wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Fallschirmjäger Forum

Fallschirmjäger Forum Paratrooper Badges, documents, photographs, headgear, uniforms, history, research, insignia and field gear.

Fj TDB pics - Italy
Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Waffenreich
Association Member

Default Fj TDB pics - Italy

Good day gents,

Picked these up from a friend yesterday and wanted to post them as there's some interesting uniform details in them.

The pics are 3.5" x 2.5" and say "Italien Winter 44/45" on the back of each.

The same men are in each pic with one being a Spiess. The interesting points are"

* Under high magnification you can see on the shoulder strap for the TDB holder the gothic "A" for the medical academy. This is supported by what appears to be twisted officer's piping around the collar of his Fliegerblouse. Notice the large backing of cloth around his TDB. It almost looks like what we see on what's known as the Austrian Fake TDB with the field-grey uniform cloth that extends beyond the edges of the silver/gold brocade.

* One Fj is wearing pants of Italian camo with zippers

* All but the Spiess appear to be wearing either jump boots with cleats, or mountain boots (nothing unusual for Italy, but an interesting aspect nonetheless)

* All are reasonably senior in rank and with the exception of the medic heavily decorated, but none are wearing a Kreta cufftitle. Could this indicate the unit they belong to? Were there specific companies of Fj regiments that did not jump on Crete and later took part in the Italian campaign?

If anybody has seen these guys in other pics or has other observations I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of your day.

Regards!

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fj3.jpg (97.2 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg Fj1.jpg (78.4 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg Fj2.jpg (85.5 KB, 863 views)

Last edited by Waffenreich; 03-03-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Interesting photos Bob!

I really like the Italian camo trousers on the FJ on the right. There were few Kreta veterans in the FJ formations in 1944-1945 (even 1943) for several reasons: casualties from 3+ years of war after Kreta, and the dramatic growth of the FJ formations (10+ divisions).

The entire 1st Fallschirm Korps (1st and 4th FJDs) fought in Italy until their surrender in April of 1945.

Not uncommon to see FJs wearing boots other than jump boots. Jump boots, with their flat soles/ heels, are essentially useless in wet grass, mud, and snow.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
paintbrush

Those are great photos, with a wonderful mix of insignia and uniform details. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'd also add that maybe the man holding the cig has a cloth jump badge; it seems to have a solid background to it (but the tunic also seems to be wrinkled with the badge seems flat).

Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Waffenreich
Association Member

Appreciate the reply Willi and thanks for the info on 1 Fj Korps. The boots remind me of the clips from Cassino of the Fj wearing them. Seeing a medic with a TDB is pretty unusual, but seeing the "A" cypher on the strap at this point in the war is even more unusual.

Also, thanks for the comments paintbrush. I agree - it does look like there is a cloth Fj badge in wear.

vr

Bob

Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

The medic is interesting. No collar tabs, no jump badge, no ground combat badge...but he has a TDB.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
Hans Kristian
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffenreich View Post
Good day gents,

Picked these up from a friend yesterday and wanted to post them as there's some interesting uniform details in them.

The pics are 3.5" x 2.5" and say "Italien Winter 44/45" on the back of each.

The same men are in each pic with one being a Spiess. The interesting points are"

* Under high magnification you can see on the shoulder strap for the TDB holder the gothic "A" for the medical academy. This is supported by what appears to be twisted officer's piping around the collar of his Fliegerblouse. Notice the large backing of cloth around his TDB. It almost looks like what we see on what's known as the Austrian Fake TDB with the field-grey uniform cloth that extends beyond the edges of the silver/gold brocade.

* One Fj is wearing pants of Italian camo with zippers

* All but the Spiess appear to be wearing either jump boots with cleats, or mountain boots (nothing unusual for Italy, but an interesting aspect nonetheless)

* All are reasonably senior in rank and with the exception of the medic heavily decorated, but none are wearing a Kreta cufftitle. Could this indicate the unit they belong to? Were there specific companies of Fj regiments that did not jump on Crete and later took part in the Italian campaign?

If anybody has seen these guys in other pics or has other observations I'd like to hear them.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the rest of your day.

Regards!

Bob
Really interesting and unusual.!

To me it looks like there is 2 pips on his shoulderboard + the A, meaning that he is a Feldunterarzt and probably serving as Hilfsarzt. All medical students at the Medical Academy were appointed Feldunterarzt after passing the first, theoretical, part of the medical studies.
Looks like he have the BWB and ..?..ostmedaille..?..

Thanks for sharing.!
Hans Kristian

Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Luft 76

Yes, great pics for sure. Thanks for showing them. I am very surprised by the medic who has destroyed a tank. I didnt know it was possible. Very interesting.
Any idea about the dark collar on the man on the right ?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
paintbrush

He's wearing a dark shirt or sweater with the collar over his fliegerbluse collar.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #9
Hans Kristian
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Z. View Post
The medic is interesting. No collar tabs, no jump badge, no ground combat badge...but he has a TDB.
Wasn´t the collar tabs discontinued in 1944..?..

Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
martin hall
Association Member

Nice photos congrats

Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #11
kiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Kristian View Post
Wasn´t the collar tabs discontinued in 1944..?..
I believe that officially only in HG units in the field (order from January 1944) but not wearing them or wearing just LW gulls pinned to the collar was quite common late war.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #12
Yubari
Association Member

these guys went through some s*** for sure

Old 03-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Waffenreich
Association Member

Gents,

I am glad to see these pictures were able to generate some discussion about the uniforms.

I thought it was very interesting as well that a medical student would destroy a tank.

Thanks for coming on and taking the time to post your thoughts.

Regards!

Bob

Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Tom B

I agree, very nice photos ! As for the TDB holder, it looks to me he had the badge sewn to a exra piece of cloth to make it more sturdy on the sleeve. Not an uncommon practice. Tom

Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
paintbrush

Although not FJ, check out this related photo from Panzernet, post #42:

http://www.panzernet.com/foro4/showt...iformes/page5&

Heer Medical Spiess with 3 TDB in wear (and close combat badge).

Amazing.