wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Groupings and Individual Soldier's History Archive Forum

Groupings and Individual Soldier's History Archive Forum Dedicated to the personal history of individual soldiers - any war, any country. One thread per individual. No 'looking for' or general comment threads.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #46
Bradley

This is amazing! Very nice way to remember such an honourable man, and father. Good work.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #47
jacquesf
Association Member

Dan, I salute you and your dad. Jacques

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #48
josh105

I always wondered who that was in your avatar - I know now and some history behind it.

Congratulations on that amazing display for an amazing man!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #49
Luis22

A true hero! Thanks for posting.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #50
Ron C.

Dan,

Your post is a great tribute to your father, who in turn seems to have been a great father (since you clearly couldn't have such feelings for him if he wasn't); a great soldier (his time, achievement of rank, and the many awards he had are more than ample proof of that); and a great patriot serving a GREAT nation as he did for so long under this, and the earlier 48 star version, flag.

While many of the leaders we have had over the years may have done some "stupid" things at times......the nation is certainly far from stupid, as some might say without first engaging their "gray matter" first (for those who might not catch the meaning of that, it refers to a brain).

Back to the point at hand of your father, yes....he left the relative safety at the time of his country, and went to other countries to defend it as did many young soldiers from this nation. In the process of doing so, he not only helped to defend our freedom, but he helped to restore to those other countries the freedoms that they had before being invaded and occupied. All of that makes your father a great father, and a great soldier from a great nation.

Ron
Former member of the 8th ID, and earlier in life of the 101st ABN Division

Last edited by Don D.; 03-08-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #51
Chris Boonzaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
You really should stop posting while drinking. That is the only way I can explain your recent posts. They have been nothing more than incindiary attacks. You are contributing NOTHING to the Forum in this condition. In fact, quite the opposite.

He seems to be quite mads!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #52
münster
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
He seems to be quite mads!
Who?
In a rock and roll band

Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
Chris Boonzaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by münster View Post
Who?

post was erased ... was basically just insulting to the guys father

Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #54
Stephen Stout
Association Member

Wow!!! I love the display and the history!

Theodor Flück Collection, “The Rzhev Meat-Grinder”

Old 12-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #55
USArty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
2nd is the Air Medal he earned while in Viet Nam
Your father was our commanding officer 5th Battalion 22nd Artillery at Ft Irwin, Ca and in Vietnam. June 1967 - November 1968. We arrived in Vietnam via a troop carrier, the USNS Upsher, 24 December 1967. I was in the Headquarters Battery, Operation / Fire Direction Control. I know he was proud of the missions we accomplished under his command. Based on our performance elsewhere in Vietnam, we were deployed to Duc Lap Special Forces Camp 13 September 1968 at the request of the 4th Infantry Commander, General Stone. to coordinate artillery fires. Col Driscoll would stop in at night to check on us. He was very well respected and a pleasure to work for.

Exc
Old 12-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #56
Sevrin
Association Member

Default Exc

Excellent display & commend you for preserving that history! Unfortunately some families just sell everything off.

Glad to see you not only saving his legacy but proudly displaying it!

Old 01-01-2017, 03:55 AM   #57
KC1
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USArty View Post
Your father was our commanding officer 5th Battalion 22nd Artillery at Ft Irwin, Ca and in Vietnam. June 1967 - November 1968. We arrived in Vietnam via a troop carrier, the USNS Upsher, 24 December 1967. I was in the Headquarters Battery, Operation / Fire Direction Control. I know he was proud of the missions we accomplished under his command. Based on our performance elsewhere in Vietnam, we were deployed to Duc Lap Special Forces Camp 13 September 1968 at the request of the 4th Infantry Commander, General Stone. to coordinate artillery fires. Col Driscoll would stop in at night to check on us. He was very well respected and a pleasure to work for.
I have always held out hope that someone in his command would see this posting and comment. I thank you for this and doubly thank you for your service to our country. My father spoke very fondly of his troops and held the utmost respect for them as well. I will be adding updates to this post very soon.

Dan

Looking for a very nice DD KM Helmet

Update
Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #58
KC1
Association Member

Default Update

JANUARY 2, 1945
It was 72 years ago our soldiers were fighting hard in Europe making advances towards reaching Germany and ending the Nazi threat to the world.

My father, Sgt. Vedder B Driscoll, 87th Infantry Division, 345th Infantry Regiment, I-Company, during his encounter at the Battle of the Bulge, retrieved a new 1945 German "Notizbuch" from a fallen Nazi soldier. It was at this time he started to keep a diary of his daily encounters/battles. The first couple of months he put the effort to catalogue what was occurring on a daily basis but as the war dragged on his daily entrees understandably became weekly and at times monthly; mostly due to the 87th's fast advances in marching or being trucked to there next battle. I thought I would share these entries of his time to the forum members. The accounts are brief but it puts the reader in the lap of what my father was going through during these very trying and often very traumatic points of time in war.

The first scans depict the "Notizbuch" he obtained. I have never seen another one of these in my collecting years so if there are others please let me know. Otherwise, I believe I have a "one of a kind".

Front Cover of book:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad's Notizbuch.jpg (57.6 KB, 149 views)

Dan

Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #59
KC1
Association Member

The next 2 scans show more of the first two pages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad's Diary Intro.jpg (89.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Dad's Diary 1.jpg (156.6 KB, 159 views)

Dan

Old 01-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #60
KC1
Association Member

My father's first entries must have been very difficult emotionally as I- Company lost their Commander, Capt. Frank Nichoson and PFC Robert Michel on a counter attack by the Germans in Moircy, Belgium. Date 31 December 1944, he wrote:

"Attack all day, stopped about 2000. 0130 counterattack comes from Moircy, Capt Nick - Michel killed. Two great men! Those dirty ---!!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diary entry 1.jpg (40.0 KB, 159 views)

Dan