wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

P-38 value?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
bodes

Default P-38 value?

Forum members, I just looked at a Walther ac42 P-38 w/holster and two magazines....The pistol shows use with about 85% bluing, chocolate brown colored grips....One magazine has serial number scratched onto the side (not factory done)....Holster is '44 dated and soft w/light markings.....No eagle w/swastika can be seen and only one letter ( X ) in the maker code can be made out.....I'm guessing 'CXN' is the maker......He's asking $1200, but not sure whether that's a fair price....Only one I own has a hard shell holster, made by mauser, that was $450 about twenty years ago.....Thoughts on potential value appreciated, Bodes

Old 10-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
bodes

Just hoping for a quick evaluation, as I'm limited to what I can do on this pad....I will go to the library tomorrow and see what they're getting for them on gunbroker.....Don't believe it's any thing special...Manufacturer and year are not stacked, so it's not an FN slide......Bodes

Old 10-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
phild

I would say that is near the top end of retail (sight unseen of course) for what you describe.

IMO, about $1000 for the pistol in that condition (+ or - 10% as always) and about $200 for the holster and spare mag. Nothing wrong with the price as I would be asking about the same, but more realistic for a sale at about $900-$1000 and that would be to someone just wanting a "decent example".

Old 10-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Sgt. Steiner
Association Member

$1200 sounds high. The AC 42's are desirable but at 85% I would not pay that much. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
bodes

Thanks Phil & Sarge, I guess I was thinking about $800-900.....It's not as nice as my mauser made P38, so I don't have to have it.....Also wanted to inquire because I figured early made examples would be desirable....Too bad it doesn't have a '42 dated hardshell holster, Bodes

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
Thanks Phil & Sarge, I guess I was thinking about $800-900.....It's not as nice as my mauser made P38, so I don't have to have it.....Also wanted to inquire because I figured early made examples would be desirable....Too bad it doesn't have a '42 dated hardshell holster, Bodes
I was thinking the same thing.