wehrmacht awards

Mark E. Jones IV
Old 01-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Default Mark E. Jones IV

Name of WAF collector, membership level and known as on the WAF: Mark E. Jones IV from Austin Texas, he was also known as user Wurfmine. Mark was a forum association member on the WAF and had joined the forum on October 2005. Mark passed away on 19 January 2019. He lived his life as a free spirit and historian – as student of philosophy and academics.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...-jones-8137855

WAF user account background: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ber.php?u=8747

Collecting interests: Mark was active on a number of WAF sites during his time on this forum, including: Indo China Wars 1945 - 1975, Cloth Headgear Forum and Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Articles, books published or other achievements:

Comments from fellow WAF forum membership (sampling from thread):
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Br. James
Association Member

"He lived his life as a free spirit and historian – as student of philosophy and academics."

Thanks very much for your announcement, Ralph. I didn't know Mark, but from your description, we will miss his input here on WAF. May he rest in well-deserved peace and rise in glory!

Br. James

Mark Jones (Wurfmine)
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
DennyB
Association Member

Default Mark Jones (Wurfmine)

I knew Mark from the time he was about 17 years old. He was a student of WWII battles and tactics as well as German uniforms, weapons, and equipment from a young age. In the last few years he had expanded his interested into the Vietnam Era, especially uniforms of the Special Forces.

We rode many miles together going to militaria shows, museums, gun shows, and antique shops. He was never boring, that was for certain. He would have been 47 on February 14th. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Mike Davis
Moderator and Forum Sponsor

It was with genuine shock that I learned of Mark's death from DennyB. Mark and I had communicated several times in the past weeks and I expected to see him, as usual, at the SoS. I will miss his enthusiasm - and his deep appreciation for and understanding of the field service blouse as issued to German soldiers in the Second World War. R.I.P.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Br. James
Association Member

Many thanks for your reflection, DennyB -- "He would have been 47 on February 14th." -- that's FAR too young to pass on into glory...

Br. James

Old 01-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Douglas Jr.

He was very young. What a tragedy.
RIP.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Waffenreich
Association Member

This is very sad news indeed.

I first met Mark in 1993 when I was stationed in New Mexico and we shared many similar interests in German Army field service blouses. He purchased many of my nice tunics when I sold a number of my uniforms in 1994 and we used to correspond frequently. One thing I always looked forward to was seeing him at the SOS and sharing MANY laughs about all manner of topics. This will leave an empty spot now going into this one.

I hope he went peacefully surrounded by family.

He was a good friend to Ed Stroh and I and he will be missed sorely.

RIP Mark

Rob

Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
OSS
Association Member

Mark had excellent taste in regards to Heer issue tunics and had assembled quite a superb collection with a number of choice examples in his area of collecting. It's sad that he won't be with us any longer.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
TWS
Association Member

I'm very sorry to hear of this. He and I are very close in age and very close geographically. Strange as I don't think I knew him, yet the white pages indicate we lived 6 miles apart. Sounds like he was a heck of a great guy. Wish I had known him.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
longislandercjv
Association Member

The news was indeed unexpected.
Mark was a very knowledgeable collector;
We had many a chat about the minutae of
insignia manufacture at my tables at the SOS.
I will miss him as well.