wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #16
Dom
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Conversely, there is no way you could know that it was period done by a German. In fact, when we are talking about possibilities, and what is most likely, it is that it was Allied-vet art added. When was it added? Judging from the aged look of it, possibly during the war (as a souvenir piece from captured stock), or shortly after the war. Another thing that supports the notion that it was NOT German added (besides being ridiculous to add something like that to an otherwise camouflaged helmet), is that the swastika doesn't exhibit any chips or wear. The rest of the helmet does. This supports the idea that it was added after the helmet was "retired from actual service".
A good explanation but it is wasted on this guy. He just makes stuff up to maximise the value of what ever he wants to sell. Dispatch rider? Same paint as on the medic helmet? Kept in a side car? Complete rubbish, its the same thing every time he is told something he does not want to hear.
Dom

Old 05-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
Tim O'Keefe
Association Member

Swaz was added post war. It was painted over the original wear to the helmet underneath.
Besides why would a German solder paint a swaz on his helmet that is camo ?
Only a GI would do that....have seen this done before on other helmets. Lowers the value imo.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #18
Bill Hermann
Association Member

Surely you are not serious that this swaz was definitely added by the German soldier?
As others have stated the lack of any wear and the please aim here target on the front of a camouflaged helmet almost certainly suggest a vet upgrade.
Be happy with what it most likely is, an original tropical style camo helmet with vet art that is a nice pick up!
Regards, Bill

Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #19
bigschuss
Association Member

A vivd and unbridled imagination is something that does not often serve one well in this hobby.

Great helmet! . But, come on.

Last edited by bigschuss; 05-19-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
clestuff
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
A vivd and unbridled imagination is something that does not often serve one well in this hobby.

Great helmet! . But, come on.
Thanks for the "spirited" comments! You guys are the best! Except for Dom, I dont think he likes me and thats ok. I never PMd him anything about my "starving" family, I don't know what he's talking about.

To me, "imagination" IS something you need, but I call it thinking outside the box. It seems to me most forum members are "boxed" in by thinking any swastika painted on a helmet was done by a vet, kid, or biker. Never by a German soldier. As if all German soldiers were so very disciplined and so very smart they would never do such a thing. Give me a break! I saw on this very forum two Aussie soldiers wearing captured German helmets, one of which had a swastika on it. I've been tying to find the pic but no luck so far. I guess it makes more sense that an American soldier who just happened to have a metric swastika stencil in his back pocket painted it on because he couldnt find anything else with a swastika on it to take home. Besides, Germans wouldnt want a swastika "target" on anything, guess thats why they put giant swastika flags on the tops of their tanks. They wanted to get shot...

Thank you so much for all the kind [and unkind] words. I'm sorry if I dont always follow the flock in my way of thinking, thats just me...

Old 05-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
clestuff
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hermann View Post
Surely you are not serious that this swaz was definitely added by the German soldier?
As others have stated the lack of any wear and the please aim here target on the front of a camouflaged helmet almost certainly suggest a vet upgrade.
Be happy with what it most likely is, an original tropical style camo helmet with vet art that is a nice pick up!
Regards, Bill
Bill, Thank you for the kind comment but nobody can say it was "definitely" added by a German soldier or by a vet, I'm not saying that. I can see the helmet was worn before it was added, sure. That doesnt mean that a vet must have added it. There are a lot of vet, kid and biker added swatz helmets out there, this is the case with most. The swastikas are usually very sloppy on those. I'm just saying the swatz was very well done, perfectly centered, done from a metric stencil and looks period. It looks like the stencil size that would have been used on a vehicle. It just looks like a "German" done job. Based on this I'm saying it "could" have been done by a German. He "could" have surrendered very soon after doing it thus the lack of wear to it. I've seen a lot of good and rare helmets dismissed in the past because they dont fit into the "norm".
Thanks, Cliff

Old 05-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
clestuff
Association Member

Perhaps the German soldier was a real Nazi. Some German soldier were. This was stuffed in the helmet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01342.jpg (142.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01343.jpg (161.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01340.jpg (147.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01341.jpg (230.2 KB, 201 views)

Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
Deathshead
Association Member

It's a nice looking helmet and whatever it was used for is perhaps forever lost in history or... who knows one day something will appear to give us more clues.
Just enjoy it for what it is.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clestuff View Post
Thanks for the "spirited" comments! You guys are the best! Except for Dom, I dont think he likes me and thats ok. I never PMd him anything about my "starving" family, I don't know what he's talking about.

