wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
me6_130
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ND. PIONEER View Post
Just a question/observation the picture of the turret shows the barrel with a threaded
short stub, were the king tiger, panther and other very long barrels in two pieces?
I don't know if it's normal but seems the original one was cut or broken. There is a vid showing how they removed the barrel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7go-GwROYzA&t=35

Carles

Old 11-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
timg
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ND. PIONEER View Post
Just a question/observation the picture of the turret shows the barrel with a threaded
short stub, were the king tiger, panther and other very long barrels in two pieces?
All to do with the variation of wear on the rifling of the gun. The flack 88 was also a multi unit barrel. At least the latter version was. Precision engineering at its best when you consider you are threading two sections together, complete with locking collar AND registering the internal rifling at the same time.

I believe that it was only the 88MM that had this construction and not the long 75mm.

Regards

Tim