wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Communications Equipment

Communications Equipment Radio, telephony and radar equipment

Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #31
Funksammler

With the help of Reidmuller (many thanks!), I received a copy of the after action report on the la Caine raid. Due to copyright restrictions, I can not post the material online but I will share my analysis.

The report is based on observations after the area was liberated and it was mainly concerned in analysing the damage done by the ordnance dropped during the raid. It revolves around 7 "incidents" of vehicle wrecks found and describes the damage inflicted on those vehicles. Unfortunately no armoured vehicles are described, the only thing that the Germans left were wrecks of some light staff cards, an omnibus and some light trucks. The report also contains a photograph of the original mass grave listing the names of the fifteen fatal casualties of the raid including Gen. Von Dawans.

Most vehicles were analysed were hit by shell fragments of nearby explosions. It is clear that the vehicles had been stripped of anything useful before the allies arrived, some are missing their engine, most are missing their wheels.

One of the vehicles discussed is listed as a signals lorry (I have not been able to identify the type of vehicle yet, the grainy picture shows the underside of the vehicle which is lying on its side), The report states that "one or two strikes on top of the lorry had probably been caused by machine gun fire. This would be consistent with the damage found on the radio rack.

So the report gives no direct evidence to support or discount the destruction of a Kommandofunkwagen at the la Caine raid but it does give an impression of the damage inflicted. Most vehicles were damaged by shrapnell from nearby explosions with some evidence of machine gun damage from above. Interestingly the report also states that no evidence of rocket motors or direct evidence of the rocket propelled attacks (... by Typhoons...) could be found.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #32
Funksammler

I found this quote from the "Kriegstagebuch" of the 5th Panzer army:

"10.6 20:30 Mehrmaliger Angriff amerik.Jabos und 2-mot Bomber auf Gef.Stand Panzergruppe. Im Stabe 17 Tote und 1 Vermisster. Unter den Toten des Chef des Genst. Gen.Maj.v.Dawans, 1a Major i.G Burgstahler, 1d Major i.G v.Waldow, O 1 Rittm.Kühl, O 3 Rittm.Buchheim. Vermisst Flivo der Panzergruppe Hauptmann Hinkeldeyn. Bei der Pz.Gr.Nachr.Abt.676 12 Tote , darunter der L.d.N.Oblt.Fugh. Bei Wachkp.3 Tote. Nachts weiterhin laufend Bordwaffen-angriffe auf La Caine.
Stab in den Nachtsunden auf dem Gef.Stand herausgezogen un zu H.Qu verlegt.
O.B.-Staffel verlegt 23.00 Uhr zur Qu.-Staffel.
Gemäss Funkspruch Chef des Stabes AOK 7 an I.SS.Pz.Korps gibt Panzergruppe den Befehl an Kom.Gen. I.SS-Pz.Korps ab."

Of the 17 killed, 12 were in the Pz.Gr.Nachrichten.Abt. 676. The "Leutnant der Nachrichten: Oblt Fuhg is mentioned specifically. Note that his name is spelled incorrectly in the "Kriegstagebuch". The Bombing Analysis Unit report also misspells his name taken from the original grave marker at la Caine as "Fulig". I visited his grave at la Cambe this afternoon:

photo P1040622_zps7vykv5ds.jpg

What is clear is that the signals unit 676 was the hardest hit unit during the raid.

regards,

Funksammler

Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #33
Yuri D.
Association Member

More pictures of this rack I found in my archives:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8KHM250BFunk1.jpg (134.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 251_3interiorElevatedWBS_ML .jpg (112.8 KB, 121 views)

Old 12-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #34
Yuri D.
Association Member

And more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251_3VRosiInteriorML.jpg (29.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Concord70160019_resize.jpg (93.4 KB, 116 views)

Old 12-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #35
Yuri D.
Association Member

A couple of more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ellissen 05.jpg (186.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg GP38.jpg (93.4 KB, 121 views)

Old 12-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #36
Funksammler

Thanks for posting these, they show some interesting details of the variations that could be build with the late war type frame. The one of the Luftwaffe Flivo's is different though, this was a special frame to hold the FuG 10 aircraft installation. They have strapped a Torn.E.b with battery case on top for good measure....

regards,

Funksammler

Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #37
Funksammler

Tomorrow, it will be 74 years that the la Caine raid took place. It has also been over two years that the remarkable story of the radio rack unfolded. I mentioned back than that the story was not quite over yet so this 74th anniversary seems to be a good moment to write the next chapter.

In an earlier posting we discussed weather the rack should be restored or perhaps kept as original. Not long after these discussions another Sd.Kfz 251 Ausf. D radio rack was uncovered in Normandy. This second find was in very poor condtion, however it showed a different radio configuration (2x Mw.E.c and a 30 W.S), demonstrating that the rack was indeed of a flexible modular design. Most importantly, this new find had the remains of the complete support frame:

Although the second frame was in too poor a condition to restore, but it did provide the detail to build an accurate picture of what the complete frame must have looked like.

Together with a friend we mulled over the possibilities of replicating the frame and after a few false starts the decision was taken to make a few replicas of the frame in different configurations. So now I can present a recreation of what the radio frame would have looked like before it was destroyed in an air attack 74 years ago:

The setup of the Sd.Kfz.251/3 IV Ausf. D is faithfully recreated with the FU11SE100 and FU12SE80 sets. The radio sets are mounted on the sprung subframe while the power supplies are all mounted on the unsprung support frame. A series of rubber "A" shaped radio buffers connects the two frames.

The rubber buffers can just be spotted on the right hand side of the frame. On the left side, a double row of buffers is fitted to carry the weight of the 80 W.S.

A front few shows the 80 W.S. in place:

We have subsequently found that the frame holding the 80 W.S. can also hold the 15 W.S.E.a, so the empty space under the transmitter is not for a drawer or something, it is just that they designed the frames to hold different radio sets creating a flexible modular design allowing many different setups.

A close up of the 80 W.S.a:

Note that the 80 W.S.a is clamped into the frame by turning two large butterfly screws. All the radios are clamped into the frame in a similar way.

The bottom of the support frame has a tray to hold the receiver power supplies and a storage box for the GG400:

Again the design is modular, the tray can hold two E.U.a's or E.W.c's or any combination of these. A late war Schaltkasten (Fu) a1 provides 12V to all the Umformers and allows the GG400 to be connected to recharge the batteries when the vehicle is stationary. The GG400 fits snugly in the storage box with the spares part box slotted in a holder on the side. The transmitter Umformers are fitted to the back of the support frame:

The U80 and U100 slot into a special U-shaped "gutter" on the bottom and are held firmly in place by two bolts through the frame. Like the rest of the frame holes are pre-drilled so that different Umformer supports for the U30 and U10 can be mounted on the back frame.

A final overview photograph of the frame:

We have not discover any particular mounting points for a holder of the Funkeruhr. Some (very vague) photos suggest that the Funkeruhr was sometimes placed on top of the frame as illustrated, the clock just fits in the space between the support and outer frames and seems to sit quite secure.

There are still quite a few things to do before the frame is 100% finished and operational, but it is starting to give a good impression of what the radio installation in a Panzerbefehlswagen would have looked like.

regards,

Funksammler