wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #16
Schwerpunkt
Association Member

We know DD Heer M40's exist but were not factory produced. (On that note I am looking at specific reissued M35's DD Luftwaffe with post 1940 components).
But for which reason tricolors were added we do not know yet.
The few good ones that have tricolors share the patina with the other decal.
What this one is concerned I like what I see but would love to see a straight up taken photo of the tricolor.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

I have bought several vet lots with fake items mixed in, often given to the vet by well meaning friends or bought by the vet at a show because they reminded him of something he'd picked up and lost during the war.
That said, I like this helmet though the tricolor shield details are a bit odd too.
The smart alecky comments only serve to make us look like a typical facebook discussion group...
Eric

Old 02-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #18
ROBB
Association Member

Mine is EF64 lot number 5046 , Rob

Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #19
MAUSER99

I agree totally.. I personally was in a vets home in PA and had the pleasure of seeing all his items. Some were amazing and original some were post war fakes. Some vets acquired items all their lives and bought fake stuff just like the rest of us either knowingly or just settled due to cost of the real deal. We will never know. On the topic helmet Both decals are real IMHO tricolor looks fine and had the overlap I like to see or offset print. It shows honest age as well.. Both of these decals are still avail in fairly high numbers even today so that's where the ??? lay and always will. Seeing if the Heer decal looking as if it were painted up to and slightly over raises questions. A nice clear front shot may help.
M40dd heer are super scarce and somewhat controversial when they come up for sale a second or third time little interest is shown from my experience.
My2 cents.. interesting debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
I have bought several vet lots with fake items mixed in, often given to the vet by well meaning friends or bought by the vet at a show because they reminded him of something he'd picked up and lost during the war.
That said, I like this helmet though the tricolor shield details are a bit odd too.
The smart alecky comments only serve to make us look like a typical facebook discussion group...
Eric

Old 02-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #20
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypall View Post
so we have a smart a$$,,,,,I know COA's aren't worth the paper they are printed on to some,,but pls, show me a scandal in wich Shirlin was involved in,,show me a bogus lid he ever sold,,,

as for under the paint/over the paint,,,I would really like to hear from someone a bit more knowledgeable than a reserve first officer sitting in a hotel room in Florida surfing the web and trying to make points with the collecting community by armchair observations
Come on man you don't need to act like a dullard because other collectors think your helmet might be a fake show some class.

Enjoy your hobby
Dennis J

Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #21
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSER99 View Post
I agree totally.. I personally was in a vets home in PA and had the pleasure of seeing all his items. Some were amazing and original some were post war fakes. Some vets acquired items all their lives and bought fake stuff just like the rest of us either knowingly or just settled due to cost of the real deal. We will never know. On the topic helmet Both decals are real IMHO tricolor looks fine and had the overlap I like to see or offset print. It shows honest age as well.. Both of these decals are still avail in fairly high numbers even today so that's where the ??? lay and always will. Seeing if the Heer decal looking as if it were painted up to and slightly over raises questions. A nice clear front shot may help.
M40dd heer are super scarce and somewhat controversial when they come up for sale a second or third time little interest is shown from my experience.
My2 cents.. interesting debate.

Agree, the decals look better on a regular computer screen and not an I-Pad....However, original unused WW2 decals survived the war and could have been spuriously added afterwards....Bodes

Old 02-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #22
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
Agree, the decals look better on a regular computer screen and not an I-Pad....However, original unused WW2 decals survived the war and could have been spuriously added afterwards....Bodes
You older collectors and dealers know that back in the 50's 60's and before many dealers and collectors had a lot of orig. decals that they put on helmets and knew how to do it as well.I bought a ton of them(many)from Atwood and Floyd Tubbs and many so called honest dealers we know today did it all the time.I am not naming names but there were guys who back then knew batch numbers shell and liner sizes and the type of decals that went on the helmets.Real helmet collectors know and can more times than not tell if they are post war or not.

Dennis J

M40 DD Heer
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #23
Dan-K
Association Member

Default M40 DD Heer

Personally I like it and if it is corroborated by the lot # book I see no reason for the intense scrutiny . Also , nobody appreciates it when they have items for sale and someone decides to question their legitimacy . There is questioning an item and then there is waging an all-out campaign against one , I think for whatever reason it seems as the prosecuting side here took things a bit too personal . If you venture to cast the first stone expect to have one thrown back .

Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #24
nzef1940
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-K View Post
Personally I like it and if it is corroborated by the lot # book I see no reason for the intense scrutiny . Also , nobody appreciates it when they have items for sale and someone decides to question their legitimacy . There is questioning an item and then there is waging an all-out campaign against one , I think for whatever reason it seems as the prosecuting side here took things a bit too personal . If you venture to cast the first stone expect to have one thrown back .

Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #25
panzer1432

Looks to be an early M 40, steel galvanized liner, early eagle...all increase the possibility of a natl shield, looks to me to be a third decal. natl shield applied over the original decal. I think it's good.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #26
Dennis J
Association Member

I really like the helmet jmo it is rare and as said looks good to me.I never said I did like the helmet just the name calling I don't like...no reason to do that.

Dennis J

Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #27
Gene
Lifetime Member

I believe it's original too, I just wouldn't call it minty.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #28
Dennis J
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I believe it's original too, I just wouldn't call it minty.
I agree it no where near "minty".

Dennis J

Old 02-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
ENGLISH BOB
Association Member

A nice looking EF and the tricolour certainly looks like its always been there...
The chinstrap does not give me any concerns either
cheers
Bob

Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #30
Willi Z.
Forums Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypall View Post
So in other words, since its not textbook,,,lets round up the mob...
I suppose the lot numbers (facts) mean nothing then since the tri color angular lines fall short of the vertical,,(whatever that means)

I purchased the helmet from Dave Shirlin, who purchased it from the veterans family, is Dave a known helmet humper?
Dave is probably one of the most honest guys in the hobby...I have his COA for this,, should I file in his local district court then because the tri color lines fall short of vertical??
There is nothing wrong in discussing an item offered on the E-Stand. In fact it is encouraged. Most are responding in an affirmative manner.

Just take it easy. And please provide some straight on photos of the decals.

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

Sapere aude