wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > John Burnett Helmet Forum

John Burnett Helmet Forum One of the most distinguishing characteristics of the German fighting force was their Stahlhelm.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #16
MrMiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
Don't forget these were original WW2 German m-31 liners used in some of these Norwegian reissued helmets.....They would have had a varying degree of use and soiling, so the dye too will tend to vary in shade....Bodes
I know. I live in Norway. I see them all the time. To me, this color is different.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiler View Post
I know. I live in Norway. I see them all the time. To me, this color is different.

Yet, you couldn't tell the second helmet appeared postwar Norwegian painted?....To quote one from you...

Quote:
Interesting!

Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #18
320Driver
Association Member

I have handled quite a few Norwegian reissues, and this is not one of them. The color is different, and it was applied by brush. Norwegian reissues were done more professionally, and the liners were extracted before being painted. Also any previous decals were removed and the shell sanded down.

Not in this helmet, and also this liner is not died. It is just a dark brown pig skin and got a little darker from the mentioned conditioning.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320Driver View Post
I have handled quite a few Norwegian reissues, and this is not one of them. The color is different, and it was applied by brush. Norwegian reissues were done more professionally, and the liners were extracted before being painted. Also any previous decals were removed and the shell sanded down.

Not in this helmet, and also this liner is not died. It is just a dark brown pig skin and got a little darker from the mentioned conditioning.
That's interesting, because in over forty years of collecting military and attending shows, I remember only seeing one in it's original Norwegian refurbishment......Today, they're not real esy to find....Many of the ones that came into this country were sold through Unique Imports (Alexandria, Virginia)....And those were repainted/redecaled and sold as WW2 era helmets, which they were.....Bodes

Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
bodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
That's interesting, because in over forty years of collecting military and attending shows, I remember only seeing one in it's original Norwegian refurbishment......Today, they're not real easy to find....Many of the ones coming into this country were sold off through Unique Imports (Alexandria, Virginia)....And those were repainted/redecaled and sold as WW2 era helmets, which they were.....Bodes
I will further add, I still own my Unique Imports helmet from 1976.....And have to say the color is real close, as the inside of the shell remains with it's original Norwegian repaint inside....

Also remember Europe was in chaos following WW2, with many countries economies in ruin, and fears of the Soviet Union perhaps deciding to invade the rest of the continent....Countries like Finland and Norway than stocking up on all the discarded German equipment they could obtain....And whose to say, immediately following the war that Norway didn't brush paint the early helmets as an expedient?.....

If your posted helmet is in fact not what I claim it to be, just curious as to what you think it is?.....Bodes

Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
320Driver
Association Member

Well, I live in Germany you find Norwegian reissue helmets here on ebay every other week or so.

To me seems like a simple field done overpaint, with some paint that was available to the soldier. Maybe the light green was more fitting to his current battle scenario than the dark color the helmet was in before. It seems the color is very close to the one from the NSKK repainted helmet.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #22
MrMiler

Thaks for the info on the leather being dark brown and not Norwegian dyed Driver320.

As for paint on german helmets used postwar by Norway. There are many colors. Sometimes they ware sandblasted before repaint. Sometimes not. Sometimes they got a completely new liner, but most common is the original german m31 liner that was normally dyed red (BUT you will also find some helmets where the liner is not dyed).

Anyway, just so everyone is clear. This post-war discussion paint etc does not apply to my NSKK helmet. My NSKK is all wartime done.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #23
dasboot2011

Quote:
Thaks for the info on the leather being dark brown and not Norwegian dyed Driver320.

As for paint on german helmets used postwar by Norway. There are many colors. Sometimes they ware sandblasted before repaint. Sometimes not. Sometimes they got a completely new liner, but most common is the original german m31 liner that was normally dyed red (BUT you will also find some helmets where the liner is not dyed).

Anyway, just so everyone is clear. This post-war discussion paint etc does not apply to my NSKK helmet. My NSKK is all wartime done.
Your helmet looks very convincing. A nice pick up congrats!

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #24
Jean-Loup
Association Member

About the white decal under the paint, it seems to me that when paint is removed from overpainted decals, the decals can be completely white.

JL

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #25
MrMiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
About the white decal under the paint, it seems to me that when paint is removed from overpainted decals, the decals can be completely white.

JL

Yes. I have seen that too.

However, my helmet doesn’t have any other colour other than the original colour under the overpaint that was applied before the NSKK decal was put in place.

It’s a mystery...