wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Model Building and Display Forum

Model Building and Display Forum Post tips, methods, tools and final outcome of your projects!

Advice for a beginner.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
kevin john
Association Member

Default Advice for a beginner.

Hello fellow members ,i am thinking about building my first German WW2 era tank model in the 1/35 size, i have not put together a model kit for over 50 years and would be glad of any advice you can offer ,what items will i need besides the actual kit and is the size i have picked a good scale model to have and which is the best manufacturer of these kits thanking you in advance for any advice Kevin :

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
Hagen

1/35 is a good scale to start with. I would go with an early war vehicle in Panzer grey, a nice simple color scheme. Tamiya makes great kits that usually build up well, Dragon also has nice kits but their instructions can be a bit busy and confusing at times.

Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
herrgeezer
Association Member

Hello Kevin. Like you, I hadn't built a scale model in some time when I began to get back into the hobby.

The first thing I'd say, just to get back into the pace of things, is to get you some basic tools and paint. A good Xacto knife and tweezers will start you off. I even suggest a good sprue cutter too. You then you'll want to some sanding sticks or maybe a few good small hobby files. You can also check out YouTube for suggestions on tools.

Next invest in some good paint. I had quite a bit of old stock Tamiya paint but purchased some newer Valleo paints based on watching some videos on YouTube. Speaking of videos I'd recommend checking out Andy's Hobby Headquarters channel on YouTube. He's knowledgeable and builds a slew of different vehicles as reviews.

My first model when I started back up was the Tamiya 1/35 scale late war Tiger I. I used Model Master spray paint (Afrika Mustard) for the base coat. I had an old Paasche airbrush and compressor and sprayed the camo scheme with that. I have since bought another airbrush and compressor. I got the Master Airbrush from Amazon and a compressor with holding tank. This airbrush is very affordable as is the compressor.

I'm sure other guys will chime in with their suggestions too.

We all look forward to hearing from you and seeing your progress. Take care and good luck.
Herrgeezer's War Room

Old 02-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
herrgeezer
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
1/35 is a good scale to start with. I would go with an early war vehicle in Panzer grey, a nice simple color scheme. Tamiya makes great kits that usually build up well, Dragon also has nice kits but their instructions can be a bit busy and confusing at times.

Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.
Totally agree. This is good advice.
Herrgeezer's War Room

Old 02-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
rbminis
Association Member

All I can say is, be patient.
All good things take time.
Ralph.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
kevin john
Association Member

Hello guys ,thanks for the input i will take it really slowly and i will keep you informed on how i am getting on thanks kevin.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
Mike Swan
Association Member

Hagen is generally correct about sticking with Tamiya. Dragon are excellent but I think go too far with numerous fiddly details that become a chore. Tamiya instructions are also easier to follow.

It will be a good idea to read various on-line reviews of the kit you may choose as they will often give you the pros and cons of the construction process.

Also, don't necessarily limit yourself to an overall panzer grey scheme. For example, Tamiya released a very nice new-tool Elefant that will look great in the 1943 yellow, brown, green scheme.

Mike

Old 02-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
KLMKsunbunny

i'm still a beginner myself. I would also say the Tamiya kits are a great start, the Panther A kit sells for a very affordable price (here in the UK) and its a big model too, so plenty of space to experiment with paint schemes.

I use the packs of disposable sanding strips women use to file their nails to sand parts down, as they come in different grades, theyre cheap, and they have some flex in them, so great for awkward or curved parts.

I build my tanks in two parts, the base and top, and paint them separately, so its a lot easier to paint awkward parts like behind the wheels for example. I find a black undercoat works best for me on the lower parts where there would be heavier shadows ( it makes the later layers of paint darker too).

I would disagree with an airbrush being necessary though, especially for a beginner. They are an expensive outlay. I have had great results using paint dabbed on with a sponge. mix up a few shades of the colour you want (lighter and darker) dip your sponge in and then dab it onto newspaper or something first so the excess paint is removed and the paint becomes a little dryer, you will get a flat smooth finish then. If you mix up lighter and darker shades you can use the sponge to blend across the model, I find it works better if you decide where the light would be shining from, and where it would then hit the angles of the tank and make those the lighter areas. Camouflage schemes are much easier with an airbrush though..!

Decide on your colour scheme beforehand rather than just ploughing in. Whether you want a pristine or battle worn look. Heavy weathering adds more character for me personally, and you can also disguise parts where you may have blobbed glue or a join isn't perfect. Look up the "hairspray technique" which is great for beginners.

Here is my third completed motel, the Panther A, painted as outlined above, with a lot of weathering added.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TENPVCZrzhaoaKQe8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xhrPD4y72SHYHebX8

Old 02-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
kevin john
Association Member

Hello KLMK and Mike thanks for your advice, i am still trying to find out what basic tools i will need and what colour scheme to go with i have started looking at posted videos to try and get some ideas,like what glue ,thinners and of course ideas on how to paint a tank.Kevin.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
Tim Curley
Association Member

If you have not built a model in over 50 years, most likely one of the most important tools you will need is a headset with magnifier lenses.
Speaking from experience.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
kevin john
Association Member

Hello Tim you maybe right,i will see when the Kit arrives,i ordered the PANZERKAMPFWAGEN Vl AUSFUHRUNG E Tiger1 plus a few bottles of ink and some basic tools i have not bought the Air brush or compressor yet as i am still looking and have not made up my mind which one i want yet ,does the one herrgeezer describe sound okay as i will not be building one every week Kevin.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Normandy
Association Member

Hello Kevin, I have used Tamiya acrylic paints for years and have had
good results with them.

If your working on WWII German Armor these are the colors I
use the most...

German Gray XF 63 Its dark panzer gray.

Desert Yellow XF 59 DAK yellow.

Dark Yellow XF 60

Dark Green XF 61

Red Brown XF 64

Field Gray XF 65 Gray green, this is good for German uniforms.

Thinner X 20 A

Good luck with your build and painting, it looks like you will have
plenty of help if you need it.

John.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
kevin john
Association Member

Hello John,thanks for the info,i have been watching loads of videos on youtube to see what colours are needed but different builders use slightly different colours Kevin.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
gregM
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin john View Post
Hello John,thanks for the info,i have been watching loads of videos on youtube to see what colours are needed but different builders use slightly different colours Kevin.
watching youtube videos is a great idea. i built my first kit just last year
and learned alot from the videos. i decided to airbrush mine just because
i wanted to see if i could do it or not but what ever method you choose,
there are lots of videos giving step by step instructions.

patience is the key. it took we way way longer to finish than i had thought
it would. it seems that i never had entirerly everything that i needed so
there were many days spent waiting for the post to deliver something that
i had over looked. good luck and have fun.

I was addicted to the Hokey-Pokey, but I turned myself around.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
kevin john
Association Member

Hi, T1 L/35 scale kit arrived today was smaller in hand than i thought,forgot to order the plastic putty for the Zimmerit i already have a headache and i have only read the instructions:,Kevin.