I have found ( militarpass book, award docs, and military records from Bavarian archives online).

Anything you can tell me greatly appreciated. Much of their records I can't read the kurrent and other scripts of handwritten german.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Grausig13

Your last photo is a much older style of uniform, and also shows the Bavarian helmet which was eventually replaced by the Pickelhaube.

Scans of the paperwork, names, and any other details would help for anyone able to read or interpret what you have.

Regarding the first photo and the brothers, the rank differs from that of the other men, so he is likely not one of the other men later in the war. He is a Gefreiter at least, or a Sergeant, wearing a button on the collar corresponding roughly to where the Frankenstein monster had electrodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin917z View Post
Last picture is my great great grandfather who died in 1898. Photo is in bad shape but would love to know what the uniform indicates he did, I googled a bit and thought he might be in field artillery? All my relatives were in Bavarian units according to all the documentation I have found ( militarpass book, award docs, and military records from Bavarian archives online).

Anything you can tell me greatly appreciated. Much of their records I can't read the kurrent and other scripts of handwritten german.