To me, "imagination" IS something you need, but I call it thinking outside the box. It seems to me most forum members are "boxed" in by thinking any swastika painted on a helmet was done by a vet, kid, or biker. Never by a German soldier. As if all German soldiers were so very disciplined and so very smart they would never do such a thing. Give me a break! I saw on this very forum two Aussie soldiers wearing captured German helmets, one of which had a swastika on it. I've been tying to find the pic but no luck so far. I guess it makes more sense that an American soldier who just happened to have a metric swastika stencil in his back pocket painted it on because he couldnt find anything else with a swastika on it to take home. Besides, Germans wouldnt want a swastika "target" on anything, guess thats why they put giant swastika flags on the tops of their tanks. They wanted to get shot...

Thank you so much for all the kind [and unkind] words. I'm sorry if I dont always follow the flock in my way of thinking, thats just me...
Conversely, adopting your "outside the box" thinking pretty much excuses every fake as being period made. I can understand a dealer or seller wanting to adopt this way of thinking, since that way they can push virtually everything and anything as "real", but for purposes of collecting, it is always advisable for a collector to be conservative.
We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
Iwo Jima 1945

Last edited by WalterB; 05-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #25
Bill Hermann
Association Member

Quote:
Bill, Thank you for the kind comment but nobody can say it was "definitely" added by a German soldier or by a vet, I'm not saying that. I can see the helmet was worn before it was added, sure. That doesnt mean that a vet must have added it. There are a lot of vet, kid and biker added swatz helmets out there, this is the case with most. The swastikas are usually very sloppy on those. I'm just saying the swatz was very well done, perfectly centered, done from a metric stencil and looks period. It looks like the stencil size that would have been used on a vehicle. It just looks like a "German" done job. Based on this I'm saying it "could" have been done by a German. He "could" have surrendered very soon after doing it thus the lack of wear to it. I've seen a lot of good and rare helmets dismissed in the past because they dont fit into the "norm".
Thanks, Cliff
We will never know for sure Cliff and we all need to keep an open mind and in the absence of definate proof we can only look at the most propable scenario.
Love the flag that came with it.
Regards,
Bill

Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
ROBB
Association Member

I have a Normandy camo with 2 perfect bordered white swastikas on the sides . I guessed they were painted on by the guy who did the little swastikas on the sides of fighters to show how many Germans the pilot had shot down. There were a lot of skilled allied artists in WW2 , mind you now I am thinking it could be a rare despatch riders helmet! Rob

Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #27
clestuff
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB View Post
I have a Normandy camo with 2 perfect bordered white swastikas on the sides . I guessed they were painted on by the guy who did the little swastikas on the sides of fighters to show how many Germans the pilot had shot down. There were a lot of skilled allied artists in WW2 , mind you now I am thinking it could be a rare despatch riders helmet! Rob
LOL, could be Rob! The swastika does have to be in front to be a dispatch riders though...

One more point, white paint! It is what DAK units used and what many German soldiers used for their name inside, just saying. It was a Nazi tradition to paint a white swatz, perhaps an old Freikorps member???
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Member of Freikorps Ehrhardt wearing WWI era.pdf (145.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #28
WalterB
Lifetime Member

[duplicate post]
We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #29
WalterB
Lifetime Member

Quote:
LOL, could be Rob! The swastika does have to be in front to be a dispatch riders though...

One more point, white paint! It is what DAK units used and what many German soldiers used for their name inside, just saying. It was a Nazi tradition to paint a white swatz, perhaps an old Freikorps member???

Might as well make this helmet Rommel's own personal dispatch rider. That should warrant an extra few $$$ in the asking price.
We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #30
MAUSER99

definitely "vet art" I bought two lids direct out of a vets estate.

Sometime in the past both had large Swastikas painted on the sides.. Ruined them or enhanced depending on how you look at it...

This example has that nice Olive/tan paint usually associated with Sicily/ Italy.

great find !