wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum

Heer Uniforms and Insignia Forum Uniforms, insignias and armbands.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
djpool
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspare View Post
I've always thought the only insig issued on these reworks were the eagle.. I've had 3 POAs, and one YBB.. All were the bevo type none were sewn thru the lining.
But with these things and depending how late war is was I guess anything can be.. Gotta have faith with these,,either love 'em or stay away from one..

I had a YBB for many years,,a beauty. We're moving and really can't take care of larger items anymore so,, I sold it at the MAX at very low price to this Organization in Toronto for Ukrainian families to see and learn that their family weren't nazis and most of the time just fighting for independence late war and after!!. Sorry for the mini rant,,but that eagle too was bevo type and not thru lining..
The only thing I know is that the tunic is original. The insignia has been there a long time and has settled into the cloth. Whether it's 1960s old vs 1940s old is in the eye of the beholder. The VS wore a variety of civilian and military clothing and insignia. The majority of them appear to have worn civilian clothing. I attached a few pictures. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0CC2721A-B35A-4176-97A8-DD7A858BAB48.jpeg (62.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpeg 051E8413-23C7-46ED-836F-EC1B54DFD9DE.jpeg (95.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg F3B6CEF7-87CC-4F49-9851-968FE02CA820.jpg (115.9 KB, 193 views)

Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
djpool
Association Member

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 26990EE8-CF46-401A-AD30-FD7D6C430D2E.jpeg (110.2 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpeg 4086AE0E-B5BA-46CF-B8C8-989EE9FE0401.jpeg (132.3 KB, 194 views)

tunic
Old 10-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #18
paul.j
Association Member

Default tunic

I've had a couple of these Dutch re issues over the years and they both had factory applied litzen, original to them and no doubt. For some reason eagles on these always seems to be hand applied, could be due to the thickness of material, not really sure but never seen a machine applied eagle on them that I can remember.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #19
djpool
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.j View Post
I've had a couple of these Dutch re issues over the years and they both had factory applied litzen, original to them and no doubt. For some reason eagles on these always seems to be hand applied, could be due to the thickness of material, not really sure but never seen a machine applied eagle on them that I can remember.
Like you mentioned it's would be very difficult to machine sew an eagle on this tunic because of the thickness of the lining material. However I've seen a number of original late war German made tunics that were machine sewn through the lining material. I think it was just quicker to do it that way. Jim

Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #20
Alex Ciavaglia
Association Member

I have a new Dutch tunic reused by the Germans, never issued, with the eagle removed but with clear traces of the previous seams on the lining.
When all these Dutch tunics fell on German hands, they brought them to Germany, applied a new collar new side pockets and breast eagle. It must be a simplified work, and to disassemble the lining for applying the breast eagle did not have any sense. Even, on the first tunics received, they clothed the collar with the green abzeichentuch and never mounted the side pokets.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #21
Johnny R
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
I have a new Dutch tunic reused by the Germans, never issued, with the eagle removed but with clear traces of the previous seams on the lining.
When all these Dutch tunics fell on German hands, they brought them to Germany, applied a new collar new side pockets and breast eagle. It must be a simplified work, and to disassemble the lining for applying the breast eagle did not have any sense. Even, on the first tunics received, they clothed the collar with the green abzeichentuch and never mounted the side pokets.
There actually is not one standard German modification of these. Some have side pockets added, others do not. Some have external bags added on the upper pockets etc. Like Waffenrocks there are many different variations of what was done to them in factories and then tunics were modified by tailor as well. My feeling about the one that started the thread is that the eagle is post war and an original Dutch tunic was collector modified after the War to create a "Volksturm tunic".

tunic
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #22
paul.j
Association Member

Default tunic

I'm not talking about German made tunics, I'm talking about the subject the thread is about, a Dutch re-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpool View Post
Like you mentioned it's would be very difficult to machine sew an eagle on this tunic because of the thickness of the lining material. However I've seen a number of original late war German made tunics that were machine sewn through the lining material. I think it was just quicker to do it that way. Jim

Old 10-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
djpool
Association Member

Here are a few pics posted by Gran Sasso showing Dutch tunics used by the VS. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VS-01.jpg (169.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg VS-02.jpg (92.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Kopie von 3 001.jpg (56.6 KB, 100 views)

Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #24
DennyB

Fred, I am pretty sure that breast eagle is original but fairly uncommon. I had one about 20 years ago that came from a vet's estate sale but I let a fellow talk me out of it.
I am not really sure of the era these were made but they often appear on late war tunics, seems like on Volkssturm tunics.