wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Achtung Panzer! Forum

Achtung Panzer! Forum This forum is designated to discuss the equipment, battles and people of the Panzertruppe.

Balkenkreuz Absent
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Carl Christense
Association Member

Default Balkenkreuz Absent

Fellow enthusiasts,

Sometimes I see a panzer or stug without a Balkenkreuz painted on the hull. Is there a reason why they would not paint one on there vehicle? Were they even required to do so?

Please let me know, I'm eager to learn more about insignia.

Carl C

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
DonC
Association Member

I think as the camouflage schemes became more advanced, Zimmerit was added, the war began to turn against Germany, etc., you see fewer markings in general. Also, hasty field-applied camo would cover some or all of the markings.

Don

Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Nightwish

In the later wartime, the Balkenkreuz often was absent. As DonC has writen, as a result of better camouflage-effect and lack of time and color.

Balkenkruez
Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Lennard

Default Balkenkruez

Hi,

If a vehicle carries a cross or not, could have been decided at the factory, see the attached photo of a HPzZa in approx late 43 to early 44, a collection depot that took in new vehicles from the factories and then issued them to various combat areas, but not necessarily immediatly to combat units, that would be later.

So combat units and their camouflage applications have not yet had an affect on these StuG's current paintwork.

All these StuG's are new, and all from the same factory, but some have crosses and some do not, especially the rear hull cross, which even if its applied can be in different poistions from vehicle to vehicle.

So much for quality control .

cheers lennard

Last edited by Lennard; 10-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.