wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

How rare is a LO6k39?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
roger_m

Default How rare is a LO6k39?

Hi, I have been proposed a LO6k39 receiver which optically seems in mint condition both internally and externally. I would like to know more about this impressive 70kg monster before deciding to buy or not. I read in some older posts that was an excellent receiver. Was it the Kriegsmarine equivalent to the Schwabenland with the Luftwaffe? (it does look very close in shape externally) What was its primary use? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Yuri D.
Association Member

I have one. It's the best TRF (tuned radio frequency) or direct amplification tube receiver ever made. Ultra sensitive and designed not to emit an extraneous signal from the local oscillator (which it doesn't have). Built like a battleship, to be used on a battleship. You should look at LA6NCA's page to see the masterpiece that you're getting:

http://www.la6nca.net/tysk/lo6k39a/index.htm

Old 09-29-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Funksammler

Indeed a "streight" receiver unlike the later Schwabenland. The Schwabenland (a rival heterodyne design to the E-52 "Köln) was also made by Lorenz and certain features were taken over from the Lo6K39.

The Lo6K39 was widely used by the Kriegsmarine both on major ships and on land.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #4
roger_m

Thanks. I read from a youtuber that the Lo6K39 is one of the most sensitive short wave receivers ever built, but as you well indicate Tuned Radio Frequency. The youtuber mentions what Yuri say about the oscillator; it seems that superheterodyne receivers generated (weak) signals at the required intermediate frequencies and that there was a danger that this signal escaped the receiver through the antenna, and the ship be triangulated by enemy direction finders. I am not deeply knowledgeable about radio technology, should I understand that the Kriegsmarine would have kept using « obsolete » TRF receivers on purpose to avoid triangulation? Would that explain why all wartime high-end superheterodyne receivers like the Schwabenland or the E52 were Luftwaffe orders only? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Funksammler

The risk of IF detection via the antenna seems a bit exaggerated, the signal is way to weak to be detected at any practical distance. The dislike for heterodyne receivers was as much based on a fear of mirror frequency interference. Later in the war the Kriegsmarine had no problem to use the Schwabenland and the Köln so their worries must have eased.

Famously there was the myth about the IF radiation of the Metox radar detection receiver used on U-boats, based on a flippant remark of a captured coastal command airman who did not want to give the performance of his ASV radar set away..

regards,

Funksammler

Old 09-30-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
roger_m

So there are Schwabenland and Kölns with KM labels? I thought they all were Luftwaffe (Gerät & Fl numbers)

Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
Funksammler

The Kriegsmarine did have specific designations (T8K44 for the Köln and EO 8268 for the Schwabenland) but as far as I know, the Kriegsmarine used standard equipment with Luftwaffe labels. I suspect that at this late point in the war, the luxury of special production lines for the different services could no longer be afforded....

regards,

Funksammler

Old 10-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
la5he@yahoo.no

I have a Naval Schabenland, painted in " battleship " colour , in case somebody needs one.

rgds Ragnar