wehrmacht awards

Schimmweste 10-30-B2 - For Review and Appraisal
Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
spurr99
Association Member

Default Schimmweste 10-30-B2 - For Review and Appraisal

Gents,

I recently acquired a vet bring back Schimmweste 10-30-B2. Please review and offer appraisal. Not sure what these go for now. There is one on eBay at 1899 USD that is missing the CO2 bottle. I'm thinking of selling and would appreciate the input.

It is a true salty bring back that has not seen the light of day for 70+ years. It is complete with CO2 tank and maker label and stamps. It is in very nice condition, used but a complete example. The only minor issue being that the fastening strap that would have gone between the legs had its thinner portion cut off. I've been told that some Luftwaffe pilots cut this off to avoid the annoying dangling strap which when fastened made getting the vest on and off very cumbersome and when left unfastened was a cockpit entanglement hazard. Overall it is amazing condition, apparently it was obtained from a Luftwaffe Pilot that ditched in the channel.

Here are the pictures, please let me know info as to the stamps and a value estimate.

Schwimmweste 10-30-B2 - For review and appraisal
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
spurr99
Association Member

Default Schwimmweste 10-30-B2 - For review and appraisal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurr99 View Post
Gents,

I recently acquired a vet bring back Schwimmweste 10-30-B2. Please review and offer appraisal. Not sure what these go for now. There is one on eBay at 1899 USD that is missing the CO2 bottle. I'm thinking of selling and would appreciate the input.

It is a true salty bring back that has not seen the light of day for 70+ years. It is complete with CO2 tank and maker label and stamps. It is in very nice condition, used but a complete example. The only minor issue being that the fastening strap that would have gone between the legs had its thinner portion cut off. I've been told that some Luftwaffe pilots cut this off to avoid the annoying dangling strap which when fastened made getting the vest on and off very cumbersome and when left unfastened was a cockpit entanglement hazard. Overall it is amazing condition, apparently it was obtained from a Luftwaffe Pilot that ditched in the channel.

Here are the pictures, please let me know info as to the stamps and a value estimate.

Thank you

Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
AndyC
Association Member

Looks like a fine early weste

Andy

Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Lou58
Association Member

Nice vest, the one for sale on E-bay is way over priced, and missing the gas bottle! Going on what I paid for mine last year they should range (with out any missing parts) US $1400 to $1700.

Lou

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
J. Hahn
Association Member

It's good, but there are a few things drawing price down IMO. Cut strap, broken mouth piece, oxydation on buckles (or is it just glare?) and generally quite dirty. For me below 1000 euro.

Looking for Luftwaffe Reserve insignia with the blue secondary colour and German WW2 tunics made in Denmark.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
spurr99
Association Member

Thanks guys for your review and feedback. Lou58 I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your collection...

Based on the vet's son's story, this vest was taken from a Luftwaffe pilot that ditched in the channel and was plucked onto a boat by the RN, which it's age and patina support. This IMO makes it a rare gem and worth more (not less) than a pristine unsoiled or un-issued NOS item. Being complete with the original bottle and little details like extra seals still wired to the bottle, correct partially faded original maker stamps etc. all make it a pre-D-Day time capsule combat gem. I personally pay more for items like this, with patina, than ones that were discovered in warehouse stores post war and resold. But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Gran Sasso
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurr99 View Post
Thanks guys for your review and feedback. Lou58 I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your collection...

Based on the vet's son's story, this vest was taken from a Luftwaffe pilot that ditched in the channel and was plucked onto a boat by the RN, which it's age and patina support. This IMO makes it a rare gem and worth more (not less) than a pristine unsoiled or un-issued NOS item. Being complete with the original bottle and little details like extra seals still wired to the bottle, correct partially faded original maker stamps etc. all make it a pre-D-Day time capsule combat gem. I personally pay more for items like this, with patina, than ones that were discovered in warehouse stores post war and resold. But that's just my opinion.
Buy the item, not the story - I am with J. Hahn, well below 1000,-EUR.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #8
Lou58
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Sasso View Post
Buy the item, not the story - I am with J. Hahn, well below 1000,-EUR.
I was going on what they were selling on dealer sites, and also E-bay last year. Here's one on Mike's site https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=5431

Thanks spurr99.

Lou

Last edited by Lou58; 06-21-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
werner

I agree with Jesper and Gran Sasso,

Without solid proofs and a well know pilot's name, buy the item not the story.

Last edited by werner; 06-21-2019 at 04:19 PM.

the story is irrelevant
Old 06-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
spurr99
Association Member

Smile the story is irrelevant

Gents, the story is irrelevant ... certainly had no influence on the purchase decision, itemís purchase price or perceived value at the time of purchase. Similarly trying to make the point that some collectors like myself see past a minor flaw or two, and believe it or not actually prefer items, especially field equipment items, that show age, wear and patina.. as opposed to being pristine and having had very little service use (or if NOS no service use at all). That all said for example, a heavily rusted DD M35 helmet with battle damage is a relic and isnít as valuable as a combat used DD M35 helmet that is complete with no rust or battle damage.

Anyhoo.. it is a Ďsaltyí WW2 schimmweste with some reversible discolouration due to disdust/dirt (that could be washed off, which I certainly will not remove) and a couple of small issues (the thin part of the crotch strap was cut and bakelite mouthpiece is chipped). It is not a weste that sat in a crate until after the war, but it really has no other damage or issues. So IMO (which we all have), as it is otherwise complete and has the original C02 bottle intact (with extra seals still attached with wire) and no other damage, complete visible maker stamps., based on comparisons as well as discussions with several dealers, I think the overall consensus is an uncommon original item, valued in the $1100-$1600 USD range.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 AM   #11
Pierre
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou58 View Post

This one is in magnificent condition.

Pierre

Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 AM   #12
J. Hahn
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
This one is in magnificent condition.

Pierre
Yes - and has been sitting there for a while. So at what price would a buyer prefer the vest in question - the answer would give a realistic idea of market value.

Looking for Luftwaffe Reserve insignia with the blue secondary colour and German WW2 tunics made in Denmark.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Paul Woodbyrne
Association Member

most collectors prefer undamaged items so sadly no under strap and damaged mouth piece will effect the selling price. A top price would be $700-00 to $ 680 for it to sell quickly, but you never know in this hobby. regards Paul.( To a collector who collects say china tea pots its like buying one with spout broken off and no lid..... if you get my drift.)

Schimmweste 10-30-B2 - For Review and Appraisal
Old 06-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #14
docmaster1
Association Member

Default Schimmweste 10-30-B2 - For Review and Appraisal

Ratisbons has one for 1500 Euros. Itís fully intact with all the accessories and appears to be in pretty good shape. The ad claims itís a rarer variant, but I would leave that up to the experts. Just advising that itís out there for the sake of comparison.

https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/10-di...life-vest.html

Dave C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #15
Nachrichten

"So IMO (which we all have), as it is otherwise complete and has the original C02 bottle intact (with extra seals still attached with wire) and no other damage, complete visible maker stamps., based on comparisons as well as discussions with several dealers, I think the overall consensus is an uncommon original item, valued in the $1100-$1600 USD range."

You asked for opinions and you got them.

You have decided on the price at which you will offer the item (as you already own it, your original request was for information on a potential sale price).

What it eventually sells for will depend on:

a. What a potential purchaser offers; and

b. What you are prepared to accept.

Good luck with your sale.

N