wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

FU5 project
Old 06-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
BTaylor
Association Member

Default FU5 project

I am currently working with two FU5 sets. Both receivers seem functional as received. In fact I picked up someone transmitting from Alabama (I am in Maryland) on first powering one up!
The 10W Senders c are another matter. Both had been "monkeyed" with, to put it politely. So I have been replacing missing resistors, reconnecting wires, and learning more about these units than I ever intended. Still working on them and so far apparently not transmitting. Swapped out tubes, checking voltages at various points, etc.
Does anyone have a decent copy of the "Montageplan" ? This is illustration 5 in the manual. The version I have is such a low resolution scan that reading the numbers is frustrating even with magnification. It is still a wonderful image to pair with the schematic for understanding the construction. Help?
Also, I have a very close copy of the FU5 side by side mounting frame almost completed. I don't plan on manufacturing any and labor cost would be prohibitive, but could post some info and pictures if there is interest.

B Taylor

Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Yuri D.
Association Member

Welcome to the forum! Nice project - as Panzer radios are my favorite area (among several favorite areas).

Old 06-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Funksammler

Keep us posted on the progress. Reception of long range VHF signals seems to be improving again with summer arriving, I get the odd Italian signal from time to time after the winter time empty static. I guess things would improve with a decent antenna, but I operate them over a 2 m rod antenna as they would have been originally. I will have a look at my copy of the "Montage plan" to see if it is any clearer...

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Dufleuve

Welcome and keep us posted on progress.
I'll have a look too at the 10WSc schematics/montageplan.

Cheers

Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Val

This is better i guess.

http://www.rkk-museum.ru/documents/a...49_2-1939.djvu

Thanks, plus.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
BTaylor
Association Member

Default Thanks, plus.

Many thanks to Val. The "Montageplan" link isn't perfect, but it is detectably better than what I have.
Found what seems, after careful checking, to be a missing connection. Replaced a short length of wire. It was the negative side of one of the 12V tube heaters. That could make a difference.
I can't imagine any reason for modifying these sets. Some of the incorrect wiring and missing resistors seem like they were done by someone who thought they knew what they were doing. As opposed to me, who admittedly has limited understanding of radio basics. It's puzzling.

Slightly off topic - it seems that many headsets and throat mikes are being marketed with defective cords. Of course cloth covered cords abused for years and/or stored in awful conditions are going to fail. But it is frustrating to get a set only suitable for a display case. Especially if priced up there with the functional units.

If someone ever makes realistic replacement cords, like they do for vintage telephones, I am sure many of us have unusable, less than pristine, sets that might be restored to use. It would avoid wear and tear on totally original sets.

BTaylor

Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Yuri D.
Association Member

I've put together an Fu5 before:

http://kriegsfunker.com/restoration/...ther_v/fu5.php

Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #8
Funksammler

Many of the surving sets today were rebuild after the war for use with police, civil defense etc. in Germany and other countries. Add to this the sets used and modified by radio hams and you find a lot of potential for changes and mistakes.

Indeed the Dfh.b's cables are prone to internal breakages, I guess many got snagged when used inside tanks especially if they had to get out in a hurry. This is why you find so many with replaced cables. To the average collector it does not make any difference if things are broken or not, as long as it looks "original". A Dfh.b with a replacement cable is decried as a terrible fake on this forum, while completely useless broken ones are treasured as "untouched originals".

Same goes for radio sets themselves, a restored set in perfect working order does not command any premium over a deadweight. If you consider the amount of work going into getting radios back to work, operational ones should command a hefty premium, but again the average collector only cares if the paint looks original and if the Wa.A stamp is correct and present...

Different things to different people I guess....

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Yuri D.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksammler View Post
Many of the surving sets today were rebuild after the war for use with police, civil defense etc. in Germany and other countries. Add to this the sets used and modified by radio hams and you find a lot of potential for changes and mistakes.

Indeed the Dfh.b's cables are prone to internal breakages, I guess many got snagged when used inside tanks especially if they had to get out in a hurry. This is why you find so many with replaced cables. To the average collector it does not make any difference if things are broken or not, as long as it looks "original". A Dfh.b with a replacement cable is decried as a terrible fake on this forum, while completely useless broken ones are treasured as "untouched originals".

Same goes for radio sets themselves, a restored set in perfect working order does not command any premium over a deadweight. If you consider the amount of work going into getting radios back to work, operational ones should command a hefty premium, but again the average collector only cares if the paint looks original and if the Wa.A stamp is correct and present...

Different things to different people I guess....

regards,

Funksammler
How very true. If you get them working, you do it for yourself. Post it on YouTube, and others will enjoy this as well.

!0 W S c update
Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
BTaylor
Association Member

Default !0 W S c update

Brief update for those following...

I have been aggressively (compulsively?) continuing to analyze the two 10W Senders I own. Originally I used the schematics to reconnect loose wires and replace several missing resistors. I was assuming that these were superficial problems and that the wiring was essentially undisturbed. A closer examination revealed that one of the radios had actually been rewired! Considerable skill was evident, and the wires were bundled carefully with black string in a style very similar to original. Wire colors were wrong.
Some of the pricey units being offered for sale are vastly messed up inside, but as you say, externally intact, original paint, etc. seems like enough for some.
After finding errors and un-powered and un-grounded circuits, none of which seemed to make much sense, I started with the assumption that everything was wrong, and traced every wire. This is ongoing. Currently looking at the transformer bank, which is an incredible can-o-worms. My optimism about actually running this radio is pretty low, but it will be wired right.
The other Sender is relatively undisturbed and a good reference source. It is also not quite functional, and my long term plan is to return to it with the trace-every-wire-approach.
Just got a Pz20 box. $$$ Will save that as a future project...
Will continue posting...

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTaylor View Post
A closer examination revealed that one of the radios had actually been rewired!
Yes, that had happened quite often. See my post here:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...36&postcount=9

ps. Show your Pz20 kasten.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
Funksammler

Sounds like you are on the right track, even though it is a lot of work.

Be careful with the Pz Kasten 20, very often the electrolitic capacitor of the output transformer is bad. If the box is powered up without checking this you will burn out the transformer. I have encountered several intercom amplifiers either with the capacitor removed or with defective transformers.

regards,

Funksammler

Pz 20 plus
Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #13
BTaylor
Association Member

Default Pz 20 plus

Funksammler & Val

Appreciate the tip on the Pz20. I will approach it with caution. My first look inside the box suggests that the wiring could be incomplete. The terminal block leading to the three conduit connections (for the turret?) has no connections at all on it, incoming or outgoing. The lid is gray and the body Dunkelgelb, so it could have been swapped. All components and other wiring are apparently intact and original.
I will see about posting a couple of photos.

BTaylor

Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
la5he@yahoo.no

[Slightly off topic - it seems that many headsets and throat mikes are being marketed with defective cords. Of course cloth covered cords abused for years and/or stored in awful conditions are going to fail. But it is frustrating to get a set only suitable for a display case. Especially if priced up there with the functional units.

If someone ever makes realistic replacement cords, like they do for vintage telephones, I am sure many of us have unusable, less than pristine, sets that might be restored to use. It would avoid wear and tear on totally original sets.

BTaylor[/QUOTE]

If you need handmicrophone with cord and plug , drop me a line
Ragnar

Photos?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
BTaylor
Association Member

Default Photos?

A few photos: Pz Kasten 20 inside and out and Fu 5 radio frame being constructed.

Well, that's not going to work... the procedure for attaching images described in the FAQ section of the Forum does not work as described, unless my ability to follow instructions has failed.

BTaylor