wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

I ended up turning down a beautiful Wurttemburg 26th Dragoon Officer helmet from a well known collector friend a few years ago. Turned out that the enamel star on the front of the helmet was a fake, made in Germany back in the early to mid-1980's era. My friend had purchased the helmet at a well-known UK auction house back in the late 1980's. He didn't collect pickelhaubes either, and he had purchased it at the auction in good faith.

Fortunately I showed the helmet to a couple of friends who are two of the top guys in this collector area while at the Show of Shows, and we took the helmet plate off the helmet with my friend's permission. It turned out that the enamel star was a reproduction, made in Germany some 35 or so years ago. It looked beautiful, and the enamel work would fool 99% of the collectors out there.

As beautiful as your helmet looks, I would be very cautious with the enamel star on this helmet. I would like to see it in person, close-up, and also probably take the front plate off the helmet before I would be a serious buyer for it. In this case, a nice close up photo of it won't cut it, sorry. I would need to see it in person.

Is there a story as to where this came from? I think that I'm not the only one here who would like to hear where you purchased this from, in light that you reveal that you don't collect picklehaubes.

I'm actually interested in the helmet, quite seriously speaking, but I would need to see it in person and examine the enamel work on the star on the front plate.

Best Regards,

Alan

Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
hcliffe
Association Member

Hi Alan, where I procured this helmet is a fair question and one I don't mind sharing. Several years ago I was really hot and heavy into expanding my collection. Not as much anymore.... But I was always seeking out new sources of collectibles. Thru happenstance I became acquainted with an estate sale rep who was liquidating the estate of a deceased collector. The collection was helmet and 3rd reich heavy. So I did procure a very large part of that collection and this helmet was part of it since it seemed like a neat, untouched rare item at a fair price. To this day I have 25 helmets and some other misc items from that group. I have sold a few of the items since then but not many.

So there is no definitive provenance for this helmet; I don't even know the name of the collector. I am certainly open to additional pics of the helmet and whatever hands on inspection people may want. There were a few duds in the collection (like almost everyone's) so there is always the chance there are issues with this one.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #18
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Hello,

Thanks for your nice reply, and information on the provenance of the helmet.

I'll post some photos of the 26th Dragoon Regiment helmet that a friend of mine had, which I almost purchased, before finding out the enamel star was an old copy made in Germany back in the 1980's.

My friend's helmet would probably fool 99% of the collectors of pickelhaubes, and it had me fooled, thinking it was o.k. Fortunately I was able to show it to Randy Trawnik at the SOS, and learned that the enamel work was done in Germany in the 1980's.

Best Regards,

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wuert-1.jpg (55.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Wuert-2.jpg (38.3 KB, 48 views)

Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

More photos of the other Wurttemburg helmet, supposed 26th Dragoon Officer helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wuert-3.jpg (39.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Wuert-5.jpg (45.7 KB, 48 views)

Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
ww1czechlegion
Association Member

Last photo of my friend's old helmet, a supposed 26th Dragoon officer pickelhaube. Sadly not real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wuert-4.jpg (34.3 KB, 48 views)